PDA

View Full Version : Red Arrows PR

neilmac
9th Aug 2013, 20:04
I don't know maybe I am being harsh but my little cousin with club foot( it has medical terms but) in Ayrshire mad on Red Arrows wanted to see them for the first time,, he has to wear an ankle brace between feet many hours of the day. I said well lets get it sorted Blackpool for him and me seemed halfway point. I wrote a letter on 19th June to RAFAT Team Manager...no reply at all. I tried ringing this week, no answerphone it just rings out. I have done my 20+ years in RAF just thought RAFAT was about PR....feeling very let down by them because the grin on my little cousins face you wouldn't be able to put a price on it. Gutted
NM

291paspine
9th Aug 2013, 21:22
NM,

Believe it or not RAFAT is an extremely busy part of our already over stretched organisation, and receives a large amount of mail from many people requesting access to the team. You have also chosen to try and make contact during the middle of the 2013 season where the team is often on the road (if you phoned today then they were probably airborne)

The team do a huge amount of PR both in and out of season, aswell as supporting a number of charities, so as sad as your story is I don't feel that you can criticise the members of the team (both aircrew and support staff) for not responding to one persons individual request.

May I suggest that if you want to see the team you try and attend a show where they have a ground presence? Failing that maybe wait until a quieter part of the year.

BUCCANEER SCAMP
9th Aug 2013, 21:42
NM,

The Blues are due to be on the ground at Blackpool not sure about the Reds. If you're on twitter you can get hold of either Red 4,8 or 10 and the PRO manager is also on there.
BS.

NutLoose
9th Aug 2013, 21:49
Err as he has asked on PPrune one can assume he is on it ;)

neilmac
10th Aug 2013, 04:31
291, Yep aware they are busy people thats why I asked almost 2 months ago thought that would be enough for any reply. This was really the only opportunity he was to have to see the Reds couldnt make EGQL.

BS, Cheers top idea Blues bound to be around on the Promenade

NM

Pure Pursuit
10th Aug 2013, 04:36
Neilmac,

Check your PMs

dallas
10th Aug 2013, 06:59
I've got to agree with the OP. Making an effort to respond to everyone - even a 'Father Christmas'-style broadbrush letter saying 'can't make any specific promises but hope to see you at the show' should be core business for RAFAT. There is a wide gulf between the reaction to receiving a cherished letter - maybe with a signed pic - vs apparently not bothering to reply. I hope neilmac can tell us of a happy ending to this at some point.

NutLoose
10th Aug 2013, 10:47
Totally with you on that Dallas, after all that is their primary reason for existing, to promote the RAF to the public, one hopes a satifactory outcome occurs and the young lad gets to see his heroes.

SRENNAPS
11th Aug 2013, 18:17
Following a chat with a great lad from the Red Arrows Team at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta yesterday; his name was Fletch, I would suggest you might want to try the Red Arrows Facebook page and send a message to Red10. Not sure, but it might help.

And yes to the shock and horror of many members of PPRuNE the Red Arrows has a Facebook page :E:E

dallas
11th Aug 2013, 18:39
I'm more surprised that they've got Red 10 as a Sqn Ldr, the team manager as a Sqn Ldr and a Wg Cdr too! Maybe they need more Indians responding to the post bag :)

neilmac
11th Aug 2013, 18:47
My wee cousin got to see them today and was soo chuffed, his little red flying suit remained intact despite 2 bouts of travel sickness on the way from Ayr this morning been a long day for him.

NM

SRENNAPS
11th Aug 2013, 18:56
neilmac,

That was lovely to read :D:ok::O:ok::D

NutLoose
11th Aug 2013, 21:29
:D:D:D

Nice one :)

BUCCANEER SCAMP
13th Aug 2013, 15:22
I'm glad he got to see them. :ok: BS

smujsmith
13th Aug 2013, 21:33
Result,

Exactly what this forum should be about. Well done Reds, the future are still kids attending your displays. Long may it continue :ok:

Smudge

neilmac
13th Aug 2013, 22:43
Yep but still that what lets say 5 PR people didn't reply to a letter?
Love them and my wee cousins do now.

Thanks gents for the support and advice

NM

WH904
30th Aug 2013, 08:47
My experience of RAFAT is that they do an outstanding job, despite a huge PR workload. It may well be that the request simply got lost. I've spent time with the team in the past and they always do their very best to try and keep everyone happy whenever possible.

The "can do" attitude of RAFAT contrasts with the approach now taken by the RAF's wider PR machine. Sadly, they are now only interested in commercial enterprises and television. Banality is the new black ;)

Davef68
30th Aug 2013, 08:55
Neilmac, if your cousin can get to Prestwick, he can see the RAFAT this weekend:

SATURDAY 30th August

1146 - Depart BOURNEMOUTH AIRPORT
1153 - Flypast FOLKFEST

1200 - Display BOURNEMOUTH

1226 - Arrive BOURNEMOUTH AIRPORT

1440 - Depart BOURNEMOUTH AIRPORT

1446 - Flypast MIDDLE WALLOP

1446 - Flypast ABBOTTS ANN

1536 - Arrive PRESTWICK

1745 - Depart PRESTWICK

1800 - Display PORTRUSH

1837 - Arrive PRESTWICK

Sunday 1 September

1010 - Depart PRESTWICK

1033 - Arrive BLACKPOOL

1258 - Depart BLACKPOOL

1315 - Display CHATSWORTH

1348 - Arrive BLACKPOOL

1614 - Depart BLACKPOOL

1630 - Display RHYL

1657 - Arrive BLACKPOOL

1910 - Depart BLACKPOOL

1933 - Arrive RAF SCAMPTON

Belle and Sebastian
30th Aug 2013, 09:04
NM,

I was born with a club foot. It's called talipes - I have a very large scar over my achiles tendon. Sorrry, can't add anything else to your Reds PR query!

neilmac
30th Aug 2013, 13:50
Yep cheers I spotted that they were at PWK so he will go and have another look at the Reds! :ok: