PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Shorts

fireflybob
17th Jul 2013, 11:42
As we are doubtless aware, most of the UK is enjoying a heatwave.

Am interested to hear views with respect to flying (indeed even instructing) in light aircraft whilst wearing shorts versus long trousers.

I have my own views but others have suggested the potential fire risk and therefore (possible) extra injury and also that shorts don't look "professional"!

Thanks for any views.

S-Works
17th Jul 2013, 12:31
I wear shorts and a t shirt every day here in Spain. Average daily temps here are mid thirties. Last week we had several days in a row over 40.

dubbleyew eight
17th Jul 2013, 13:19
I nominate fireflybob as the funniest poster on pprune.

"wearing shorts is a fire risk in an aircraft."

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

I do finally understand what ROTFL (rolling in the floor laughing) means.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
17th Jul 2013, 14:22
The question is, have you ever seen an aeroplane burn and would shorts have speeded up your exit?

fireflybob
17th Jul 2013, 14:31
W8, am not amused - you haven't seen me in shorts!

sapperkenno
17th Jul 2013, 14:39
I have heard of a CAA examiner send somebody home, refusing to fly with them because they were wearing shorts.
I'd say do what you want. You also get the crowd who wear RAF flying gloves with the reasoning that they want to be able to use their hands for operating the switches/levers should the cockpit set alight.
As far as being professional, I'd rather fly with a bloke who knows what he's doing with an aeroplane and can instruct properly (if that's his role) than worry about if he's turned out in a shirt and trousers.

mad_jock
17th Jul 2013, 14:46
This is a very UK question, simple fact is that there are more pilots flying in shorts every day round the world than there are pilots in the UK.

I prefer not to have shorts mainly because the back of my legs get stuck to the seat and burnt when you plop unto it after its been sitting in the sun for ages. Unless it is a sheep skin cover.

Thin pair of cotton chino's from markies work a treat though with a cotton shirt.

But that's just what I find comfy to fly in. Not for any in the event of fire reason.

cavortingcheetah
17th Jul 2013, 14:51
Well, if you dressed in shorts like this, or in whites, it'd be professional,

http://www.sabrams.com/onAir/chanels/travelers411/showNotes/sn2011/03/26/images/england_007_img_058.jpg

but one suspects that the washed, pressed and dressed look is not exactly where the question is directed? My own view is that, in a service industry, one should not dress down to the client. You may call that professionalism, pedantry, customer consideration or plain good manners.
I don't see any fire benefit to wearing long trousers though, except perhaps a psychological one, unless the pantaloons are of flame retardant material. Sun burnt knee caps are only funny in the eyes of the under partner in a missionary expedition and that's the sort of wilting scenario, regardless of temperature, which no doubt we'd all like to avoid. Suitable gloves, on the other hand, are most useful in a fire situation and may furthermore be used to smack the pupil on the back of the head in order to induce a suitable flare.

foxmoth
17th Jul 2013, 19:32
As you had shorts capitalised i though you must be talking the aircraft!:rolleyes:

Pull what
18th Jul 2013, 07:48
shorts don't look "professional"!

Even Ryan Air dont wear them

Duchess_Driver
18th Jul 2013, 11:16
You can take the piss out of the 'white glove' crew... but ask a plastic surgeon which part of the body is the hardest to repair.!!!!

Shorts, well, not for me but that's a professional consideration rather than anything. Chinos and a polo if flying for fun, black and whites in the 'office'.

Trim Stab
18th Jul 2013, 11:54
Previous pilot in my current job was ex-mil and would fly my survey plane in all his military gear - flying suit, epaulettes, badges and wings, military ankle boots, gloves, and even a helmet - this in one of the hottest place in Africa. He could only fly three hours at a time, and returned knackered.

When I took over, first flight I turned up in flip-flops, shorts and t-shirt, and first flight flew five hours non-stop. The company declined to invite the old pilot back, and employed me instead. Fly in whatever is comfortable enough to get the job done!

Tee Emm
18th Jul 2013, 12:09
You can take the piss out of the 'white glove' crew... but ask a plastic surgeon which part of the body is the hardest to repair.!!!!

In another life, during my induction to the RAAF as a trainee pilot, we were shown gory photos of the charred toes of RAF fighter pilots who had parachuted from their burning aircraft. The reason for the lesson was to encourage us to darn any holes in our socks rather than walk around in un-darned socks. Long socks could help prevent burns to exposed ankles and feet. There was graphic evidence that having holes in socks was a fire risk.
Same film showed the horrible scars caused by wedding rings when baling out and fingers get caught. A finger stripped to the bone was not a pretty sight. My new wife got real pissed off when I refused to wear the wedding ring she bought for me.

In later years we read of the painful lesson of wearing nylon wrist-watch bands where the nylon melted in direct flame and fused into the skin if escaping a fire. We always wore gloves when flying to protect hands if fire broke out.

Once into civilian flying we soon mixed with those who snorted in derision at those of us that had viewed these nightmare photos. Memories stick and I admit to still pulling up my socks under my trousers to lessen skin exposure on take off and landing.

As a civilian flying instructor I was once flying in a Cessna 172 with a very attractive young lady as my student. She wore the shortest and tightest mini shorts I had ever seen. It was difficult to stop glancing down at her shapely legs. I didn't know whether to drop a hint about wearing long slacks rather than mini skirts. Later during de-brief I mentioned about some old wartime RAF medical film I had seen where burnt and blackened toes stuck out from a hole in a sock. I didn't mention her shorts.

But I think she got the message because next time she flew with me she wore long tight jeans. Still distracting to an old feller but better from the flight safety point of view.:ok:

mad_jock
18th Jul 2013, 13:39
Gloves and the like are your own personal choice.

If someone wants to wear them fair enough.

My personal risk take on this is that its very unlikely that I will be requiring said garments because there haven't been many aircraft shot down in Europe for a while now.

The risk incurred by wearing them due to reduced performance from being hot and sweaty and uncomfortable could be argued to more than the reduction of risk that they provide. For a civilian pilot operating in a general aviation context in most aircraft types. Yes there will be some operations which it would be advised and also some aircraft types but not your normal spam can.

fireflybob
18th Jul 2013, 14:37
The risk incurred by wearing them due to reduced performance from being hot and sweaty and uncomfortable could be argued to more than the reduction of risk that they provide. For a civilian pilot operating in a general aviation context in most aircraft types. Yes there will be some operations which it would be advised and also some aircraft types but not your normal spam can.

mad jock, my feelings also!

Thanks for all the replies.

dobbin1
18th Jul 2013, 16:38
I wear shorts when it is hot like this. Our school is of the casual dress variety (not an epaulette in sight) and our "uniform" is a polo shirt. I often fly a Katana with a bubble canopy and I think I would melt if I had to wear my black denim trousers!