PDA

View Full Version : Wearing of Peak Caps during External Checks

Faw
26th Jun 2013, 06:50
Greetings fellow sky man. Just hav 1 quick question. Whats the industry best practices of wearing peak caps during external chks or walkarounds. I believe different airline have different rules.

The concern is, the cap itself might be a FOD threat especially in gusty wind conditions. Just to make a survey on this matter and if any of you have links that i can refer to such as country's rules n regulations or local authorities.. it is most welcomed.

THanks in advance fellas ! :D:ok:

SOPS
27th Jun 2013, 07:32
Why would you want to?

skol
27th Jun 2013, 07:44
My airline says wear hearing protection during walkrounds.

West Coast
27th Jun 2013, 14:55
It looks terrible in uniform. I get it, it's cold, I've done pre/post flights in Calgary is the most frigid of conditions but I somehow made it safely back to my warm seat.

deltahotel
27th Jun 2013, 14:57
Don't have hats - simples!

fantom
27th Jun 2013, 19:15
You have not lived unless you have done the walk-around at Calgary in about -38*C.

Tinstaafl
28th Jun 2013, 12:07
In Shetland I only ever wore a knitted hat my (then) girlfriend knitted for me. Never wore the airline supplied uniform hat except to try it on when it was issued.

777fly
28th Jun 2013, 22:30
During my 40+ years of commercial flying and innumerable external checks, the peak of my cap has saved me on at least two occasions from a broken nose, or worse, by giving me a split second warning that I was walking into an unseen object or structure on the ramp at night.

Di_Vosh
30th Jun 2013, 11:45
A different twist on the hat debate...

My opinion is that the airline peak caps are a "Well and truly passed the use-by date" anachronism that should be consigned to the past and happily left there.

The only practical use for an airline cap that was suggested to me a few years back was as a receptacle for ones' wallet, keys, etc, when going through security.

My airline stipulates hearing protection, viz vest and our ASIC (security card) for when on the ramp.

Having said that, to suggest that an airline cap could become FOD is a bit of a long bow to draw, IMHO.

During my 40+ years of commercial flying and innumerable external checks, the peak of my cap has saved me on at least two occasions from a broken nose, or worse, by giving me a split second warning that I was walking into an unseen object or structure on the ramp at night.

With respect, that's not been my experience. I've had more dings when wearing caps (especially hard-hats) than when I've not worn them.