PDA

View Full Version : Forced Landing on Riverbank...

Captivep
12th Aug 2013, 08:55
LiveLeak.com - Engine failure and forced landing in a Cessna

Nicely done!

trident3A
12th Aug 2013, 09:18
That worked out pretty well, lucky to have a suitable area ahead.

Ryan5252
12th Aug 2013, 09:23
Excellent job! Shame the nose wheel didn't hold up just a little bit longer.

India Four Two
12th Aug 2013, 09:52
It looks like the nosewheel did hold up, but they just ran into some very soft sand. Unlucky.

Pilot.Lyons
12th Aug 2013, 14:28
Yes india four two, i think your right the nose wheel looks buried in soft sand.

Very lucky to have that bank tight where it was, i was thinking may be a video making set up but the end kind of made it real ;)

Well done to the pilot. Cool, calm and in control

magpienja
12th Aug 2013, 17:31
Suspicious IMHO

Steve6443
12th Aug 2013, 17:52
Suspicious IMHO

Pray tell why.... I thought the Emergency Landing was calmly and smoothly carried out.....

riverrock83
12th Aug 2013, 18:16
Looked highly suspicious. He didn't have to avoid any Kindergartens or puppy farms. We know that every crash involves the pilot miraculously avoiding those!

Well done that guy - excellent execution and the aircraft might even be used again (presuming they can get it out)!

magpienja
13th Aug 2013, 16:49
Gut feeling.

Pace
13th Aug 2013, 17:36
It's a fix : ) strange how the camera facing forward then faces sideways and then adjusts again to suit the picture they want!
I think in a real event moving the camera would be the last thing on their mind!
My guess? Staged on a strip they had landed on before!
The only thing that does not fit with the stage scenario is the nose dive which could have been a mistake in the staged scenario but come on??? Real ?no way

Pace

magpienja
13th Aug 2013, 17:38
Glad I'm not the only one then.

riverrock83
13th Aug 2013, 17:58
This is the original link, before someone stole it and put it on liveleak. Original comments below:
"Aviation Race Of Champions 2013 Engine Failure"

After spotting the finish line for the 2013 Race of Champions in Ulundi on 10/08/2013 we started recording this video. About twenty seconds later our engine died. We switched fuel tanks and she started up for about 2 seconds before dying again. We couldn't get her running so we decided to land on a river bank. As we slowed down the prop stopped wind-milling and later on the weight of the nose fell into the loose sand...

Pilot: Christiaan Richardson
Navigator: Christiaan Vosloo
Race no. 88

The cause is unknown but a vapour lock was suspected in the fuel lines.
The plane was inspected by engineers and flown out of the river bank by Chris Briers two hours later.

He was flying as part of Zululand Race of Champions | Race of Champions - www.airrace.co.za (http://airrace.co.za/)
Note their Press Release.

Looks 100% legit to me!

rMz2UqCeLnI

Fly-by-Wife
13th Aug 2013, 18:09
strange how the camera facing forward then faces sideways
Pace, it looks like the camera was fixed to the RH door. Door opens, camera swings through 90 degrees. Simples!

FBW