PDA

View Full Version : London VOLMET Main and South

Uplinker
26th Jun 2013, 00:53
What has happened to these VOLMETS??

For at least 13 years, (since I've been flying commercially), these VOLMETS have been transmitted by a lovely 'lady' with very clear diction and delivery. On return to the UK from anywhere abroad, it was always a relief to hear her voice and be able to write down the weather as she read it very clearly and at just the right speed - neither too fast or too slow.

Tonight there was a different lady, who is nowhere near as good. Her delivery is too fast and erratic, her pronunciation variable, and the voice quality has a 'digital garble' to it.

Does anyone know why they have changed the equipment with the original 'lady'?

Gulfstreamaviator
26th Jun 2013, 06:49
If she voiced VOLMET, we would never turn her off.....

gorter
29th Jun 2013, 16:27
Heard her on north today. She sounded absolutely vile. It took me 3 stations to realise she was saying 11:20 and the voice sounds grating. Who can we have a moan at to bring back the old voice?

Natstrackalpha
1st Jul 2013, 00:10
This chick sat in a room and they recorded all of her words and figures that could be used on a volmet - that is why everytime she says a number it is the same voice tone per number - thus repeated.

I guess, somebody types in ". . scattered 3,000 feet . . " on a keyboard and the program picks out the pre-recorded words, human voice yet sounding a bit robotic.

MAIN
EGLL
GATWICK
STAN
CDG
MAN
DUB
AMS
BRUX