PDA

View Full Version : Skills Test in few weeks

Kevin31
15th Aug 2013, 14:06
Hey All,

got my skills test in few weeks. Not sure I am ready but instructor thinks so. What sort of questions the examiner likely to ask? Been told really need to remeber most the POH?

Any tips?

Also doing it on the same day in 2 seperate flights is that wise?

Dash8driver1312
15th Aug 2013, 14:51
Which skills test? PPL(A), CPL, IR...

trident3A
15th Aug 2013, 15:04
On mine (C152), I got asked what the oil capacity was, what type of flaps were fitted, how the carb heat mechanism worked and potential problems with it

RTN11
15th Aug 2013, 17:05
2 flights? Is this an LAPL you're going for?

If you're not ready, don't do it, or nerves will get the better of you and you'll fail.

Typical questions will be to question your pre-flight planning, starting with simple weight and balance questions. If you get the simple ones wrong they usually probe deeper to get to know your level of understanding.

Leftofcentre2009
15th Aug 2013, 17:08
Passed mine last month. Actual licence arrived in just two weeks!

Questions i was asked about the C152 -
Max Cross wind.
Best rate of climb.
Range.
Fuel Capacity of normal tanks (as opposed to long range versions).
Talked about couple of scenarios plus talked through ALL of the excercises i was expected to do as part of the test during the pre-flight briefing.

My Examiner was a Captain that flies for Flybe. A v nice and laid back chap.
The test wasnt as intense as i was expecting.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :ok:

logie101
15th Aug 2013, 18:07
I did my PPL skills test on a C152 last year. It is best to know your POH inside out but if you are not sure of something just tell the examiner that you don't know but you can look it up in the POH. Once he/she knows that you can find the answer in the POH they are happy.

Do know your speeds, weights and take-off/landing distances.

My test was also over 2 flights as my examiner was a heavy guy so i had to come back and refuel before doing the circuits!

At the end of the day the examiner just wants to see that you are safe and not going to get yourself killed so just relax and try and enjoy the test. If you do anything wrong just keep on flying and forget about it.

Best of Luck.

trident3A
15th Aug 2013, 20:11
The examiner is not looking for perfection, just a safe operation. Do everything by the book, if you make a mistake the best thing is to acknowledge it and carry on.

Good luck!

Jonzarno
15th Aug 2013, 20:43
One thing I was advised to do on mine, and did do (both on my PPL and IR tests), was to identify myself as a student on a skills test, eg: "G-XXXX, student pilot on skills test request radar information service" (yes, it was a few years ago! :O)

It was a very good idea as the ATCs I talked to were very helpful.

Best of luck! :ok:

Pilot.Lyons
18th Aug 2013, 11:21
The examiner is not looking for perfection, just a safe operation. Do everything by the book, if you make a mistake the best thing is to acknowledge it and carry on.

Good luck!

I agree, just make the examiner feel safe to let you fly his/her kids aboutand you will be fine :)

Good luck and report back theresult ;)

EastMids
18th Aug 2013, 12:42
No real need for nerves - just do what you've already been doing... The skills test is just a final check by an independent third party (the examiner) that you're doing things safely and competently, such that you can continue to do it in future without the oversight of an instructor each time.

The thing I was told to bear in mind about the skills test was as follows:

By the time you do your skills test you are already a safe and competent pilot. You have demonstrated that you can plan, fly and navigate, and if things go wrong you can sort it all out and get back on the ground. If that was not the case, they wouldn't let you take off solo in an aeroplane and fly around the circuit or do a solo cross cross country.

Sure you can muck it up - but there's no unexpected gotchas, just do what you've already been doing both with an instructor and on your own (solo).

b2vulcan
18th Aug 2013, 12:52
Passed my PPL skills test a couple of weeks ago.
During the planning stage was asked to demonstrate that W&B was within limits and asked if the runway where we would do the various approaches was long enough for our aircraft and the days weather conditions.
At the end of the flight there were various general aircraft questions such as type of flaps fitted, which of 2 specified instruments would be affected by loss of static pressure, etc.
On such technical issues as above I would suggest revising things you need to know in the air such as what is affected by loss of pitot/static pressure and vaccum, what the symptoms are and how to correct. You can't look such things up in the PoH when you're flying.
Anything you feel rusty on revise, if it's flying ask your instructor to take you through them. Try to get your response to emergencies/unusual attitudes as an automatic reaction, bit like changing gear in a car.
As others have said, the examiner is looking to make sure you can fly safely, make safe decisions, not infringe airspace and talk to ATC correctly, he is not looking for perfection. He will do all he can to make you feel relaxed and if you can do that you should be fine.
If your FI thinks you are ready then you are but you need to be confident as well so if you feel a few more hours training will help say so.

Good luck :O