PDA

View Full Version : Denethorpe twinprop ops today

Pegpilot
8th Aug 2013, 21:54
A quick one to ask whether anyone connected with the twinprop that was circuit bashing out of Denethorpe, Northants, today can pass a message on. If you're on R/Way 21 could you fly R/H circuits if you're going to be doing this regularly, and if you're on 03 then please fly L/H circuits.

Your circuits today were right through the downwind leg of an adjacent gliding field and in direct conflict with your neighbours. As duty instructor I was forced to switch to south side circuits to protect not just us but you too.

I would have pursued this privately through alternative means but we did not get the reg nbr.

Cheers all

Peg

Talkdownman
9th Aug 2013, 06:07
Pooley's shows Deenethorpe circuits to be to the east.

S-Works
9th Aug 2013, 07:36
Peg, you are going to have to explain how that circuit pattern interferes with Lyvdon which is 3.5m SE of Deenethorpe and whose circuits are flown to the East as well and are tiny due to them being gliders!

A right hand circuit on 21 takes you over the top of Deenethorpe which does not ingratiate you with your neighbours. Circuits have always been towards the Benefield side over the top of the caravan storage site for this reason.

Pegpilot
9th Aug 2013, 08:58
Happy to oblige, Bose. Specifically, the twin was taking off on 21 followed by a very wide and shallow left hand climbing turn onto downwind for the next landing. It was the climbing turn that was was taking it through our circuit at a height I estimate to be about 1000 agl.

S-Works
9th Aug 2013, 10:15
That has no conflict with the Lyvden circuit. Lyvden fly circuits to the east when they are operational. As I said and as in the various flight guides, circuits have always been flown to the east at Deenethorpe in order that you don't overfly Deenethorpe Village.

Methinks there is another motive at play here?

Pegpilot
9th Aug 2013, 12:24
Absolutely no ulterior motive whatsoever. We have happily co-existed with Denethorpe for 23 years and I see no reason why we should not do so for another 23. But as duty dog yesterday I would be failing in my duty if I did not at least try to get the message across to the operators of that SPECIFIC aircraft engaged on a repetitive exercise. To be absolutely precise, the climb out and left turn was over Harrys Park Wood, thence to the south of and following the alignment of Benefield Road back towards the east for the next approach. If that doesn't seem to you to be uncomfortably close - given that we were flying RH circuits on to our 26 given the southerly crosswind component - then fair enough. But don't forget that we were operating not just gliders but also a tug, which was operating on a wider circuit....

Be assured that I have no interest in re-kindling the hoary old gliding V power squabble. Indeed Bose, do drop in sometime and visit us as long as you let us know in advance. The kettle's always on and Lisa does a mean bacon roll.

S-Works
9th Aug 2013, 12:49
Pegpilot, very kind of you. As a former member of your club I am well aware of the great bacon butties...... I also live 200yrds from the 21 threshold which is why I am very aware of the goings on here.

Playing devils advocate, perhaps the twin guy was doing single engine circuits and had reduced performance which is what your description sounds like.

Personally I don't think there was any real conflict. The wood is pretty much the half way point between you and Deenethorpe which means if you were in conflict your guys were flying some pretty big circuits as well!! At the end of the day its Class G, neither strip has an ATZ and see and avoid applies.

http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn151/skyhawkxp/Deenelyvden.jpg (http://s303.photobucket.com/user/skyhawkxp/media/Deenelyvden.jpg.html)

abgd
10th Aug 2013, 04:31
As it seems Deenethorpe is an uncontrolled airfield, would I be right in thinking that individual pilots have no discretion to vary the direction of their circuits? As I recall only an ATController has the discretion to grant a different circuit direction; FISO and air-ground operators cannot, and a pilot can't simply choose to fly a different circuit from everybody else.

Of course, the pilot could fly a tighter circuit, but have you tried talking to Deenethorpe who are likely to know who the pilot is, before airing it all on a public forum.