PDA

View Full Version : US airport ICAO codes

+200 No Flags
30th Jun 2013, 09:08
Dear all,

I'm in the process of digitalizing my old logbook and I have run across some - it appears - obsolete ICAO codes consisting of the "K" initial, then followed by 3 characters made up of a combination of digits and letters.
Can someone confirm that these codes have been converted to 4-letter ICAO codes and perhaps how we can find the new codes based on the old ones?

Thank you!

Genghis the Engineer
30th Jun 2013, 09:19
I suspect that they never were ICAO codes.

Many smaller US airports have locally assigned codes, which are non-ICAO. To pick one that I happen to know - P33 Chochise County / Willcox.

Easiest thing is just to google the actual name of the airport, they usually come up on places like Wikipedia or Airnav and you can cross-check.

G

dont overfil
30th Jun 2013, 10:03
I had a look at a couple I've been to.

1G4 Canyon West still has its origional code.

068 Mariposa is now KMPI. Google is not your friend trying to identify Mariposa from 068. There must be a cross reference somewhere but I don't know where.

Edited to say Google did find it under O68. The website was flightstats . com.
It may find others for you. It seems that it is an FAA code with no 'K' prefix.

D.O.

172driver
30th Jun 2013, 10:12
Google *may* be your friend. Have a look at this doc (http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/lid/lidhme.htm).

+200 No Flags
30th Jun 2013, 10:37
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the quick responses.

dont overfil, believe it or not, but you have actually been great help as, of the 3 airports I was looking for, you have listed 2: 1G4 and O68 :-) Didn't find them because, just like you, I replaced the O by 0. 1G4 I misread as IG4.

Gengis, you're correct of course, they're not actually ICAO codes, but this was the closest to describing them as I could get.

Thanks again!

Mark 1
30th Jun 2013, 10:50
You can find most of them on AirNav: Airport Information (http://www.airnav.com/airports/)

Leave off the K at the front and type in the 3 character code e.g. L35 for Big Bear.

Victorian
1st Jul 2013, 11:37
The most annoying part of this is never knowing what to enter into the KLN-94. Sometimes it's prefixed with a 'K' (mostly bigger places) and sometimes not. I can't quote an example just now, but there are 3 letter places like 'PRC' (not an example) that don't come up if you include the prefix, ie. 'KPRC'. But some of the 3 letter/number ones won't come up unless you do use the 'K' prefix!

Doubtless there's a simple rule for predicting this and if anyone knows what it is, I'd be delighted to know it!