PDA

View Full Version : Spreading my Wings!!!

Madhost
4th Jul 2013, 14:58
Hi All - I have recently passed my PPL and following a few local flights with friends and family I now want to "spread my wings" and try stretching myself to fly further.

I mainly fly a PA28 Warrior.

I would welcome suggestions for good airfields to visit which would be circa 60-90 minutes away from Milton Keynes, which will allow me to build some more flying experience.
I would prefer concrete runways (as that is what I mainly learnt on) to grass and given my level of experience, the longer the better ;).

Also looking to avoid airfields which could require "complex" transitions through controlled airspace etc. or ones which can be hard to find / access.....like I said I am trying to build my confidence in stages.

Any suggestions and feedback comments about why the airfield would be good or any tricky elements to consider would be gratefully received

Many thanks

RR Driver
4th Jul 2013, 17:08
You have got most of England and Wales covered in 90 mins from MK. Start by trying places like Sywell, Coventry, Wolverhampton, Sleap. Once you have a bit more confidence perhaps see if you can get a more experienced pilot to do a trip with you to somewhere like Barton, which has a Grass strip and lots of controlled airspace, as what might seem like a complex transit usually isn't unless you start trying to go through Manchester, Luton, Gatwick etc. enjoy your PPL

Jude098
4th Jul 2013, 17:34
Oxford, Sywell, Gloucester (not as terrifying as you might think), Shobdon,
Half-Penny Green (Wolverhampton), Wellesbourne, Cambridge,

Madhost
9th Jul 2013, 10:58
Thanks. I will have a look at some of the suggested airfields. I think Wolverhampton is looking like a good option followed by Kemble and then possibly Shoreham or Retford Gamstone as slightly further afield sites

GBOZR
9th Jul 2013, 22:34
I fly from Cranfield, right next to Milton Keynes (I'm assuming you fly at CFD too or atleast close by somewhere!) I recommend Gamston personally i think its a nice trip up and they have a newly refurbished cafe with excellent fish and chips!

Happy Landings!

Jonzarno
10th Jul 2013, 06:51
Try Duxford and budget plenty of time to look round the exhibits there. Who knows, you may even get to share the circuit with a Spitfire? :)

If you want to try a larger airport, Cambridge is very friendly and undaunting and just a couple of minutes away.

foxmoth
10th Jul 2013, 07:00
And don't be afraid of grass, try Goodwood (but not FoS weekend!), one of the longest grass runways in the country. The thing you will find strange first time landing on grass is the noise, you will notice a lot of banging noises from the gear, but nothing to be worried about, otherwise, much the same as a hard.:ok:

Pilot.Lyons
10th Jul 2013, 18:49
Leicester is good.... And tatenhill have a nice long runway :)

JDA2012
11th Jul 2013, 14:12
I've just come back from Seething (Seething Airfield - Flying Club (http://www.seething-airfield.com)) - lovely place, 800m tarmac, £10 donation for landing, reasonable fuel price (£141 for 70l) and it certainly extended my experience (now 57H C150 PPL) getting there from Blackpool (very many CTAs and MATZs on/nearby the route). Looks a lot more convenient for you - think you will just need to talk to the Yanks (Mildenhall / Lakenheath) on the way over, and do check there will be someone in before setting off, though you should have plenty of fuel to get back if it's locked up!

kesikun
11th Jul 2013, 18:40
Also from Cranfield.... :ok:

Post PPL last year here are my list of destinations I have visited and would recommend.

Duxford - PPR - 2 hours free Visit the Museum- park next to the "Bomber" or follow a warbird on final !

Turweston - nice short one to gain confidence PPR - tarmac or grass

Connington - again a nice short one for a coffee and cake !

Wellesbourne - take your partner to the Saturday market - they let you park close to the market , car comes over to collect landing fees - PPR preferred

Skegness - very long grass - seaside trip good day out

Shoreham - tarmac or grass - always a nice welcome and the beach is 10 mins walk

Farnbourgh - wait for a safety day otherwise you can expect to be charged £500 for landing !

Kemble - very easy to get to and nice cafe.

Le Touquet - not really far !

Alderney - super little island !

Sandown IOW - great place long grass strip ATC very welcome

If you want someone to ride along send me a PM .... :ok:

Dysonsphere
11th Jul 2013, 18:54
Try White Waltham its grass but standard RAF triangle and 1000 meters to play with and a very nice clubhouse.