PDA

View Full Version : New PPL IMC

Snakedoc
10th Aug 2013, 20:36
Hi Guys

I just passed my PPL skills test around 5 weeks ago. I have wanted to do the IMC for a while now but wanted to gain some experience flying on my own first, however with this april deadline, my finances would mean that i would be best starting now and pacing my way through it (I prefer not to rush through it all).

I thought that I read a while back that you had to have a minimum of 20 hours PIC after gaining your licence before you could start an IMC rating, is this the case? A few people have told me that this isnt the case but im not too sure. Maybe i misinterpreted!

Any feedback would be great! :ok:

85mel
10th Aug 2013, 20:56
you have to have 10 before you can sit the check ride, I believe. and 15 under instruction

Cobalt
10th Aug 2013, 21:05
Look at CAP 804.

The requirement is 25 hours of time after gaining your PPL, including the IMC training, so if you do it in minimum hours 10 will be enough to start the training.

You also need 10 hours PIC and 5 hours cross-country PIC, but you normally have that from your PPL training.

As long as you don't bank on doing it in minimum hours, go for it!

[edit - that is the same MEL says, 10 + the course of 15 --> 25 before you can do the test. Technically you can start the training immediately and do the 10 extra hours afterwards, or if you take 25 hours to get ready for the test, that is it...]

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Aug 2013, 21:22
if you take 25 hours to get ready for the test
Which is entirely possible, some take longer :)

Snakedoc
11th Aug 2013, 10:57
Thanks everyone! That clears it up, planning to start it towards the end of september. Can anyone recommend any books?

thing
11th Aug 2013, 12:42
You'll only need one. I used the air pilots manual radio navigation and instrument flying but I'm sure any of the big names would be equally as good. Good luck with the NDB approaches...:ok:

Sillert,V.I.
11th Aug 2013, 15:28
you have to have 10 before you can sit the check ride, I believe. and 15 under instruction

You need 15 hrs instruction for the rating, but the check ride counts towards the 15 hours.

IIRC I did the check ride after about 12 1/2 hrs & needed an extra hour's lesson after passing the skills test before I could apply for the rating.

This was back in the 1980's so it could be different now.

85mel
11th Aug 2013, 16:21
It has to be 10 hours PIC though, which it isn't if you have an instructor next to you.

And the 25 have to be done BEFORE you do the check ride now

Sillert,V.I.
11th Aug 2013, 16:58
It has to be 10 hours PIC though, which it isn't if you have an instructor next to you.

And the 25 have to be done BEFORE you do the check ride now

Time changes things.

I still remember flying the ILS into Luton for the checkride - nav + landing was about £10 :).