PDA

View Full Version : Hours Building Job

Username here
13th Jul 2013, 02:15
Like every pilot my end state is a job with an airline, that being said I'm not in a massive rush to get to the jets. Ive wanted to enjoy my time flying, and there have been a few jobs I wanted to do before I get to that end state - instructing being high on my list. After spending some time in the flying game I feel I now have some experience I can impart on the students.

However, before I spend $15,000 on an instructor rating, I'm wondering how favourable the airlines look at S/E piston hours when hiring people ? Do they care what the hours in your logbook are, or is it a case of the more hours the better irrespective of what they are? I'd be keen to spend a couple of years instructing to build experience, SA, flying skills (and have some fun) before applying (hopefully as a better product!). I've also clocked up about 800 hours multi engine turbine.

I know it varies with supply and demand, but does anyone have any generalised insight?

Pilotshumornetwork
13th Jul 2013, 02:32
Mate I have applied with more than that, however have not even received an interview. I believe it is all about timing.......wish it was 2007 again

Dash8driver1312
13th Jul 2013, 05:09
Airlines do look at what your hours were spent doing. For example, at least one European LCC applies a "correction factor" to your hours, x1 for all time spent on the type they use, x0.8 for biz jets, x0.75 for turboprops etc...

DeltaT
13th Jul 2013, 09:30
I've also clocked up about 800 hours multi engine turbine.

With those sort of hours you are too experienced to Instruct unless you are a Grade 1. Employers will be scared of you leaving at the drop of a hat. I strongly advise you not to blow your money on a Instructor rating.

VH-XXX
13th Jul 2013, 09:46
I'm not in a massive rush to get to the jets. Ive wanted to enjoy my time flying

You make it sound like you won't enjoy flying a jet ! Maybe jets won't give you what you are looking for.

Username here
13th Jul 2013, 10:03
You make it sound like you won't enjoy flying a jet ! Maybe jets won't give you what you are looking for.

Nah, I'm just at the start of my career mate - just want to enjoy the full experience the industry can provide up to and including the jets!

With those sort of hours you are too experienced to Instruct unless you are a Grade 1

That's sad for the industry - you should never be too experienced to teach!!!

Centaurus
13th Jul 2013, 13:54
Nah, I'm just at the start of my career mate - just want to enjoy the full experience the industry can provide up to and including the jets!

In that case why not apply to join the RAAF? There is a big waiting list just like the airlines, but you don't pay a cent. If your application is successful and if you successfully complete the flying and ground course (which is certainly not a given despite your previous experience) then you would probably enjoy the full experience of the industry you crave. You will learn a lot more than instructing in a 152 for a few years in the circuit.

Donttakeittoheart
13th Jul 2013, 13:55
Instructing should be a passion...not a means of filling the logbook.:=

clear to land
13th Jul 2013, 16:37
I fail to understand the 'too experienced to instruct' comment. There will always be a place for Junior Instructors, but they all should have/need mentoring and supervision-and that comes from EXPERIENCE!!!! Seriously :ugh:

Avgas172
13th Jul 2013, 22:14

Do pilots actually enjoy flying jets or is it just a good income that attracts? personally I would rather spend the rest of my (limited) life instructing, even with theory tuition than fly an E190 or B737 every day, so I guess it just depends on your mindset at the present time (different strokes for different folks)

Good luck on your trip through life anyway! :ok:

Jamair
14th Jul 2013, 01:28
Like every pilot my end state is a job with an airline Um, no actually, not even close. :rolleyes:

Trojan1981
14th Jul 2013, 01:59
Quote:
Like every pilot my end state is a job with an airline
Um, no actually, not even close.

My thoughts exactly. Why not try what Centaurus is suggesting and apply for the ADF, even learn to fly helicopters, and leave airline flying for after you've had your fun and just want a job to cruise into retirement?

You can become a QFI in the ADF too.

Clare Prop
14th Jul 2013, 05:18
Quote:
Like every pilot my end state is a job with an airline
Um, no actually, not even close.

Hear hear! Can think of nothing more boring. Please stay out of the instructor "game" if it is just a means to build hours, leave it to the professionals :hmm:

Username here
14th Jul 2013, 06:33
Why not try what Centaurus is suggesting and apply for the ADF, even learn to fly helicopters

Funny you should say!! :8

My current job is flying choppers in the ADF, however I'm looking to switch to fixed wing so I can one day fly "the big stuff." Unfortunatly for me I can't change to the RAAF due to manning issues (Even though I've done 2FTS).

I was looking at instructing at BFTS, but my service has limited positions at the school, and it's way too late to put my hat in the ring for that job now (and I think the flashbacks from that place would kill me:}) So if I want to instruct Ill have to do it in the civilian sector.

I love flying choppers but I know I need a bucket load of fixed wing PIC time if I want to be realistic about applying to the airlines one day - so I was looking at instructing as something I really want to do and as something that will hopefully count to the airlines down the track...

Please stay out of the instructor "game" if it is just a means to build hours, leave it to the professionals :hmm:

Are you saying (without knowing a thing about me) that I'm so unprofessional that, because part of my motivation is hours building, that Ill do a half arsed job instructing?

Pull your head in mate...

emeritus
14th Jul 2013, 07:47
Do the airlines still have an upper age limit ?

In my day the airlines lost interest after age 27 unless they were desperate which was not very often. Seems these days there is a much bigger pool to draw on.

Emeritus

Clare Prop
14th Jul 2013, 08:46
"Are you saying (without knowing a thing about me) that I'm so unprofessional that, because part of my motivation is hours building, that Ill do a half arsed job instructing?"

Wasn't addressed to you in particular although you did refer to flying as a "game" :*

To a lot of us instructing is a career in itself, flying isn't a "game" and is not just a way of building hours for the airlines, many of us dislike being generalised about as if civvy pilots who chose other career paths are somehow "failed" airline pilots who couldn't make it. it's a different world out here in civvy street with completely different motivations, career paths and opportunities to those in the ADF.

I also dislike being told to "pull my head in" by someone whose career has so far been paid for by my taxes. Have a nice day.

Username here
14th Jul 2013, 09:06
Wasn't addressed to you in particular although you did refer to flying as a "game"

It's an expression mate... As in "yes old chap I've been in the old flying game for many moons now."

many of us dislike being generalised about as if civvy pilots who chose other career paths are somehow "failed" airline pilots who couldn't make it. it's a different world out here in civvy street with completely different motivations, career paths and opportunities to those in the ADF.

Never did I make ANY generalisations against civilian pilots being failed airline pilots, nor did I play the ADF v civvie card (I actually wrote my initial post with the intent of staying away fom my military background) Yes I made a mistake when I said "like all pilots" I should have said something among the lines of "As all pilots that are aspiring to be an airline pilot yadda yadda... If this has caused offence to you Clare I humbly appoligise.

I also dislike being told to "pull my head in" by someone whose career has so far been paid for by my taxes. Have a nice day.

Your taxes went toward you living in a safe, secure nation, free of violence. Where you can say what you want on an Internet forum with no violent consequences champ - not my career.

Before you imply that I owe you for my career... How about you take some quiet time to consider what that career actually involves....

DeltaT
14th Jul 2013, 09:52
I fail to understand the 'too experienced to instruct' comment. There will always be a place for Junior Instructors

Yes there will be a place for Junior Instructors.
However you are not a Junior Pilot, and that is the difference.

Go and call up a few places, pretend to be a qualified Instructor make sure to say all your experience of turbine etc and report back here with the replies you get. I am trying to point out to you the commercial reality from a Aeroclub or Training Organisation point of view. Hope you have checked out the pay rates too by the way.

truthinbeer
14th Jul 2013, 11:05
Username, you set yourself up and those who responded by not telling more about your experiences. To then attack those who were good enough to respond is ungracious.

No-one is setting out to deliberately attack you or down play your apparently considerable experience.