PDA

View Full Version : The girl's death at the hands of firefighters

armchairpilot94116
28th Jul 2013, 15:54
The Asiana thread is locked, but if it is ok to discuss just the girls death here at the hands of the firefighters.

More info is coming out that the girl was alive and spotted by firemen before she was covered in foam and a supervisor decided she was dead and she was left there. Then another fire truck came by and ran over her.

Procedures on deciding someone is dead and not removing that person to a safe area on that decision clearly has to change. Apparently she had been brought out from the back of the plane by rescuers and set on the ground. Should have been taken to the triage location set up farther away and not just left outside the aircraft.

The girl was clearly ALIVE at that point until run over by a massive firetruck ending any chance of survival.

I believe the people responsible should get serious jail time for manslaughter and tremendous dereliction of duty. I hope the fire department is sued for hundreds of millions of dollars for this.

And I am not a lawyer.

Events leading to air crash victim being run over - SFGate (http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Events-leading-to-air-crash-victim-being-run-over-4691434.php)

Speed of Sound
28th Jul 2013, 16:01
a supervisor decided she was dead

You can't decide whether someone is dead or alive however you can check whether they are.

And if you can't confirm that they are dead then you assume they may still be alive and base everything else on that. And if you are not qualified to do that then you also assume they may still be alive and base everything else on that.

There are some serious questions to be answered here. :(

junebug172
28th Jul 2013, 16:18
Manslaughter? Look it up first before you post such nonsense. Should the rescuers also be charged for leaving her in an unsafe place?

armchairpilot94116
28th Jul 2013, 16:25
I am not a lawyer, but the people who spotted her and left her there in danger deserve to be hung out to dry, along with their supervisor who was not qualified to determine she had died . They are responsible for her death.

Yes , agree with previous poster, she should not have been assumed to be dead and should have been brought out of the danger area. She should have been assumed to be alive. Her death was caused by negligence of rescuers pure and simple.

Avionker
28th Jul 2013, 16:28
There are some serious questions to be answered here.

There are, and an unbiased and non-accusatory investigation is what is required. Procedures should be looked at and revised if required.

I believe the people responsible should get serious jail time for manslaughter and tremendous dereliction of duty. I hope the fire department is sued for hundreds of millions of dollars for this.

And attitudes like that will never improve safety. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

As a point of interest how many of the survivors are alive today as a result of the fire crews actions?

MathFox
28th Jul 2013, 16:33
I am pretty sure that the NTSB report on the accident will have significant sections on emergency response and survivability. My impression is that the airport fire brigade can (and will) learn lessons from this event. I have some questions on where the ambulances were, but can wait till the report.