PDA

View Full Version : Lunch & AvGas between Edinburgh and N.London - Recommendations

rmdr2
7th Aug 2013, 17:41
Chaps

I'm planning on flying down from Scotland to N. London next month. Will need to pick up some AvGas on the way, as well as a spot of lunch and coffee.

Likely to remain coastal for most of it (for the views).

Recommendations for fuel/Lunch/Friendly reception/route would be greatfully received...

rmdr2

140KIAS
8th Aug 2013, 08:43
Its been a while since I visited either but Wickenby or Sturgate are worth a look. Although not sure what food options are at Sturgate

A and C
8th Aug 2013, 09:08
For a Tech stop I have usually used Sandtoft, the fuel is always well priced and they did at one time offer free tea and a slice of cake & no landing fee if you uplifted more than 100 lts

Things have moved on with new owners taking over so things might have changed a bit but I'm sure it will still be a good option.

ShyTorque
8th Aug 2013, 11:06
Netherthorpe and Gamston are inland but about halfway down. Both have excellent restaurants and obviously plenty of AVGAS at both places.

Nethers is a bit short on runway though.... and the restaurant is closed on Mondays.

gasax
8th Aug 2013, 11:20
The killer issue is lunch.

I usually stop at Fenland - where the food is usually reasonable, but it is a little close to London for your purposes perhaps?

NorthSouth
8th Aug 2013, 13:00
Ditto Eddsfield. My advice: spend the night there and you can sample the delights of the truly brilliant Thai restaurant in Bridlington.
NS

thing
8th Aug 2013, 22:00
Sturgate is only open weekends and is just chock bars etc, no restaurant as such. Fenland has a nice caff but check when it's open, personally I would stop at Sherburn, proper caff/restaurant, home made steak pie chips and veg is under a fiver. Gamston a bit pricey but food very good.

Depends how coastal you want your coastal trip!

EastMids
8th Aug 2013, 23:00
Gamston restaurant closed Mon and Tue IIRC

studentpilot101
9th Aug 2013, 08:06
Have you considered City Airport Manchester?

Nice airfield lodge there.

Oldpilot55
9th Aug 2013, 08:43
Sleap. Excellent cafe and cheap (ish) Avgas

flybymike
9th Aug 2013, 11:35
We are straying rather far inland from the coast here.

On Track
9th Aug 2013, 21:35
Why would you need to stop between Edinburgh and London?

What type are you flying?

JDA2012
9th Aug 2013, 22:11
We are straying rather far inland from the coast hereDepends which coast! Since we're nearly on the other one, Caernarfon has a nice cafe http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gif

Ringway Flyer
10th Aug 2013, 08:37
Shobdon has an excellent cafe...(EGBS). We've been a regular visitor over the years and the standard is consistently good.

adambsmith
10th Aug 2013, 09:02
My club - Sherburn in Elmet

Yorkshire's Premier Flying Club (http://www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk/) <-- click for website

Not far from Humber Estuary. Good cafe, great people.

Just about equidistant between London/Edinburgh as the crow flies.

sapperkenno
10th Aug 2013, 15:29
If it's a Saturday or Sunday, we have a great little cafe, and Avgas is £1.87/ltr (including VAT) at Breighton.

A and C
11th Aug 2013, 09:19
The line between Edinburgh and London seems to be a little elastic !

I for one favour the east coast as it is largely free of class A airspace and enables transit in the 6-8000 ft altitude range that is more efficient for the normaly aspirated piston engine.

Perhaps someone local to Sandtoft could update us on the status of the Cafe under the new ownership.

thing
11th Aug 2013, 10:16
If you're sticking to the east coast then Sandtoft isn't really in the equation!

You could always drop in at Skegness, there are about 20 million chip shops/greasy spoons within ten minutes walk.

Edit: almost forgot Boston which is on the coast, there's a restaurant at the end of the airfield. Also there's East Kirkby just inland from Skegness which is the aviation museum where they keep 'Just Jane' the taxiing Lanc, well worth a visit which has a good caff, don't think they do fuel though but worth asking. (They must have some to run the Lanc)

rogerg
11th Aug 2013, 14:10
Sywell has the lot plus some art-deco

Sillert,V.I.
11th Aug 2013, 14:20
Sywell has the lot plus some art-deco

It's a good place to stop but I'd hardly describe it as halfway!