PDA

View Full Version : pa28 drinks problem!

long final
3rd May 2002, 10:03
Has anyone come up with any novel ways of cup holding in a pa28? ( or any single )

Regards
LF
:)

FlyingForFun
3rd May 2002, 10:15
Take with a bottle of water - one of those ones with a thingy on the top to stop the water spilling everywhere. Bottle can be re-filled with other cold drinks once you've drunk the water, if required.

Tried to find out what the thingy is called. Suggestions from colleauges include nozzle, teat and nipple, but there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer. But I'm sure you know what I mean!

FFF
-----------

long final
3rd May 2002, 10:23
Was kinda hoping for a hot drink holding devise, something that would keep coffee hot, but not risk burning.
Ta
LF

Chocks Wahay
3rd May 2002, 12:11
"something that would keep coffee hot, but not risk burning"

www.thermos.com (http://www.thermos.com)

A and C
3rd May 2002, 12:48
Boeing sell a stainless steel cup with a top on it that fits the cup holders on all Boeing aircraft , I can recomend this product.

The Boeing shop has a website but I dont know the url.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd May 2002, 14:13
If you go to a marina shop (always interesting places) they'll sell you a wide-bottomed (so very stable) thermally insulated, spillproof coffee-mug-thingy. Since I've never seen an aeroplane change it's vertical axis with quite the randomness of my uncle's yacht, I imagine it should do the job.

G

long final
3rd May 2002, 14:20
Thanks Genghis, sounds good. Tried the thermos site and found a neat little flask with slot, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the uk - better try a camping shop.

Got to try the boing site yet ...;)

Regards
LF

Tango Oscar
3rd May 2002, 15:32
What about taking those cans of Nescafe that heat up when you open them. They only have a small opening, so spillages should not be too much of a problem, and apparently they do have a remote likeness to coffee.

singaporegirl
3rd May 2002, 16:02
Next up: has anyone tested out those contraptions that come to your aid if you get caught short while en-route (from drinking too much coffee)? ;)

FlyingForFun
3rd May 2002, 16:13
No - but I have had to make a "toilet stop". Flying from Phoenix to Las Vegas - total flight time was about 3 hours. About an hour into the flight I realised I needed to go. About an hour later I realised I wasn't going to make it all the way to Las Vegas.

I was only about 20 miles from a tiny airport (called Needles, I think) on the eastern edge of California, so decided to stop there. There was no tumbleweed blowing across the runway, but it wouldn't have surprised me if there had been. A very friendly gentleman emerged from a hut somewhere to ask if he could help. I asked him to point me towards the toilet (sorry, bathroom), and a telephone (so that I could update my flight plan, since I would be late arriving at Las Vegas.) "No fuel?" No, I don't need fuel - just a bathroom and a telephone. He became much less friendly, pointed towards a different hut, grunted, and went back to wherever it was he came from!

FFF
-----------

BEagle
3rd May 2002, 17:53
At a safe height, suggest to your lady passenger that she releases her diagonal strap. Then invite her to lean towards you slightly, set the throttle friction and put your right arm around her right shoulder. Then move your right arm down slightly - and gently hold the appropriate cup.......... 34B is recommended!

AerBabe
5th May 2002, 16:43
FlyingForFun, I believe the nozzle/teat/nipple thing to which you are referring is commonly called a sport's cap... or sports cap :D

If you're flying for a long time, and want to be able to keep drinking while having your hands free, then a Camelbak (http://www.camelbak.com/rec/products.cfm) is ideal. They have a plastic bladder which you fill with your preferred tipple, and then a long tube ending in a valve. The whole thing comes enclosed in a rucksack-style bag (which you can sling over the back of your seat), with small pockets for a mars bar or GPS.
If you want to do this the cheap way, get hold of a Platypus (http://www.cascadedesigns.com/platypus/accessories.asp), drinking tube, and valve, and shove it into an old rucksack. If you fill it with minced duck, it would be a duck-filled-platypus :o
I'm not sure about the Camelbak, but a Platypus you can put hot liquids into. It's not insulated though, so you'd have to improvise with that a bit.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on! :D

long final
5th May 2002, 17:29
:D :) :D

Just bounced back from Wellesbourne, the traditional cup holder would have met it's match today!

LF

bertiethebadger
7th May 2002, 12:34
I use Ms. Badger as my tea holder :D

IFollowRoads
9th May 2002, 01:23
I can verify that the Nescafe tins are safe to FL100, and have yet to spill one (although its probably a good idea to put it somewhere where if it *does* go, won't have you leaping around in pain/agony)

Haven't found a way around the 'hydraulic overpressure' problem yet though ;)

sennadog
9th May 2002, 14:11
What about one of those thingies that babies use? It's plastic and obviously round but it has a lid on it with a rectangularish column that ends in a narrow rectangular lip with either holes or a gap around 1mm. The babies that I've seen chuck these things around a lot and not much seems to spill out.

GonvilleBromhead
9th May 2002, 14:40
A Tommy Tippee mug, that's the answer (think that's what Sennadog had in mind).

Practicality 100%, Street (air) cred, hmmmm.....

Crossedcontrols
10th May 2002, 10:14
Have you tried pressing the button on the armrest. I did this once and a charming young lady with a trolly came and offered tea or coffee, later she came back and took the old cup away. Can't remember is it was a PA28 or not.
If it was a PA28, might be a bit distracting if she's wrestling with you for your headset when on Final(s).

PingPong
12th May 2002, 09:25
I have used a 'Wonder Gyro' for many years. This rather bulky, but effective device attaches to the yoke and is thus conveniently situated. However, probably because it sits just above one's lap, please head the FAA placard: "Initial activation of gyro in a turn is forbidden".