PDA

View Full Version : selling an aircraft, advice please!

UAV689
16th Aug 2013, 22:58
Hi all,

I am in the process of selling my aircraft, never sold one before!

It is a single seater, would you allow someone to test fly her? Or is it out the question, especially if they dont have a lot of time on a similar type

Thanks

maxred
17th Aug 2013, 09:10
Good luck with the sale. Unless the prospective purchaser could demonstrate an acceptable number of hours and proficiency on type, or similar, then no, I would not let them test fly.

There are also specific insurance considerations to be checked out, prior to anyone flying your aircraft.

My experience has been that if the potential purchaser does not have enough experience, then he organises a suitably qualified pilot/instructor to come along, and if necessary for a purchase, fly the aeroplane. If they buy, then the purchaser can get whatever training he/she needs to after he owns the plane.

Also, there are occasions, similar to selling anything, where nosey pokes pitch up, just to get a flight, but I am sure you can weed those out on first contact..;)

tecman
17th Aug 2013, 10:05
I think maxred has it right. I wouldn't buy an aircraft without having flown it, or having had it flown by someone whose judgement I trusted very well. On the other hand, I wouldn't let a marginally qualified prospective buyer fly my aircraft solo (which of course is the only mode in your aircraft). You'll probably find that it's up to you to arrange suitable insurance for a qualified buyer's representative. If the UK and Australian law is similar, and it usually is, the prospective buyer will run into trouble demonstrating an 'insurable interest'. I once wanted to test fly a prospective purchase on which the owner's flight risk policy had lapsed. After a lot of effort, I did manage to get limited cover but it wasn't straightforward. Best of luck for a quick sale.

UAV689
17th Aug 2013, 10:24
Thanks for advice both, very sensible

gileraguy
17th Aug 2013, 20:44
Save the test flight until everything else is agreed upon (condition, price, etc) then the test flight is the "close".

"So now we have agreed on a deal, if the test flight is satisfactory will you be purchasing the aircraft TODAY?"

That will let you know if you've got a joyrider rather than a buyer and there is no possible objection to the purchase remaining.

BackPacker
17th Aug 2013, 22:50
The other tip I would give you is to knock up a simple website. One single page will do. But on this site/page you have to give as much detailed information about the aircraft as possible. Potential buyers will want all sorts of information and if you're open and up front about that, will give the impression that you can be trusted. Buyers don't appreciate if they have to leech the information out of you.

At a minimum, the site/page should contain:
- Decent pictures of the aircraft from various angles, plus a cockpit and panel shot.
- All information about the airframe, particularly TT, which ADs/SBs have been complied with, plus any damage history.
- All information about the engine/propellor. TTSN, TSMO, whatever. If you have data on cylinder compression trends, oil analysis trends and such, so much the better.
- All information about avionics. Models, types, whatnot.
- Empty weight/arm and pertinent airframe data like MTOW.
- When the next check is due (50 hours, 100 hours, annual, ...)
- Any logbooks or other formal documents that might be missing.
- Any spares and such that are included in the sale.
- If possible: Any data about expected annual and maginal expenditure associated with the aircraft ownership.
- Any conditions of sale (for instance the conditions regarding the check flight).
- FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) from potential buyers as you go along.

Then advertise your aircraft in multiple locations, referring to the website in all cases.

dubbleyew eight
18th Aug 2013, 01:32
you will get an amazing number of nutters come out of the woodwork seeking a cheap bargain if my experience is anything to go by.
I didnt solve that problem.

give me your wallet, credit cards and car keys while you fly and they will be sitting here when you land...
damage it and you've bought it.

Sillert,V.I.
18th Aug 2013, 13:28
It is a single seater, would you allow someone to test fly her?

No, but I'd offer to buy it back and refund the full purchase price if they returned it undamaged after their first flight.

That ought to sort out the timewasters whilst giving a genuine buyer the reassurance they had a way out if the test flight revealed something they were not happy with.

Seems fair to both parties.

BackPacker
18th Aug 2013, 20:01
How about charging a fair (or even high-ish) rental price, which will be deducted from the final sales price?

Furthermore, like maxred said, check the insurance requirements. The potential buyers might not be covered under the existing policy, but it should be possible to add them to the policy for a single or small number of flights for not too much money.