PDA

View Full Version : Duty on refurbishment service from USA

30csl
29th Jul 2013, 07:15
Does anyone know what sort of duty will be payable on return if I send boost pumps to the US from the UK to be rebuilt? Say the cost of refurb is $800 for both?

Thanks

stickandrudderman
29th Jul 2013, 17:17
None. Speak to the shipping co. There's a special form to fill out.

30csl
29th Jul 2013, 18:45
Thanks. I guess Vat is still payable on the refurb service value?

custardpsc
29th Jul 2013, 22:23
Wouldnt have thought so, but if there was a case for charging vat it would be on the value of the goods shown on the accompanying paperwork, rather than any services rendered to the goods. In any case these are 'returning goods' and if they were originally duty and vat paid in the uk then they shouldn't be vat or duty charged again. That may be the purpose of the special form stickandrudderman refers to but I'm no expert on the specifics of aircraft parts, am sure someone else on here will be along with a better answer shortly

flyingfemme
30th Jul 2013, 06:31
Duty is not due if you claim end use exemption. That can be done on a one-off basis; your shipper should be able to supply a form. Make sure they know in advance because it is very difficult to get duty back if no claim is made at the time.
VAT will be due and must be paid before clearance, unless you have a deferment account. You probably don't or you would know this stuff already.
These are both paid on the value of the services/upgrades performed plus the shipping. Shippers generally charge a fee for this on top.
Make sure that the correct paperwork is done when sending the units out.....or you can't prove that they went out for service and will be charged as for new imports.
Again your shipper should be ale to help. You will need commercial invoices in the correct format.

30csl
31st Jul 2013, 10:42
That is a great help - thanks everyone. Seems i got spanked by Fedex for VAT only so can't really complain.

Thanks.