PDA

View Full Version : Learning in South West France.

lossiemouth
21st Aug 2013, 10:14
I'm staying south of Bergerac in South West France and would like to take my PPL, after promising myself this for over 30 years.:sad:

The question is does anyone know of a school with an instructor who can speak English (aiming to learn French at the same time). In an ideal world I'd like to give the Robin DR400 a go.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Piper.Classique
21st Aug 2013, 22:58
Sure, you can learn in France with an English speaking instr, no problem, but you need to decide which country you want to issue your licence.if it's France it will cost less but you do the exams in French, and you need to do an RT test in English to use the radio in English, in addition to the French test. I am probably too far from Bergerac for you, at LFDW but PM me if not.

m.Berger
22nd Aug 2013, 04:54
The difficulty is often the weather with strong thermals much of the day.

gasax
22nd Aug 2013, 07:38
I'd bimble into your local aeroclub. It is likely that one of the instructors will have a smattering of English.

If you learn in French it will be a double win - learning to fly and improving your language skills. I've flown with instructors with no English - it is surprisingly easy to understand the concepts and practice. The bonus is that because you're doing something you're interested in the new words stick.

lossiemouth
22nd Aug 2013, 12:27
Sure, you can learn in France with an English speaking instr, no problem, but you need to decide which country you want to issue your licence.if it's France it will cost less but you do the exams in French, and you need to do an RT test in English to use the radio in English, in addition to the French test. I am probably too far from Bergerac for you, at LFDW but PM me if not.
Thanks for the info, and offer, sadly I think you are a bit too far. Thanks again.

The difficulty is often the weather with strong thermals much of the day.
Got to get used to them at some time I suppose.

I'd bimble into your local aeroclub. It is likely that one of the instructors will have a smattering of English.

If you learn in French it will be a double win - learning to fly and improving your language skills. I've flown with instructors with no English - it is surprisingly easy to understand the concepts and practice. The bonus is that because you're doing something you're interested in the new words stick.
My thoughts exactly, I'm useless at sitting down and being taught, hopefully the need to have French will spur me on. Thanks for all the replies so far:)