PDA

View Full Version : What kit for navigation

AberdeenAngus
20th Aug 2013, 08:10
Starting navigation exercises shortly. I'm overwhelmed by all the rulers, plotters, gadgets and gizmo's available.

So..... what's the collective's thoughts on the best starter nav pack ?
What's good, what's bad, essentials or nice-to have ?

AA

A and C
20th Aug 2013, 08:27
Map, protractor , ruler, timing device, pens colors various.

Then search u tube for the training film " Nought Feet " ...... None of the basics have changed !

StuartUK
20th Aug 2013, 08:40
I too have recently started nav exercises and will hopefully be taking the exam this weekend. Managed to pick up a second hand CRP5 (not that this one is required for PPL), a protractor and ruler for £40 from my instructor which also included about an hour or two's ground school. You then just need a chart (£15), pens for the chart (£5 from Staples), pencils to mark the wind side of the whizz wheel, something to erase the pen lines (meths, a rubber, etc), a basic calculator, a kneeboard (£2.50 A5 clipboard from Staples), a theory book, and a watch.

Best of luck if it all.

riverrock83
20th Aug 2013, 09:25
When he says protractor, this worked well for me for everything:
Transair TRNP 1 Radio Navigation Plotter (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Navigation-Plotters-Transair-TRNP-1-Radio-Navigation-Plotter+9422)
I then scribbled out the scales I didn't use so I didn't get them mixed up!

Pen wise, the most useful I've found is the retractable sharpies. Easy to use in the cockpit one handed without the ink drying up (I got mine in Ryman's)! Chinagraph would also work. I also use retractable pencils for writing updates to my plog. Handy hint - attach them to your kneeboard with string...

Wizzwheel ("Flight Computer") wise - any of the ones designed for PPL (or CPL but they cost more) will work, but ask your instructor as they might have a favourite. Check eBay (and the link) for 2nd hand ones. I have a Pooley's CRP-1. Only need to get a Commercial one if you plan to go commercial in the future (they have a few more scales and deal with higher speeds). No need to go for fancy metal ones, and the electronic ones aren't currently allowed in UK exams. Some people like the wind arm, some don't. Personal choice - ask your instructor which he prefers.

If you go with a clipboard, make sure that you can attached it securely to your leg. I went with a transair one (basic is fine) although I managed to break a corner off it after getting one of my pencil strings caught...

Best of Luck!

BackPacker
20th Aug 2013, 09:35
Yep. A map, something to write on the map, something to measure angles and lines, something to do wind and various other calculations, blank or template paper for a plog, a compass (should already be in the aircraft), some sort of timing device (might be in the aircraft too), something to erase the writing on the map and something to hold all this stuff conveniently together. That's about it. Let's not make it any more complicated than it is.

Add in a dose of common sense, a sense of direction and an "idiots check" every now and then and you should be fine.

With "idiots check" I mean that you need to take a step back, look at your work, and ask yourself "what am I doing wrong?" It's similar to the "gross error check": If your route is roughly west, then after all the wind calculations, variation and deviation calculations, the final number should still be 270 plus or minus 30 degrees. If you see a 090 in your calculations, you know something is wrong.

dublinpilot
20th Aug 2013, 10:01
Whatever your instructor says. They are the ones that will be teaching you to use it.

G-F0RC3
20th Aug 2013, 12:05
I recall using Transair Wizplot All In One Plotter (http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+Navigation-Plotters-Transair-Wizplot-All-In-One-Plotter+4101) for my skills test. All the other gear when planning on the ground is good, but for something that does a lot in a short time while in the sky, this is fantastic. :)

Mariner9
20th Aug 2013, 12:56
If you want to save some flying tokens, check out what's available on the Transair site, then avoid the place like the plague while keeping an eye out on ebay for nav stuff.

Most* people ditch whizz wheels and the like the minute they get their PPL and start to use aircraft for their intended purpose - going places, when Sky Demon and a decent GPS will hugely improve flight planning and nav.

*Bar the most hardened Luddites, some of whom will likely respond:E

G-F0RC3
20th Aug 2013, 15:31
Mariner9, the nav aid I quoted above is only £13.99. It might be a lot for a small piece of plastic, but when you're spending £150 /hr flying, what's another £14? :) Especially since it's so helpful! Anyway, I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, it definitely makes sense to shop around with this kind of stuff. For some reason if it's aviation or wedding related the price goes up ten-fold.

I agree on Sky Daemon. I have their GPS and planning software, and it's excellent. However, my primary method of navigation is still with a chart. If the GPS breaks and you can't remember how to use the basics then you're (maybe) in a bit of trouble. :uhoh:

24Carrot
20th Aug 2013, 19:59
In my PPL student days (pre-Sky-Demon) I found the quickest way to calculate headings and times for legs was to draw lines on a chart and then use either the Knightson or Olof Bakker wind protractors, with a hand-made (paper) scale calibrated in minutes. I always planned the same TAS :eek:, so I only needed one scale :).

I just googled for them, but they seem to have disappeared without trace.

Maoraigh1
20th Aug 2013, 20:43
Map. Square protractor. Ruler with aviation scales. If your current on trig, use an UNPROGRAMABLE scientific calculator for wind correction.
(After 20 years out of flying, I had to re-do the exams. I still had a wheel, but found it easier to use a scientific calculator than re-learn it.)

m.Berger
20th Aug 2013, 21:02
Speaking as a hardened luddite, I find SkyDemon light and AirboxArare to be the work of the Devil but then he has all the best tunes:D. This is what you will use once qualified and be glad it exists. Until then, A pad of paper, a cheap whizz wheel and a head full of random numbers, a ruler and protractor and some time. Spend a couple of weeks thinking of three numbers and doing the triangles with ruler and protractor.
Check them with the whizzwheel until they always match. Then you have both ways and the Nav exam will be a doddle.

A and C
21st Aug 2013, 07:24
You don't have to use a wizz wheel, a vector diagram works just as well...... But the wizz wheel is quicker.

Ebbie 2003
23rd Aug 2013, 22:42
I had a cardboard Gleim whizz wheel, a ruler with protractor built in and a $5 calculator - that's all I needed and did OK (had a pad and pen from my hotel room too).

You can go gadget crazy there are all sorts of perspex cross wind calculators, vor plotters but they'll just sleep in the bottom of your flight bag (any rucsack will do)

Tinstaafl
25th Aug 2013, 17:11
Keep it simple.

* An unlaminated chart (easier to fold, no need to use a special marker or cleaning method. If necessary you can write on it with anything.)
* A Jepp CR whiz wheel. Simple to use and the 3 3/4" or 4 1/4" versions are conveniently pocketable. I use the 3 3/4" CR5 size.
* A flight plan/PLOG form. Your school probably has something prepared.
* An A5 or A4 clipboard. A cheap vinyl clip folder turned inside out works fine.
* A 2B pencil ie soft, but not too soft, + some spares for writing on all of the above
* A rubber/eraser for the obvious on all of the above. NB a bit of saliva on your finger works fine on the whiz wheel.
* A scale ruler
* A square protractor
* The watch you already own.
* A small backback with various pockets. Pockets makes it easier to have particular storage spots for things. Makes it easier to find them when you need them.