PDA

View Full Version : 45 hours logged, but PPL still elusive!

CitySlicker
3rd May 2002, 11:52
Everyone seems to be in a really helpful mood today – so here’s one for you!

I have 45 hours logged made up of :-

10 hours Grob 109 (inc 2 solo circuits) – 1993
35 hours C152 (inc 6 hours solo) – 1996

I paid close to £3500 for my PPL, but various things got in the way; work, relationship at the time and the fact I’d paid for DRY time only ….consequently, when things got tight I couldn’t afford to pay for the fuel / landing fees etc for the cross countries. I was so near it really annoys me – but I didn’t make it to PPL stage.

I am in a more stable position now, with a bit more money (not much more – wives are pricey commodities!!!!). Finance aside (I’m looking at HSBC, CDL, re-mortgage etc) what is my best bet for getting the PPL under my belt. Some schools have said use the hours purely as credit towards commercial training; others have said that I could pick up from where I left off for a fraction of the cost.

I appreciate that I couldn’t just jump back in that easily – but it would be useful to hear your opinions or personal accounts to guide me. I want the PPL ASAP so I can start hour building, ATPL exams etc etc

Thanks in advance, CitySlicker

The Boy Lard
3rd May 2002, 12:57
CS,

I guess there are lots of different avenues for you to explore with regards taking things further from PPL.

The most important thing IMO is getting your PPL under your belt, because if you intend to take it further then you need it!

Have you taken "Official" advice as to where you stand with your accumulated hours? By official I mean CAA. I would write to FCL explaining your situation and plans and see what they have to say, especially as some/most of your hours are pre JAA.

Once you know what you need to do to complete the PPL search in Wannabes archive to see whats available to you in terms of Modular training for ATPL, Integrated, Distance Learning etc to suit your personal circumstances.

Good luck

TBL

CitySlicker
3rd May 2002, 13:05
Thanks BL!

You're right, I guess I need to hear it from the horses mouth rather than individual schools. It's very frustrating because I know how to achieve the rest and where I'll do it.it's just this tatty bit at the start I need to tidy up!!

Thanks again - does your name refer to the food you eat or your size - just curious!!:D

The Boy Lard
3rd May 2002, 13:10
CS,

Youre not the first to ask, it comes from two sources, one I'm listening to on Radio 1 as I type (Mark and Lard) and it WAS my size before I shed half my body weight to get my Class 1!

Thanks for asking and good luck

TBL

Luke SkyToddler
5th May 2002, 11:12
The hours you've got are valid forever - the CAA can't take those away from you. You'll certainly find yourself re sitting all the ground school exams for the PPL, as you lose your credits after a couple of years if you haven't applied for the licence. You'll be surprised how quickly it comes back to you, I'd say rip in there and get yourself solo in the circuit again to get the confidence level back up, do a couple of revision flights on forced landings etc and then try and move into the cross country flying fairly quickly.

Unless you've already got your 150 NM qualifying XC certificate you'll need to do it before the PPL issue, and your instructor will no doubt wish to spend a few hours in the aircraft with you before he/she goes and sends you off on a big cross country on your own. Once you've got that XC flying wrapped up, and re sat the theory exams, then you can get into the serious business of revising and practicing for the flight test.

Any school that reckons you should 'just use the hours that you've got as credit for CPL' is talking out a big hole in their bottom, because you can't sit a CPL flight test - or even enrol in a CPL ground school theory course for that matter - without already having had a PPL issued.

BEagle
5th May 2002, 12:03
The hours which you have logged already will indeed remain valid towards your PPL - if you've kept your logbook as proof, of course.

You will need to re-sit the PPL ground exams and to fly sufficient hours to meet JAR/FCL requirements before you can take the PPL Skill Test. But you'll get 100 hours theory credit towards mandatory CPL groundschool time if you pass your exams successfully.

For the JAR/FCL PPL, basically you need:

1. To pass all the exams
2. To hold a JAR Class 2 medical certificate
3. 45 hours as pilot of aeroplanes, including 25 hours dual training plus 10 hours supervised solo time, of which not less than 5 must be cross-country including a flight of 270km in accordance with JAR-FCL 1.125(b).
4. To pass the PPL Skill Test (which is included in the 45 hrs total time requirement).

Best of luck!

ariel
5th May 2002, 17:31
Been reading this thread with interest.

Beagle, could you explain what you mean by:

"But you'll get 100 hours theory credit towards mandatory CPL groundschool time if you pass your exams successfully"

The reason I ask is because, (due to having an extended break, and changing schools a few times), it took me more hours than most, (or 45 min), to get the PPL, and I'd now like to take the CPL groundschool examinations, with view to then getting an FI qualification so I can instruct.

Can I use the hours in excess of the 45 minimum towards the CPL, or have I got to start from scratch?

Sorry to ask such a stupid question, but it appears to be a minefield out there, with regards to getting information on what is required to progress to instructor level, so would greatly appreciate any advice you have.

nb - sorry if anybody thinks I've nicked the thread!

ariel

BEagle
5th May 2002, 19:52
It depends somewhat upon whether you are planning on doing an Integrated or a Modular course. If you are doing an Integrated CPL(A) course, you have to complete a minimum of 150 hours of flying training and 300 hours (reduced to 200 hours for PPL(A) holders) of theoretical knowledge instruction. A Modular course is designed to train PPL(A) holders who wish to stagger their training to the level necessary for the issue of a CPL(A), but they must have at least 150 hours of flight time as pilot before starting an Approved Modular course. The course consists of 25 hours of flying training (including 5 hours in a complex aeroplane and the CPL Skill Test) and 200 hours of theoretical knowledge instruction; you may attempt the examinations before achieving the 150 hours of flight time but you will subsequently need to have achieved a total of 200 hours of flight time (including various specific requirements) before a CPL(A) may be issued. However, if you took ‘more hours than most’ to get your PPL(A) fear not - all P1C and P U/T time may be counted in full towards the 200 hours of flight experience. You may also be credited with 30 hours of P1C time in touring motor gliders or gliders.

There is an excellent new CAA publication called LASORS 2002. This consists of 644 A5 pages and answers all the questions you could possibly have about Licensing, Administration and Standards, Operating Requirements and Safety. And it only costs a fiver from the CAA’s Personnel Licensing Department. It’s worth every penny!

ariel
5th May 2002, 20:02
Beagle, thanks very much for that information - much appreciated

Cheers - ariel