PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft crash near wymeswold

clinique_happy
21st Aug 2013, 21:37
Just heard on bbc news East Midlands light aircraft crashed near wymeswold 1 pilot and 1 passenger on board

Burnie5204
21st Aug 2013, 23:14
Hmmm...

Wonder who told them as at the time the program started the press release was only just being approved.

Police were called by the ambulance service at 7:55pm tonight (Wednesday August 21) to a report of a light aircraft that had come down in a field near Wymeswold.

It is believed the aircraft contained a pilot and one passenger.

Officers are in the process of ensuring immediate family are aware of the incident.

Police are currently securing the scene for the Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB) who will be investigating the cause.

There are no further details at this time.

Light aircraft comes down in Wymeswold field | Leicestershire Police (http://www.leics.police.uk/news-appeals/news/2013/08/21/light-aircraft-comes-down-in-wymeswold-field#.UhVKByPTWTk)

staplefordheli
22nd Aug 2013, 10:09
Reported that both pilot and passenger were killed sadly

Two dead in light aircraft crash in field near Wymeswold, near Loughborough, Leicestershire Police confirms | This is Leicestershire (http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/UPDATE-dead-light-aircraft-crash-Leicestershire/story-19692604-detail/story.html#axzz2cguX5Qdn)

John R81
22nd Aug 2013, 10:14
Registration visible on the newspaper photo.

Aviation Safety site
ASN Aircraft accident 21-AUG-2013 Europa XS G-GBXS (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=158790)

CAA registration
GINFO Search Results | Aircraft Register | Operations and Safety (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=detailnosummary&fullregmark=GBXS)

And now BBC reporting
BBC News - Two killed in light aircraft crash in Leicestershire (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-23794300)

G-F0RC3
22nd Aug 2013, 12:19
Europa is a homebuild isn't it? I wonder if it was a mechanical fault.

Pilot Wife
22nd Aug 2013, 13:01
If you look on G-INFO you will see that this particular aeroplane was built by the Europa Aircraft Company Ltd., and was the prototype XS.

Heston
22nd Aug 2013, 13:35
Europa is a homebuild isn't it? I wonder if it was a mechanical fault.

Gosh, what an amazingly tactful, helpful and perceptive post. :=

A and C
22nd Aug 2013, 14:12
The assumption that a mechanical fault is likely to be the cause of a home built aircraft accident is an error that has no basis in truth.

While I won't comment on this unfortunate accident as an LAA inspector I find that most LAA types get a lot More care and attention that aircraft on a C of A and generally the engineering standards are high.

robin
22nd Aug 2013, 14:47
A bit early to assume mechanical or structural failure.

The photos of the incident show the aircraft largely intact with its back broken.

If I were a betting man I'd guess this was a stall spin, and nothing to do with a malfunction.

On the point about LAA types and CofA types.

I've seen some real dogs of homebuilts, where a purchaser has had to go to the LAA to ask how it ever got a Permit. Similarly I've seen CofA aircraft maintained at huge expense where no ADs were done and some were frankly dangerous.

On other hand, aircraft of all types in the right hands can be immaculate and well-loved.

Let's not go down this road again

robin
22nd Aug 2013, 15:27
Lone_Ranger

Touche

G-F0RC3
22nd Aug 2013, 15:29
Please don't jump to conclusions on the motives behind my post above. I said I "wonder", because I do not know; I wasn't suggesting that I suspected this to be caused by a mechanical fault.

But on the point of "tactful", "helpful", and "perceptive"; I do not see what is morally questionable with being curious as to the cause - and I certainly don't think it's unhelpful. As someone who is interested in safety, I am all too aware that there are bound to be lessons that can be learned from this - as there are with every such accident. It is with no intention of disrespect to the victims or their families that I endeavour to learn something from this. Indeed they deserve to be shown the greatest amount of respect in what must be a very difficult time for them. However, is not the purpose of this forum to discuss the technicalities of such tragedies?

Heston
22nd Aug 2013, 16:52
Please don't jump to conclusions on the motives behind my post above. I said
I "wonder", because I do not know; I wasn't suggesting that I suspected this to
be caused by a mechanical fault

G-FORC3
I'm sorry that I let my irritation with your post show, and its not appropriate for us to squabble. But can you not see that if you weren't suggesting a connection to the fact that it was homebuilt, you might just have well posted, "The Europa is a single engine aircraft isn't it? I wonder if it was engine failure"?

I'm not going to say more in this thread.

jetsetter250
22nd Aug 2013, 18:30
I think G-Force accidentally exposed a slight bias, whether he realizes it or not, that somehow a homebuilt aircraft is of less quality than a manufactured one. It's easy to make this correlation and obvious why, because everyone assumes some random idiot could never build something as complicated as a plane, and requires the fine tuning and expertise of an experienced builder. I would agree if not for the fact that I've never heard of the wings falling off a homebuilt during flight. Since experimentals dont use homebuilt engines, what else is there to go wrong? Even if it was mechanical per se, it wouldnt be the fault of the builder. Buy a better engine next time.

staplefordheli
22nd Aug 2013, 19:19
Bit more info been released tonight
It appears the AC was on approach to a private landing strip in the village and fell 300 yards short
very sad indeed for whatever reason which I wont speculate on. Best to leave that to the AAIB please

Two people die after plane crashes in field King?s Farm, in Narrow Lane, Wymeswold, near Loughborough, Leicestershire | This is Leicestershire (http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/UPDATE-Father-daughter-killed-plane-crash/story-19694305-detail/story.html#axzz2cguX5Qdn)

Rod1
22nd Aug 2013, 19:24
"Since experimentals dont use homebuilt engines,"

Some do!

CAA accept that permit aircraft are no more likely to suffer mechanical failure than G reg c of a. A report looking at 20 years of accidents actually had LAA 2.5% better than g reg c of a. Many builders would never trust their pride and joy to a man in a rush.

Rod1

tmmorris
22nd Aug 2013, 19:58
If the CAA accept that, why do they maintain the absurd 'no flight over built-up areas' rule?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
22nd Aug 2013, 20:06
If I were a betting man I'd guess this was a stall spin, and nothing to do with a malfunction.

Looking at the photos, +1 on that.

Mark 1
22nd Aug 2013, 20:11
tmmorris If the CAA accept that, why do they maintain the absurd 'no flight over built-up areas' rule?

That rule was rescinded several years ago for the reasons that Rod quoted.

Burnie5204
22nd Aug 2013, 21:10
Robin, SSDriver

Having seen the scene - no spin involved.

Aircraft crash site is just short of the boundary hedge to the west oriented grass strip. At 19:50 (approx time of crash) there was quite a low sun as it was 20 min prior to sunset.

Russell Gulch
22nd Aug 2013, 21:39
tmmorris, you are in error. That rule was changed some years ago, after a long discussion between the PFA and CAA, so please give the CAA some credit, where it is due.

cyclic35
23rd Aug 2013, 11:44
This tragic event is significant because a young man was close to where the lives of his Father and Sister were taken.
My thoughts are with the family and especially this man, who I hope can eventually come to terms with his tragic loss.

NutLoose
23rd Aug 2013, 17:26
Eye witness speaks about the accident, makes some tough listening too.

BBC News - Leicestershire light aircraft crash plane was 'unrecognisable' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-23796177)

I hope the young man mentioned wasn't the son / brother.

Edit

Oh God, he was. :(

Two people die after plane crashes in field King?s Farm, in Narrow Lane, Wymeswold, near Loughborough, Leicestershire | This is Leicestershire (http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/UPDATE-Father-daughter-killed-plane-crash/story-19694305-detail/story.html#axzz2cguX5Qdn)

FlyingOfficerKite
26th Aug 2013, 20:28
who I hope can eventually come to terms with his tragic loss

Unlkely he ever will.

Probably one of the saddest stories reported on PPRuNe?!

KR

FOK :sad:

Echo Romeo
26th Aug 2013, 21:57
That is just so shockingly awful, I just can't imagine what that family must be going through, sickening.

My heartfelt condolences.