PDA

View Full Version : CAA Examiners (for RT written) in Tannkosh?

Hitbacker
11th Aug 2013, 09:10
Ladies and Gents,

during my foreign license conversion my RT examiner (and I) were not aware that the CAA requires not just the oral but also the written exam if you pass your RT in an ICAO country (in this case - the common case of the FAA..) which does not have an extra radio exam. Thus, I currently would need to fly to the UK for this measly exam sitting; which would always be a great trip, 'cept for me Misses is due with our no. 1 offspring. Thus, I am somewhat restricted in travelling for the time being.

Here's the question: Is any CAA examiner willing to make a MC exam at Tannkosh in two weeks? That's within reach for me and sure a fun destination... and with the fee will reimburse you some of your travelling expenditure. And I shall have some family peace to just make the complete legal UK PPL (coming from a full BGA GPL and an FAA CPL ME/ IR).

Thanks for any quick advice of someone who knows someone who comes to Tannkosh on either August 23rd, 24th or 25th.

Cheers,

Sven

AberdeenAngus
11th Aug 2013, 14:37
You can often do written exams For British institutions at your local British Council offices.

Hitbacker
11th Aug 2013, 18:17
Cheers mate,

what I found mostly was EASA 66 exams and ATPL sittings at the known, remote locations. I contacted the BC in Switzerland, let's see. Thanks for the help, though this looks like quite a long shot.

Does anybody know an examiner? Else, I contact them directly, but few of them left @-addresses online with the CAA...

S-Works
11th Aug 2013, 18:22
Drop me a PM.

India Four Two
12th Aug 2013, 06:06
You learn something new every day!

I thought my European geographical knowledge was pretty good, but I had never heard of Tannkosh. It sounded vaguely Baltic States to me.

However, I now know that it is the Euro version of Oshkosh, held at Tannheim:

Flugplatz und Flugschule Tannheim: Tannkosh (http://www.tannkosh.de/)

Hitbacker, Good luck with the exam and your new extended family. :)

Hitbacker
12th Aug 2013, 14:41
..especially for the family, ticking the boxes SHOULD be easier, well.. shake off the rust... cheers! And join in with some fellow aviators, I have not been there yet but the rep is quite good.

Whopity
13th Aug 2013, 06:01
my RT examiner (and I) were not aware that the CAA requires not just the oral but also the written exam if you pass your RT in an ICAO country Any RT Examiner should be aware that they cannot conduct the RT Practical test unless you have already passed the written exam! Either the UK National written exam or the JAA/EASA Subject 90 written.
CAA Standards Doc 2 NOTES FOR GUIDANCE OF AUTHORISED RTF EXAMINERS
4. WRITTEN EXAMINATIONS

The written examination paper(s) are to be completed before commencing the practical test.

Where did you take the practical test, and why did you not do the written paper the same time? The examiner's instructions are quite clear and the written results have to be entered on the test report form? The UK do not accept RT practical tests conducted by Examiners they have not appointed.

Hitbacker
18th Aug 2013, 22:08
You don't seriously expect me to publicize this oversight of page 398 of some obscure CAA document for foreign license conversion at a facility that does not administer that many of them, do you Whopity? That classy gentleman overlooked that hidden interpretation on foreign license conversion and so did I; had I passed a separate foreign RT exam he would have been right, but since the nation where powered flight was invented, where 70% of the global GA takes place has the pragmatic approach of checking RT and flight tests in one occasion we fell into this trap. (Just to provide you with some new insights - the Swiss do not require this either for foreign license conversion on ICAO licenses; this is clearly an interpretation without direct wording. So much for harmonization in EASA rules.. or JAR for that matter before those magic dates last year).

The examiner has been appointed for a long time - and the CAA has agreed for me to pass the exam separately since it would appear that I have the necessary skills to legally fly instruments commercially on N-registered a/c, and they do not intend to penalize me for an interpretation that is buried pretty deeply in their conundrum of rules. This is what I love about British common sense. They provided my with some deadline of validity of the oral exam, period. Why? Look up the FCL regs on foreign license conversion and what is quoted there. Looks like a comprehensive checklist, but alas, it isn't - by Gatwick's interpretation. AL, HPL, and a check flight with 100 hrs tt won't do...

Cheers!

Whopity
19th Aug 2013, 08:00
So much for harmonization in EASA rules.The FRTOL has nothing to do with EASA rules, it is issued in accordance with an International Telecommunications requirement which different States interpret in different ways!this oversight of page 398 of some obscure CAA document for foreign license conversion at a facility that does not administer that many of them

and they do not intend to penalize me for an interpretation that is buried pretty deeply in their conundrum of rules.
The Examiner's Guidance and Standardisation appears on page 1 of an 8 page document that has not changed since 1974!The examiner has been appointed for a long timeThen it would not be unreasonable for him to know what he is doing and know his guidance document backwards.