PDA

View Full Version : Southampton - Landing fees

matspart3
3rd May 2002, 08:55
Thanks to the boys and girls at Southampton yesterday who were courteous, professional and accomodating....but I thought £43 for landing and parking a PA28 was a bit steep!!!

skua
3rd May 2002, 09:43
That's becasue it's owned by Ban All Aircraft (except quite big ones) !

Who has control?
3rd May 2002, 11:07
£43!!!

How long were you parked there?

Ace Rimmer
3rd May 2002, 12:32
Yeah they invited me down to cover the start of some new service or other the other week. Great thinks I excuse to fly. So I say to them just out of interest how much are landing fees? (fully expecting them to say nah don't worry about it Ace old fruity - being as your coming down to do story on us.) But no quoted some mega landing fee and then parking on top. Hate to think how much it costs for folks learning to fly there.

niknak
3rd May 2002, 12:43
The simple fact is, Southampton doesn't need light aviation.
Very limited parking space, no room to expand, but the BAA (who own the airport), only see the operation through accountants eyes. They've done a good job expanding the scheduled services and other commercial traffic which uses the place, but this leaves little or no room for G/A.

Rumour has it that the land and premises used by existing flying training organisations will be utilised solely for commercial operations and airport expansion, when/if said flying training establishments cease trading there.

The BAA argue that there are plenty of airfields in the vicinity which service G/A, which there are, but it's very inconvenient if you the purpose of your flight is business in Southampton and you
are forced to go elsewhere.:rolleyes:

Chilli Monster
3rd May 2002, 13:44
The BAA argue that there are plenty of airfields in the vicinity which service G/A, which there are
Where?

Popham is unlicensed and grass. Bournemouth and Goodwood I would hardly call "in the area" Lee-on-Solent is unuseable apart from permission from God or his right hand man.

Mats part 3 - you should have offered Mr N a seat - sure he would have gone halves (I take it you were at the same meeting)

CM

HelenD
3rd May 2002, 18:55
Yes the fees are rather steep but the airport is OK for GA. I will agree with chilli monster about alternatives being non existant. - Bornemouth is 21nm away by air but further by road.
I hope GA at Southampton continues as that is where I am learning