PDA

View Full Version : What is the best £25 (or so) you've ever spent in aviation

RMC
3rd Jul 2013, 22:29
For me Pilots Free Flight Atlas...so much info in so little space.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
4th Jul 2013, 06:59
A ride in the NZ Catalina.

alosaurus
7th Jul 2013, 20:01
Can't get much for £25 ....but as I really struggle to sleep at this time of year here is my top ten sleep aids list.... you could buy two or three of most of these items for that price!

No 1 - Fast acting sublingual "Melatonin liquid". Pros - Knocks you out within 20 mins better than any drug I have tried (herbal or otherwise). Cons does cause drowsiness so never use it within 18 hours of a duty. Supplier google Herbal Authority, Holbrook.

No 2 - "Sleep Master" Comfortable / secure noise and light reduction gadget. Blocks ALL light the ear plugs alone block 39 dB (35 the US version) the noise attenuating mask side pads also reduce the noise significantly (and keep the plugs in). Cons although washable if you use it most nights it will be tatty after 6 months. Supplier search ebay.co.uk

No 3 - "Dream pillow mist" Again this is virtually instantaneous. Lavender based product. Cons short acting so you get through it quickly. Supplied by Boots

No 4 - "Cherry active" capsules Monmorency Cherry powder. Also an anti oxident ... take a couple of hours before going to bed. Cons not as effective as Melatonin ... again not cheap at £30 a bottle. Supplier Cherry Active Harworth

No 5 - Sominex, antihistamine product very effective but not near the top because its also very addictive and I only use occaisonally if I have to sleep and nothing else will do. Google Sominex.

No 6 - Valarien Root, similar natural product to Cherry active...can get it in liquid form which tends to be faster acting. Con some people just don't react to this one ...others would put it higher up the list... very much depends on the individual. I find effect also masked by eating before hand. Supplier any Herbal Shop.

No 7 - Relaxing Sleep Lavender and Camomile bath soak. Use three hours before bed as anything less than this and your body temp will be too hign. Supplied by the co-operative.

No 8 - Lavender body mist - Essential oil spray. Con need to shower to get rid of the smell in the morning. Supplier "The Body Shop" Amazon.

No 9 - "Night Nurse" (drowsy version) Slow acting but does knock you out.Cons tastes awful but more importantly really slows your reactions down the day after ..I don't drive after takking this. Supplied by any Chemist.

No 10 - "Calms" tablets - Effective non natural sleep aid. Gives me a monster headache and dry eyes in the morning. Some people get nightmares after taking this...which kind of defeats the object! Again available from any Chemist.

Zoyberg
8th Jul 2013, 20:43
Alos - Don't like to use Melatonin its not an approved supplement....banned in many countries. I agree though with antihistamine to knock you out....and the Sleep Master gadget to block out light and noise to keep you knocked out. Nice top ten though.....haven't heard of some of those!

Megaton
8th Jul 2013, 20:44
Easy. Clive Hughes Guide to Getting Commercial Pilots Licence

Zoyberg
16th Jul 2013, 19:37
Had forgotten about that....quality book....helped me a lot.

First.officer
16th Jul 2013, 21:33
£25...well, got blown once for that....good value for money I reckon....:}

mixture
16th Jul 2013, 22:34
Meteorology for Pilots - K.M. Wickson

pudoc
16th Jul 2013, 23:05
Ace the technical pilot interview. Quite a few mistakes, but they're blatantly obvious, and really helped me for my first technical interview (which I passed!).

West Coast
17th Jul 2013, 03:53
A lower back cushion as the lumbar support on my plane is horrible.

RMC
17th Jul 2013, 19:16
Going to change mine....Alos....the "Sleep Master" you had as your No 2 is the best £20 I have spent in my life let alone in aviation. I have really been struggling to get to sleep / stay asleep with these bright ultra short nights this nails it:zzz:. Wife also seriously pleased with the mask....but for very different reasons :mad:....win win.

m.Berger
17th Jul 2013, 20:18
The doughnuts I bought the guys at work after I soloed.

squarehole
22nd Jul 2013, 17:19
An hour gliding :ok:

Dufo
25th Jul 2013, 19:06
Drinks for her while on AOG stopover. Best investment ever :E

dusk2dawn
27th Jul 2013, 12:58
A taxi away from the airport.....

Doug E Style
27th Jul 2013, 13:51
Fate is the Hunter by Ernest Gann (and you'll have some money left for a couple of beers).

Clandestino
31st Jul 2013, 14:05
:ok: What Doug said. I got mine at Aviation World, Toronto after fighting the temptation to spend my perdiems at establishment next door.

foxmoth
2nd Aug 2013, 21:34
Think that is about the extra I paid (well, my mum and dad did) for the extra 5 hours for my PPL after my Flying Scholarship - it was a few years ago now!

DooblerChina
5th Aug 2013, 08:06
Petrol down to sponsorship interview. 10 years and 5000 767 hours later....