PDA

View Full Version : Set up an Airline (Boeing? or Airbus?)

JamesBon
3rd Jul 2013, 15:40
A friend of mine is interested in making an studio about the expenses between Airbus 320 and Boeing 737/800 and make a kind of comparation. This friend intends to set up an airline with a couple of jets at the beginning (Boeing? or Airbus?). However he doesn“t know how to study the differences and figures so that choose the best one.

Is there anyone who could give light about a specific informatic program to develop the expenses.? He is thinking about charter or ACMI (wet-lease) and a plane with an endurance about 6 hours of flight. The airline would be a Low Cost.

Thanks in advance ”

grounded27
3rd Jul 2013, 19:08
ACMI low cost airline. I can't immagine that working. I have seen way to many low cost carriers fail, the key seems to be to either stay small and pick up the scraps the large companies don't want or to go in with alot of money. There are plenty of business models to study.

Gulfstreamaviator
4th Jul 2013, 08:53
Before 9/11 I was deeply involved in a start up business only airline serving the UK to Europe.

The business only model must have niche somewhare, I am still looking.

We pitched the route, expected passenger load, as well as any cargo that we might generate.

The we looked at the airframe, and the manufacturer was never really the Key factor. The manufactures package was the key factor. Mr B had a stock of 717's, that would fit our plan. The seating capacity, as well as the ability to configure as all business was critical.

There is NO best airframe...... only the best package.

As an side, remember the adage that to make a lot of money in aviation you need to sart with shed loads of money.

Use other peoples money...... Use other peoples money....... I repeat...

PM if I can be of assistance.

Glf

Capot
4th Jul 2013, 12:19
I've got a similar T-shirt....mine was a small regional, still-born due to lack of proper funding (and we had 350 wealthy backers!)

Before you even look at any operating stuff, find a gambler with £30m he/she is prepared to lose, and would like to own an airline. If you want to operate jets, multiply that by 3.

If he wants to see a business plan, you have not got the gambler you need.

No start-up airline plan can survive the question "What happens if the revenue falls short by 20% from your predictions?" which any sensible FD or accountant will ask immediately.

The answer is always "We would run out of cash in 90 days, if we had shedloads to start with, and as soon as the industry gets the tiniest whiff of a problem, forget about buying on credit for fuel, maintenance, airport use, insurance, spare parts, etc."