PDA

View Full Version : Gulfstream 150 is single pilot or multipilot?

Victo
18th Jul 2013, 07:04
Hello,
Could anyone tell me if the G150 is a multipilot airplane (and thus the the hours on it count for the 500 multipilot hours needed for JAA atpl), or is it a single pilot approved plane?

Trim Stab
18th Jul 2013, 08:25
multipilot.

http://www.easa.europa.eu/certification/experts/docs/oeb-general/List_of_Aeroplanes_--_Class_and_Type_Ratings_and_Endorsement_List-12062013.pdf

500 above
18th Jul 2013, 10:33
Most certainly multi pilot. A lovely aircraft. The downside is that the only sim is in Dallas/Fort Worth, at Flight Safety International.

Victo
18th Jul 2013, 15:40
Many thanks Trim Stab and 500above! I have been offered a job on that plane in Germany as FO, but I am just near to start the course of the B1900 for a job based at my home and I don't know what to do... I think the G150 is a better plane but it looks like it's not a very popular aircraft, I've been looking for job offers on the type in the last months in latest pilot jobs and I have found none for FO. Thinking in the future, what would you recommend me? My fear is that if something goes wrong it may be easier to find another job holding a B1900 type rating than a G150 one.

A Pandy
18th Jul 2013, 17:19
The G150 is most certainly still in production and is a very capable aircraft. I would certainly consider time on a G150 more useful than time in a Kingair. There are plenty of high time Kingair pilots.

dynamite dean
18th Jul 2013, 20:04
could be worse a hawker 4000 !

EDA
18th Jul 2013, 20:43
In my opinion it depends who will pay the expenses for the type rating? However I wouldn't pay anything for any of these airplanes.
But I think the G150 is far better experience than the B1900. And there aren't many B1900 around in Europe either.
Consider also which company will give you better terms&conditions and higher salary.
If you're going to business aviation be aware that unless you are rated on CL604/605, or some of the Falcons, or some of the large cabin jets (G450/550, Global) you will always have hard time finding the next job and it can take 1 year or more or eternity to find it (on the same type).
So, if they pay for the type rating and give you a normal salary and you get to fly around 300 hours per year I would go for the G150.

Because there is probably a possibility to do some freelance work on these other 13 airplanes you've found if your company/owner goes bankrupt... There aren't many G150 pilots around that's for sure...

And if you have EASA ATPL I suggest you pass FAA ATP written and get your FAA licence together with the G150 type rating...

buzzc152
18th Jul 2013, 20:44
Please stop calling the B1900 a Kingair !!! It isn't. It is a super aeroplane and miles better than a rubbish Kingair:

However, I would go for the jet every time.

Bearcat F8F
18th Jul 2013, 21:50
Please stop calling the B1900 a Kingair !!! It isn't. It is a super aeroplane and miles better than a rubbish Kingair:

However, I would go for the jet every time.

Really? How come? I think the King Air looks miles better.

I'm not a commercial pilot yet, but I am genuinely interested why the B1900 > King Air ?

buzzc152
18th Jul 2013, 22:00
The B1900 is a 19 seat regional turbo prop. It serves a totally different purpose to the Kingair. True, the 1900 is based on the basic Kingair design, it shares many of the same systems etc but it is a different aeroplane, different type rating, different concept.

As for looks, well that's a matter if opinion. I think the 1900 is a rather handsome machine but I appreciate I may well be the only person on the planet to think so.

drag king
18th Jul 2013, 22:26
I think the 1900 is a rather handsome machine but I appreciate I may well be the only person on the planet to think so.

I think you may be not far from the truth, in TX the chaps used to call it called it the UGLYLINER...:}

DK ;)

Caboclo
19th Jul 2013, 00:54
Victo, what are your long term goals? If you plan to get into the airlines, then jet time is your best means to that end.

AZAV8R
19th Jul 2013, 08:56
The G150 indeed is a very capable aircraft. What is hurting its marketability and new deliveries by Gulfstream/IAI...besides the fact that the entire mid-size jet market is very soft...is the used Galaxy/G200 market. One can purchase a used Galaxy/G200 with its much larger cabin for considerably less than a new G150, and late model G200s are going for about the same as a new G150. The G150 does some things better than a Galaxy/G200...but certainly not in the cabin size/comfort department.

silverknapper
19th Jul 2013, 16:43
It serves a totally different purpose to the Kingair. True, the 1900 is based on the basic Kingair design, it shares many of the same systems etc but it is a different aeroplane, different type rating, different concept.

Showing your ignorance there. The 1900 and 300 are a common type. And what's different conceptually? From what I can see the concept is the same. Albeit executed differently.
Also interested in why the King Air is rubbish? And why the 1900 is far better? Youre talking through the hole in your arse. The numbers speak for themself. But I await your measured response.

Victo, I agree with most of whats offered above, apart from Buzz who is in denial obviously.

If your G150 job goes it will be difficult to get another I'd think. It's not popular over in the eastern hemisphere. Partly due to the fact it is a political pain in the proverbial if you want to go near the middle east. From job security a Hawker rating is much better.

The 1900 is an interesting one. If you're in France there may be a bit of work. Or the odd bit in Germany. But as I said above it is a common type with the 300. Of which there are many in every possible role from VIP to surveillance to ambulance.

But for advancement it would have to be the jet.

Victo
19th Jul 2013, 17:35
Thank you very much for all your messages. In both jobs the TR is paid by the company, and even if the salary in germany would be a little bit higher I would also have more expences living out of home. I don`t mind to leave my home, the only thing that I mind prior to taking my decision is to do the best for my career. My long term goals, answering to Caboclo, are the same than Scarlett Ohara in «Gone with the Wind», this is to never be hungry again! I do not mind to fly in an airline , a private jet or to return agflying as I have been many years, but I've been many years fighting for my career with long times without flying and spending in planes the money I had earned prevously flying... What I would like is a stable job...I know that in aviation this is utopic!
I've nearly taken a decision, and waiting for some final negotiations with the company I will probably go for the G150, even if it's a scarce plane I will fly much more than in the B1900 and this is important too.
Thank you again gor all your advices!

EDA
19th Jul 2013, 17:46
Victo, I forgot to mention. Both companies will probably give some estimate of the hours you will fly, however use common sense to see the "reality". Meaning, ask where are they flying/or will fly, private owner or charter (in case of G150), ask some pilots that are already in the company how much they fly (if you can)... Stuff like that.
I spent almost 3 years in business aviation and my minimum was 250 hours/year and maximum 400 hours/year in the same company. But at the time of joining this company I was told higher numbers...

500 above
20th Jul 2013, 05:45
If your G150 job goes it will be difficult to get another I'd think. It's not popular over in the eastern hemisphere. Partly due to the fact it is a political pain in the proverbial if you want to go near the middle east. From job security a Hawker rating is much better.

There are quite a few G150's around in Europe now. Even the Russians like them. It's a damned good aircraft. You can't compare a 1900 to a G150...

As far as the "political pain" tosh about operating one in the Middle East.... Have you ever operated one in the region? We do. No issues either. We are based in the region and have operated to Lebanon, Jordan, Yemen, Congo, Sudan, Egypt, Qatar (involving Saudi overflight) Dubai, Turkey, Uganda etc etc. infact, I know of two G200's based in Dubai, kind of puts that idea out of the window...

Yes, a Hawker rating may stand him in better stead if his job goes, but that's not on offer, is it? As far as aircraft go, the Hawker is a POS compared to the G150. (Faster, further, higher, newer design, baggage hold etc etc)

Edit: The G150 has a Gulfstream data plate only - no IAI.

AZAV8R
20th Jul 2013, 07:17
As far as aircraft go, the Hawker is a POS compared to the G150.

:ok: With the exception of cabin length...I'll agree with that!

cressidom
24th Jul 2013, 04:09
G150 is multi-pilot ,

interesting that Gulfstream went with Rockwell Collins for the avionics. I like it that way.