PDA

View Full Version : Using TMG hours from air cadet flying for a PPL..

jmpr
1st Aug 2013, 21:26
As someone who has now nearly finished University and with a job to hopefully come........now i feel is the time to get back into training for a PPL.

Already i have a reasonable amount of hours (70+ though a few wont count with a permit to fly A/C and flying without a qual. instructor)

To cut out the stuff i already know (say ex.1 to 17) i want to see if i can get my PPL cheap by counting the hours i did in cadets a couple of years ago- as hopefully flying with an instructor will count. I did quite a few hours with a qualified instructor in the Grob Tutor, which i know will count.- however i have quite a few hours on a TMG 'vigilant' as i also got a motor glider scholarship to which i went solo.

So, can hours on the vigilant as a pilot U/T count towards a PPL (a)? Even though i could get a NPPL TMG/SLMG rating (which i don't).

Already the first answer to many would be what's the point using hours on a totally different aircraft- but if it comes to that i need the 25 hours of dual flying- but happen to only need 15 or so, i wouldn't mind using the hours just to cover the minimum 25.

Would like to hear anyone in the know, and if anyone has used hours in cadets before. - bearing in mind it could take me 100 hours more to get my PPL and therefore would be no need to count air cadet hours...

Scott C
1st Aug 2013, 22:21
When I asked this I was told you can't count the hours in the Tutor and you can only count a maximum of 10 hours in the Vigilant.

jmpr
1st Aug 2013, 22:40
@ Scott C, all i know as long as you flew with a qualified instructor (normally the boss) of an AEF tutor squadron then you could count it- where i flew they would always ask if anyone was doing a PPL, and they would put you with a qual. instructor.

With vigilant flying i've seen nothing except you could count 30 hours PIC if you have done over 100 hours towards a CPL.. nothing about P U/T hours for a PPL.

TheClaggy
2nd Aug 2013, 00:55
Yeah, tutor hours don't count as it is really passenger flying (the captain's seat is the right-hand seat, and it is flown solo from the right-hand seat).

When I inquired about using P/UT hours from GS vigilant training I never really got a straight answer- Allot of people said 10 hours can be counted towards a PPL but after my CFI looked into it, I was told only solo hours could be counted under the new rules :ugh: . It didn't really matter in the end because by the time I took the test I had done over the minimum 45 hours on Class A aircraft anyway.

tmmorris
2nd Aug 2013, 08:31
There may be some kind of special deal - though under EASA there probably isn't - but the basic problem you will have is that the VGS instructors aren't qualified civilian instructors so the P/UT hours won't count...

jmpr
2nd Aug 2013, 22:00
Thanks for the knowledge @adam_634

I'd thought it would be a case of not being able to count Vigilant hours, particularly with the EASA takeover- Not being able to count Tutor hours for an EASA license but for a NPPL (now known LAPL i believe) is a bit of a shame.. though may be able to count a few towards it..

Joining back to my local VGS wont work as they've converted to Vikings, but i guess civi flying a Grob 109 is cheap- and know a few places that fly them so i could possibly go down the NPPL SSEA/ SLMG route- but with the sort flying im doing at the moment will require an EASA PPL plus 40 hours after the issue of a license- and a few ratings with it too.. :hmm:

Well at £120 an hour back at my home flying school in a C150 compared to £170 near my University- it may be possible to do it cheap back at home..