PDA

View Full Version : Piston Provost

RetiredBA/BY
14th Aug 2013, 20:55
Can anyone help with a copy of the Piston Provost flying instructor's handbook. (AP3225?)

I am an ex CFS standards QFI, (Jet Provost) considering the purchase of a PP which I would wish to operate to CFS standards.

If the purchase goes ahead, I will be offering 3 shares in the machine.

Wander00
14th Aug 2013, 20:57
Good luck - never flew the PP, but trained on the JP 3 and 4. Always had a strange affinity for the PP - saw one at Old Warden this week. always makes me wish I had flown it - did get 45 mins in the BD Harvard several years ago. Magic.

SOSL
14th Aug 2013, 22:00
Piston Provost - YouTube

Rgds SOS

RetiredBA/BY
14th Aug 2013, 22:13
Thanks for the video and good wishes.

I, too, trained on JPs but have a strong urge to fly a big radial before its too late.
6 fts , my own fts, was the last school to fly the PP at Ternhill then Acklington before the JPs arrived.

690, the silver a/c in the video, is the one under consideration !!

SOSL
14th Aug 2013, 22:20
Hope you manage to get it and then enjoy it!

Technically off thread but just for fun

Jet Provost-A Flight in the JP5- Part One - YouTube

and

Jet Provost-A Flight in the JP5 - Part Two - YouTube

and finally

Jet Provost-A Flight in the JP5 - Part Three - YouTube

Rgds SOS

Wwyvern
14th Aug 2013, 22:35
RetiredBA/BY

I have a copy of the PP Instructor Handbook. I'll PM you tomorrow.

Wwyvern

RetiredBA/BY
15th Aug 2013, 06:13
Brilliant, thank you !

I actually live in Cookham, Berks, now, so could collect !

JP5 was the smoothest and quietest JP but the 4 had the best performance, and the type from which I ejected! Visited the crash site last week, local residents still remember it 50 years after the event.

Thanks for the video !!

CoffmanStarter
15th Aug 2013, 07:06
RetiredBA/BY ...

Good luck and please keep us updated :ok:

Coff.

BEagle
15th Aug 2013, 07:21
RetiredBA/BY - I guess you know that there's a PP not a million miles from you at Grazeley? Owned by an ex-BA VC10/Concorde captain and kept at his farm strip.

John Farley
15th Aug 2013, 10:17
RetiredBA/BY

Interested in your JP4 ejection. What was the date?

We had a rogue 4 at Barkston in the '61/'62 time that did not spin like the rest so we would not let studes solo in it. Complained to Boscombe so they came to fly it but did not want to talk to us. They jumped out in their first spin.

JF

RetiredBA/BY
15th Aug 2013, 11:34
Amazing replies so soon !
John, my ejection was on April 18th, 1963. Don't have the T shirt but DO now have the Bremont watch! The cause was one of those false fire warnings.

We (inc. my Then QFI) were guests of MB on the 50th. Anniversary.

All the JPs I spun were very stable and totally predictable, except the 5 which had a rather oscillatory spin, but recovered normally. In my days as a QFI solo spinning was out as were those turn backs which killed more than they saved.

Beagle, didn't know about the Grazely PP. I am ex BA VC 10 too, with more than a passing acquaintance of Concorde, I probably know him! Love to get in touch if you can point me in the right direction, would be good to discuss ownership and it could be mutually beneficial !

The PP I am looking at is currently at Yeovilton but IF I buy it will be brought near to Cookham which means WW or Booker but will need hangaring, too good to leave outdoors in the UK climate.

Thank you all for the replies.

Wander00
15th Aug 2013, 11:52
SOSL - loved the Old Warden video - saw the camo'd aeroplane there on Monday - but thought the PP was changing colour scheme whilst airborne, then realised I had missed a bit at the beginning and there were two of them!

BEagle
15th Aug 2013, 12:03
RetiredBA/BY, if you go to G-INFO and type 'P56 Provost T1' into the search pane, it will list all 5 PPs currently on the UK register:

GINFO Search Results Summary | Aircraft Register | Operations and Safety (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1&mode=summary&aircrafttype=P56%20Provost%20T1)

The one to which I refer is G-AWPH which is the first on the list. Click on the registration and it will give you full details - including the address of 'Ginger', the owner!

I did have his e-mail address, but am not sure if it's still current.

Rosevidney1
15th Aug 2013, 13:15
Interesting comments on the spinning foibles of the Jet Provost, a type I've never tried but long ago I trained on the Provost T 1 and came to love it although it too had an 'interesting' spin. After the airframe driver did all the right things it was in no rush to cease its rotation, a most curious and slightly unsettling trait although it did eventually play the game. :eek:

aw ditor
15th Aug 2013, 15:24
Rtd BA/BY. ISTR there is an AAIB Report into the sad loss of a Piston Provost which occurred a couple or so years ago. I believe there were some recommendations re the Leonides. I'm probably teaching my Granny etc etc etc, for which I apologise. Did "basic" on the PP', great aircraft but, it used to vent fuel into the cockpit on "slow rolls" especially my dreadful ones!

Wander00
15th Aug 2013, 15:38
Air Accidents Investigation: Hunting Percival P56 Provost T1, G-AWVF (http://www.aaib.gov.uk/publications/bulletins/october_2010/hunting_percival_p56_provost_t1__g_awvf.cfm)

AAIB Report here

RetiredBA/BY
15th Aug 2013, 15:56
Thanks again, chaps.

Yes I have read the AAIB report on the accident to the Fairey machine. The engine on 690 has been stripped in accordance with CAA requirements so the gudgeon pins should not be troublesome in the future.

Now my memory has been triggered I do recall that Ginger Bradshaw has a PP, but surprised and pleased he still has it.

I will contact him.

Again, many thanks for all this info. I am most grateful, it will certainly help my decision.

John Farley
15th Aug 2013, 17:09
RetiredBA/BY.

Many thanks. Looked up your aircraft loss in my book of RAF Cat 5s. I shall not mention the crew names quoted!

Funnily enough I had the same light come on out of Barkston when solo in a JP4 and practising a Cranwell pass out form aeros routine. It was accompanied by a rather disturbing pop behind me and a smell of burning but I was well placed so shut it down and landed at Cranwell South.

JF

BEagle
15th Aug 2013, 17:41
Now my memory has been triggered I do recall that Ginger Bradshaw has a PP, but surprised and pleased he still has it.

I will contact him.

Do give the crusty old bugger my regards when you make contact - he and I were instructors together at ULAS in the early 1990s.

Incidentally, he actually won the Kings Cup Air Race in his PP in 1971!!

H Peacock
15th Aug 2013, 18:25
John, my ejection was on April 18th, 1963. Don't have the T shirt but DO now have the Bremont watch! The cause was one of those false fire warnings.

I'm intrigued as to what happened, in my day in the JP I recall the drill for an Engine Fire indication was: Close, Cancel, Climb, Confirm!

CoffmanStarter
15th Aug 2013, 18:29
Slightly off thread ... But is anyone able to offer a comparison on handling between the Piston Provost and the BP Balliol ? What were they like to spin ?

Best ...

Coff.

Wander00
15th Aug 2013, 19:36
Was talking to a guy at Cranwell Flyiing Club Families Day on Sunday who could tell you. I will try and get a name. he was talking to me about the Balliol.

CoffmanStarter
15th Aug 2013, 19:38
Cheers W00 :ok:

Hopefully he might share on here ?

Wander00
15th Aug 2013, 19:41
Coff - will see what I can do. W

SOSL
15th Aug 2013, 19:54
What a sad outcome on 8 Jul 2009! I'm gutted. heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

Rgds SOS

Evalu8ter
15th Aug 2013, 20:47
Beags,
Remember his departure from the Summer camp at St Mawgan in 90 or 91? The Boss' and CFI's faces were pictures....

Ah the PP - a lovely looking and sounding aeroplane - on the 'to do' list for certain.

brokenlink
15th Aug 2013, 21:40
Slight thread creep but..... PP WV499 used to be at North Weald (had the 39 Sqn badge painted on the fin by one of my colleagues) on static display, then to Sandtoft. Last heard off in the West Country. Anyone any idea whether it is still around or even heading back towards flight?

Regards,

BL

Wander00
23rd Aug 2013, 14:20
Sorry Coff, seems some confusion between a 70 years old (me) and an 80+ year old - he had not flown Balliols, but knew guys that had, and had flown a Tempest V five times.

Quote from his e-mail - "Those who did fly them (Balliols) all confirmed that they were a lot of fun. I did fly the Tempest Mk V about five times at Sylt in Germany"

Pity that, had all the promise of an interesting continuation of the thread

Best. W.

Haraka
23rd Aug 2013, 15:23
Haraka Senior was Chief Defects Engineer at Hunting P. in the 50's and had responsibility for the Provost ( not "Piston" please- have some respect).
One feature not widely advertised in the early days was the high number of students chopped for "Air sickness" on the type.
Investigation revealed that fuel fumes were creeping back along the top fuselage skin and under the canopy from the fuel vent. This was not noticed at the time by the hours hardened instructors who rarely suffered. .
The solution IIRC ( it was many years ago) was to reposition this to the top of the fin .

rlsbutler
25th Aug 2013, 18:54
My course did its night flying at Spitalgate because Barkston Heath's runway was being resurfaced in the summer of 1960.

That meant a goose-neck flare path. Although it seems strange now, I think we operated beside a single line of the flares rather than onto a conventional flarepath.

We were all aware of the fuel vent at the very rear of the fuselage. Since the grown-ups did not seem to think this was a fire risk, we students talked a lot of igniting the fuel deliberately.

I made a couple of timid attempts, but bottled out - not for fear of bursting into flames but for fear of the trouble I might get into for trampling the flarepath.

CoffmanStarter
25th Aug 2013, 18:58
W00 ... Many thanks for trying ... Sorry I didn't pick-up with you before now :ok:

aw ditor
25th Aug 2013, 19:40
risbutler

Also did PP' Nights' off the Spitalgate Goosenecks but 5 years earlier. The good citizens of Grantham turned off their street lights at midnight causing some confusion. ISTR we had a proper traditional two line flarepath' with AAIs'. We missed the Balliol by one Term', which given its accident record at Shiny Palace was probably a good thing. See the good Colin Cummings "Category Five" book. It was a bit of a jump' to go from the Chippie to the Balliol with its propensity to torque stall, and I was told with its Merlin and four bladed Prop. it went downhill faster than the Grantham express train to Kings Cross.

A.D.

Wander00
25th Aug 2013, 20:08
Coff - pas de problem. W

smujsmith
25th Aug 2013, 21:17
From a techie point of view,

When I did my apprentice training at Halton, the Piston Provost was the "basic airframe". I remember it for being the only aircraft I ever worked on where you could cross connect the elevator controls easily. Just to explain, most aircraft had flying control runs where adjacent cable couplings were "gendered" to prevent such a mistake. I remember well, connecting, rigging and doing range of movement checks on a PP early in my training. Including a pat on the back from Chiefy, "instructor". It only came to light because we worked out, after the event, that a pull back on the control column means the elevator moves up not down.

Smudge

aw ditor
27th Aug 2013, 15:18
Further to my 32' above (sorry for drift), my well qualified informant states that the College "lost" 18 Balliols in 20 months or, 5 College Terms. This would be in the early to mid 1950s', No. 64 Entry bearing the brunt.

Fareastdriver
27th Aug 2013, 16:38
In the mid seventies the Apprentices School attached to 23 MU at Aldergrove was folding. They had a collection of aircraft consisting of a Devon, two Vampire T11s and a Provost T1 that were runners. The Vampires and Provost were used for taxiing practice so were fully mobile.
I had had a kick around their blister hanger before as the Provost was an ex Tern Hill example that I had previously flown.

The aircraft had been sold. The Vampires to an American concern that refurbished T11s into two seat jet tourers, John Travolta had one, and the Provost to some outfit in the south of England. I was asked if I would like to do the final engine runs on it before it was dismantled and packed off.

It was fully serviceable apart from the hood seal and the clock. The hanger was being cleaned out so all the aircraft were crowded together outside and the Provost was pointing directly at the Devon some five yards away. Chiefy was beside me with the ground running notes which differed slightly from the SOPs I used when I was a kid.

I demonstrated the left over to the right hand throttle technique to keep the control stick back, ran the primer for six seconds and it started first bang!!!!!. We then went through the entire gambit with mag drops, CSU checks and the final exhilarating full power 3000 rpm +8 boost with the long blue flame coning out of the exhaust.

Come the final shutdown and as I wished it a fortunate future something was nagging me about the run. I thought of it that evening. When we did full power runs at Tern Hill we had chained chocks and a couple of airman draped over the tailplane. A flick of the rudder would dismiss them when you had finished. We had had nothing but a pair of folding chocks. If the aircraft had jumped those the propeller would have chopped its way though the Devon's fuselage before I could have reacted.

It didn't so it was a nice afternoon.

The American who had bought the Vampires was disgusted with the CAA because they wouldn't let him fly his Vampires to the States.

Knucklehead
26th Sep 2013, 15:52
This thread brings back happy memories of flying the PP from Barkston Heath in '58. Thanks to the Sandys axe our instructors were mainly ex 2 TAF Venom pilots. Far from being depressed by their new role they were most enthusiastic and made our flying most interesting. Examples were LL battle formation below 250'msd and aerobatic 'avalanches'. Eventually the powers that be pointed out that flick manoeuvres were prohibited.

Our relief landing ground was the large grass airfield at Spitalgate. Often up to six solo students would be in the circuit. This led to a bemused local controller telephoning OC flying and suggesting that four students carrying out line abreast roller landings was not a good idea. Occasionally we would also rendezvous away from prying eyes and attempt to dog fight. Enough said.

The down side was IF. We wore blue goggles behind amber screens and flew in Stygian gloom. The vagaries of the air driven AH allied to yaw with power changes resulted in sheer torture. Fortunately my QFI 'Clem' Clements would book us out for GH and then sit patiently through my ham fisted attempts at IF. I owe him my continued flying career.

With 550 HP the PP had a similar performance to the Harvard but was easier to fly. When we started training, the Alvis Leonides radial's tendency to blow pots limited boost to zero. When cleared to plus 8, acceleration during a short field take off was most impressive and would leave a JP3 standing. On reflection this was not difficult!

There were a few 'gotchas' Over enthusiastic application of the brakes when stopping could pitch the aircraft onto its nose with a bent propeller and shock loaded engine. Failure to monitor oil temperature controlled by a manual shutter could incur the righteous wrath of our line 'chiefy'. The aircraft also did not have a constant speed prop. Fine pitch was used for take off and coarse pitch set for cruise. Tragically we lost a course member who overshot from a low off field practice force landing with coarse pitch still set and torque rolled into the ground.

Supervision then was a little lax. A good example was the QFI Who demonstrated tactical low flying to his student by flying down the main LMS railway line from Grantham to London. Very low in a cutting he failed to spot the wires ahead and above him and took them away with the fin. Unfortunately the wires controlled the railway's signalling system so traffic came to a halt for some hours. After his court martial the luckless QFI was sent to Cyprus where he flew Chipmunks on anti EOKA patrols.

The bus journeys from the 'buildings' to and from Barkston were a good indication of morale. On the way there the atmosphere was very light hearted. On our return we were more thoughtful as we contemplated the joys of drill and academics.

rlsbutler
28th Sep 2013, 17:09
This thread opened with a call for the instructor's handbook.

I hope RBA/BY already has the pilot's notes, because I well remember it was very severe about the risk of the inverted spin. There had to be a bogey to think about and that was it. It goes without saying a duel aircraft got into one in our last Provost term - they came up on the R/T (I think while still in the throes) yet came back chastened but alive.

Actually we ought to have been more worried by losing one of our number (solo, very soon after we were all going solo) when his prop flew off. This never became a teaching topic, so students like me scarcely gave it another thought. Sadly I can nearly remember his name, but it escapes me at the moment.

Our instructors were a generation later than aw ditor's, from the Hunters of Jever and Sylt. My first two terms were with a very boyish pilot - I was very surprised to learn only ten years later that he was old enough to retire as a Sqn Ldr. He was great fun, but I was lucky to be put with another instructor before the serious flying tests started. He enlarged his fun reputation very slightly in the early days of the Jet Provost, when my year was at Cranwell proper. There is a brief period during the JP take-off when the undercarriage doors are positioned vertically downwards. He used this period to foreshorten them considerably; noone else seems to have thought of doing that. Sadly, he bought it a prang in Canada, I think in the 1970s. Come to think of such things, my fellow student under this instructor later killed himself carelessly demonstrating a JP in up-country Malaysia.

If the fun was due to run out, we did not know at the time. Nor did our flight commanders. When all the Final Handling Tests had been done, a lucky selection of the course was briefed to fly entirely solo in a last launch of the available fleet. I was not one of them, possibly because I did not have the imagination properly to use such a dizzy gift. I can though imagine the instructors in their crewroom, and their sardonic sweepstake on how many aircraft would come back !

NutherA2
29th Sep 2013, 09:14
KH

The aircraft also did not have a constant speed prop. Fine pitch was used for take off and coarse pitch set for cruise.
My Provost Course was at Feltwell in 1954/55, when the aircraft we had were brand new. As I remember it the propeller was fitted with a CSU, but I had to dig out my Pilot’s Notes to ensure my elderly memory wasn’t giving trouble; on Page 7 I found:

INTRODUCTION
The Provost T 1 is an all-metal, low-wing monoplane