PDA

View Full Version : Durham Tees Valley

RedsBluesGreens
7th Aug 2013, 22:51
I am aware of previous threads on this topic, but they seem to be a few years out of date.

I plan to visit Durham next week, so I was thinking of flying into Tees Valley. Has anyone flown in there in a SEP (AC11) recently who can give me some idea of the fees?

What is the best way to go about the mandatory handling? Presumably the Passenger Facility Fee will apply?

I naively thought I could catch a train from the airport to Durham; a quick search on the internet put an end to that! Thankfully I will be able to get a lift.

Any thoughts are welcome.

RedPortLeft
8th Aug 2013, 07:06
Handling is by Weston Aviation
Weston FBO Handling (http://www.weston-fbo-handling.com/durham-tees-valley-airport)
The website is silent on current fees.

I don't think the passenger facility fee applies, and you don't go near the terminal. Weston drives out to pick you up from the aircraft.

However, last time (the only time) I visited the security nonsense was rampant with scanners and the full works :rolleyes:

Mariner9
8th Aug 2013, 07:07
I was asked to fly a friend up to DTV recently, and was quoted £30 for landing/ handling which wasnt too bad for an International airfield with an IAP etc. However, we ended up going to Fishburn instead, which is much closer to Durham and a lot cheaper too.

visualwith737
8th Aug 2013, 07:49
I'd recommend Fishburn over DTV, also look at Shotton / Peterlee I've flown into there many a time its primarily a sky dive centre but accepts GA with prior permission I flew a PA28 in and out with no problems on two excellent RW's one Tarmac, see here ... Peterlee Airfield (http://ukga.com/airfield/peterlee) ... Enjoy Durham its a wonderful place!

RedsBluesGreens
8th Aug 2013, 18:29
Thanks for your thoughts.

The lady from Weston has got back to me with these figures:

Landing - £26.25
Handling - £25.00
Parking - £7.50 per 24 hours (1st 2 hrs free)

None of which I quite understand as the landing fees are currently £8.75 per 0.5t, and we have a MTOW of 1.4t - I have queried it with her.

So a little bit more than was previously thought. I have heard about being allowed to do self handling - has anyone done this?

I did look at Fishburn and Peterlee, but we need about 800m tarmac, and I may not be returning until the evening.

Grateful to hear what anyone else has to think.

wet wet wet
8th Aug 2013, 20:24
1.4T rounds up to 1.5T = 3 x £8.75 = £26.25. If you want a long hard runway, IAPs, lights, ATC, fire cover etc then I'm afraid you have to pay for it.

Sir George Cayley
8th Aug 2013, 20:42
I smile at these "HOW MUCH!" threads. Fifty to one hundred quid to use the facilities and be looked after and only once in a blue moon. C'mon:ugh:

At the aerodrome I once ran we got fed up of trying to extract £10 from singles and £20 quid from twins so we left a box at self briefing for 'Donations' and guess what? Yup, we made more money and no hassle.

The only bad apples were pilots who knew about our reciprocal arrangement so always seemed to arrive from there.:mad:

An AC11 - what's that like? Permit type?;)

SGC

RedsBluesGreens
9th Aug 2013, 10:17
This is less of a 'How much' thread and more of a 'how can we do it cheaper' thread. Perhaps I am in the wrong game, but I'm always looking to save money where I can. I am well used to paying £24 every time I land at home, but at least we have a station that has more than two trains per week.

I forgot that asking questions on here wasn't allowed...

F4TCT
9th Aug 2013, 11:57
What I don't get it that the airport is on the bones of its arse financially, yet they still choose to charge high landing fees/ and more importantly ridiculous handling. Surely scrap the charge, More folk use the field, uplift fuel etc.... Less is more...

It's. damn site better than fishburn, that's for sure.

It's not as if the parking area is even more than 30 seconds walk from the security gate anyway..

Dan

Flyingmac
9th Aug 2013, 20:21
We made a visit to DTV today. Organised by a based FRA pilot. Six aircraft with fourteen POB.

Had a tour of the Cobham operation, including a Falcon 20. Tours of the copper chopper, Sycamore Aviation's dismantling of a 767 and A320 and ATC (tower and radar). Tea and doughnuts in the crewroom and a warm welcome from everyone.

No handling required and landing fee reduced to £5. (Plus a small donation to the Air Ambulance). Rounded off with a Spitfire fly-by.

Our thanks to all concerned.

NorthSouth
10th Aug 2013, 09:27
I'm guessing that involved staying airside and therefore avoiding all the hassles of security, which is the main killer of regional airports being more GA-friendly. Strange, though, how you can fly in to these airports from Anywhere You Like With No Security, wander about airside, in ATC, on and off other aeroplanes etc, then fly back out again without being subjected to any security search.
NS

RedsBluesGreens
12th Aug 2013, 15:53
Ok so it looks like we will be flying into Durham Tees Valley tomorrow morning.

Any tips for flying in/out? We will be arriving from and departing to the South.

adambsmith
12th Aug 2013, 18:03
Flew in yesterday via Northallerton VRP - my first fly away from my PPL training to another aerodrome.

Even as a novice for me everything went straightforward.

£12 for handling by Weston Aviation - not sure what the landing fee is as I understand it's billed to my club (Sherburn) and I pay them.

Picked up by minibus, taken to lounge, pay up, coffee, chat, taken back to the aircraft by minibus. Flew back to Sherburn over North Yorks Moors and York which was great.

Sir Niall Dementia
13th Aug 2013, 07:52
I visit DTV for work at least a dozen times a year between the end of September and end of January (medium sized twin rotary, or large biz jet) I go fairly often between times in my own aircraft. Always a warm welcome. ATC are superb and the ladies at Weston Handling couldn't be more helpful and are well worth their handling fee. Local taxi is mighty useful and always reliable (Willy the driver)

Weston sort all my hotel bookings and always get a better rate than I can direct and that saves most of my handling fee (on the helo anyway)

If I'm working I normally have a day off locally between flights and there is a lot to see and do.

Earlier in the thread someone mentioned self-handling, don't bother, DTV security are VERY keen when you try to get back to your aircraft (all facilities are in the main terminal) Last time I tried self handling at DTV it was a Saturday night in October, we were due to be the last aircraft to leave and we had the full shoes off nausea and bag search when trying to get 4 crew, in uniform back to the aeroplane parked just outside (empty leg, no pax and a tight slot into Paris). There used to be an utter numpty who posted on R&N about how much he enjoyed screwing crews around, turned out he was a DTV "Security Operative" his modus operandi seems to have been absorbed by others there.

One of my favourite regional airports and a great place to go.

SND

RedsBluesGreens
15th Aug 2013, 18:38
We went up on Tuesday morning, expecting to come back that evening at about 7pm, only to have the bombshell dropped that if we wanted to return after 7pm it would cost us £80! It's £7.50 to park for 24 hours so it was a no-brainer. We stayed the night with family and came back the next day. They also promised me several times that the bowser would be ready to fuel on my arrival, however that never happened. I do understand that only a few bowsers split between several a/c isn't always possible though. The airport is completely dead though, only saw two other aircraft operating across the two days.

DTV controllers all very helpful, as were the military ones all the way up the east coast. Return flight was 1:25 and the weather was good so all in all a great couple of days!