PDA

View Full Version : No need for MEP CRI course?

Needles Crossed
24th Jul 2013, 21:37
Just came across the following rather surprising statement in CAP 804!

FCL.905.CRI CRI – Privileges and conditions

(b) The privileges of a CRI are restricted to the class or type of aeroplane in which the instructor assessment of competence was taken. The privileges of the CRI shall be extended to further classes or types when the CRI has completed, within the last 12 months:
(1) 15 hours flight time as PIC on aeroplanes of the applicable class or type of
aeroplane;
(2) one training flight from the right hand seat under the supervision of another CRI or FI qualified for that class or type occupying the other pilot’s seat

I take this to mean that the 5 hour flying/10 hour ground school training course is no longer applicable for SEP CRIs who are seeking to obtain MEP CRI privileges. Surely, it must also apply for the SEP FI given that this rating includes all the privileges of a CRI.

Am I missing something here? Can a SEP instructor start instructing on twins solely after surviving 15 hours PIC and 1 training flight now?

Whopity
25th Jul 2013, 06:32
905 fails to acknowledge that there are two CRI qualifications SE and ME as detailed in 915:FCL.915.CRI CRI — Prerequisites
An applicant for a CRI certificate shall have completed at least:

(a) for multi-engine aeroplanes:
(1) 500 hours flight time as a pilot on aeroplanes;
(2) 30 hours as PIC on the applicable class or type of aeroplane;

b) for single-engine aeroplanes:
(1) 300 hours flight time as a pilot on aeroplanes;
(2) 30 hours as PIC on the applicable class or type of aeroplane. and further in 930:FCL.930.CRI CRI — Training course
(a) The training course for the CRI shall include, at least:

(3) 5 hours of flight instruction on multi-engine aeroplanes, or 3 hours of flight instruction on single-engine aeroplanes, given by an FI(A) qualified in accordance with FCL.905.FI(i).

BillieBob
25th Jul 2013, 09:13
FCL.915.CRI applies only to the applicant for a CRI certificate - in this case, the individual already holds a certificate and so this provision does not apply. Furthermore, he has already completed the training course for the CRI certificate and so FCL.930.CRI is not relevant either.

The only requirement relevant to the holder of a CRI certificate for single-engine aeroplanes seeking to have the privileges extended to multi-engine aeroplanes is FCL.905.CRI(b). Neither is there any requirement for an assessment of competence on ME aeroplanes, except in the framework of future revalidation/renewal of the certificate. This would also seem to short-cut the experience requirement for CRI(ME) as the holder of a CRI(SE) would, in theory, be able to gain ME privileges with only 315 hours total flight time (plus a training flight) and 15 hours PIC on the applicable class instead of 500 and 30 respectively.

This may well be one of the 'drafting errors' (eurospeak for cock-ups by incompetent bureaucrats) that are currently being addressed by the FCL.002 working group in Cologne. Meanwhile, however, the law says what the law says.

S-Works
25th Jul 2013, 11:40
It is my understanding from discussion in the last week on this subject that their is a IN being drafted to clarify this. According to the CAA the full requirements of CRI ME have to be met as they were in the past. They will take a dim view of anyone trying to circumvent the requirements.

Whopity
25th Jul 2013, 14:57
They will take a dim view of anyone trying to circumvent the requirements.The CAA's job is to apply the Law as written, not to take a dim view of those who elect to comply with it! Perhaps they should accept it applies to them as well!

Treadstone1
25th Jul 2013, 15:51
Hearing it thru the grape vine that there are approx 140 jobs going within SRG at the CAA, along with their pensions taking a hammering, is it any wonder nobody at the CAA gives a fu*k anymore?

Needles Crossed
28th Jul 2013, 12:38
Strange bit is that the requirements for a FI to extend his privileges to MEP instruction are very clear and include the training and checking as required pre EASA. I would be very surprised if this extension of privileges without the requirement for training or checking is only available to CRIs and not FIs!

Whopity
28th Jul 2013, 16:07
The more you read the EASA documents the more of theses anomalies you find. Classic of letting non aviators play with things they have no comprehension of. There is a good job waiting for them in the Health Service!

S-Works
28th Jul 2013, 20:17
The situation was no different under JAA. It's just a new set of rules for the old farts to moan about.

Whopity
28th Jul 2013, 23:20
It wasn't legally binding under the JAA, now it is!

maximus610
8th May 2016, 17:31
Is this still possible to do the CRI MEP (for CRI SEP holders) with only 15h without course? Anyone done?

ifitaintboeing
9th May 2016, 06:51
Is this still possible to do the CRI MEP (for CRI SEP holders) with only 15h without course?

No, it's not. The rules were amended by Commission Regulation 245/2014 to correct this, and now state:

FCL.905.CRI CRI Privilges and conditions

(c) Applicants for a CRI for multi-engine aeroplanes holding a CRI certificate for single-engine aeroplanes shall have fulfilled the prerequisites for a CRI established in FCL.915.CRI(a) and the requirements of FCL.930.CRI(a)(3) and FCL.935

Which is: meet the prerequisites (FCL.915.CRI(a)), complete the training course (FCL.930.CRI(a)(3)), and assessment of competence (FCL.935).

ifitaint...

SpannerInTheWerks
9th May 2016, 19:04
Can a SEP instructor start instructing on twins solely after surviving 15 hours PIC and 1 training flight now?

Sometimes you need to stand back and consider what you're writing ...

Okay the drafting of the legislation leaves a lot to be desired - but who is going to allow you to start instructing on that basis (in the real World that is, not EASA fairyland) ?!?!?!

S-Works
10th May 2016, 14:44
Brilliant!! Well said Spanner.