PDA

View Full Version : SANDOWN AIRFIELD

Fieldhawk
21st Sep 2012, 13:09
The latest from Sandown, Isle of Wight, EGHN..................

TOWER NOW OPERATIONAL. 119.275MHz

TELEPHONE STILL NOT OPERATIONAL BUT CARLA AT THE CAFE ON 07930 242488 WILL ANSWER ANY QUERIES.

See you at Sandown, like very soon :)

G-Atlast
18th May 2013, 18:16
Sandown airport has just changed hands. The new owners are both pilots (gyros), so hopefully it will now have a stable future at last. Contrary to some rumours, it has never been closed, but it now more open than ever! Everybody is welcome to visit our exotic overseas destination:)

flybymike
18th May 2013, 23:32
Further information when available would be appreciated.

Eg. PPR? Fuel available? Licensed ? Landing and parking fees? refreshments, cafe etc? A/G, AFISO?

mikehallam
19th May 2013, 11:07
Flew the Rans there yest p.m. it's not PPO.
Great field, Fuel ? you'll need to ask as not all infrastrucure hand-over finalised

Lovely lady, Carla, operates a snack bar, will expand it later under new friendly owners. One of whom was working hard with massive tractor and mowing the outfield.
Carla takes landing fees too, £8 for microlight, £10 for GA.
Radio often available, all necessary & usual details in the guides -just fly there & call.

mike hallam.

tmmorris
19th May 2013, 18:11
Does the snack bar include coffee & cakes? If so I know where I'm taking the children next week :-)

Only been to Sandown once and it was during the rather difficult transitional phase - quiet as the grave when we arrived and took ages to find anyone. Nice strip though.

Tim

G-Atlast
20th May 2013, 06:50
Cakes, coffee and very nice bacon butties certainly available! Unfortunately at the moment there is no avgas available on the Island, though it is available at nearby Lee on Solent. Hopefully this situation will change before too long. For those that can manage with mogas, there is a service station at the nearby morrisons which is just a short walk from the field.

flybymike
20th May 2013, 08:31
Lack of fuel is annoying, since for those coming from some distance away, it means an intermediate stop.

carlmeek
20th May 2013, 22:58
What are the operating hours?

Fieldhawk
31st May 2013, 19:45
Hi folks,

Two extracts from the EGHN website:

The Airfield is saved, the Airfield has been bought by Jonathan Owen and Tony Fowler. This is great news as they have already started sorting out the place grass has been cut and rolled. Looks like the old place again. Keep and eye out for events as we will be organising fly-ins etc. in the near future.

Isle of Wight Airport Sandown

The Isle of Wight Airport Sandown is open for business as usual. Opening hours with radio coverage will be 09:00 to 17:00 CJ's will be open from 10:00 to 17:00 most days.
Watch this space for more details.

Well that has got to be good news! :):):):)

letpmar
1st Jun 2013, 11:44
Hi
Could anyone please give me the contact details for the new owners.

Thanks

Pete

Fieldhawk
1st Jun 2013, 11:50
As I understand it, all contacts still via Carla on 07930242488.

manix-cs
4th Jun 2013, 06:29
As I understand it, all contacts still via Carla on 07930242488.

That's correct, though PPR is not required.

I flew in last weekend. The place was buzzing with about 40 visiting aircraft.

Carla is still operating from a portacabin type affair at the moment but the building under the control tower is in the process of being converted into a permanent home for her.

The runway and northern taxiway had recently been mowed, the south taxiway is uncut and out of use at the moment.

A brilliant trip out, great to see the airfield so busy, let's hope it heralds some stability!

AJMortimer
5th Jun 2013, 11:50
I was hoping to fly in on Saturday 25 May, but unfortunately was unable to due to aircraft unserviceablility.

Nevertheless I received a warm response to my initial enquiry from Jim Birnie and Carla.

Hope to be able to fly into Sandown soon!

AJM

G-Atlast
5th Jun 2013, 20:51
A new scale of landing fees for Sandown have been announced, effective immediately:

Microlight £5.00
Gyrocopter £5.00
Single Engine £10.00
Twin Engine £15.00
Helicopter £10.00

Overnight parking: Grass £5, Hanger £10 (not sure how much hanger space available at present - certainly phone first if you want this)

soaringhigh650
25th Jun 2013, 15:16
Was it ever closed?

You don't have a website.

So it doesn't appear welcoming to the public.

Jodelman
25th Jun 2013, 15:53
Yes, there is a website (http://www.eghn.org.uk/).

Bit far for you to come from the USA though!!

Jetblu
25th Jun 2013, 16:10
Landing fees. Twin engine £15.00 Multi engine £20.00 :confused:

If I shut one down, would I qualify as a single. ;)

UV
25th Jun 2013, 16:38
Twin engine £15.00 Multi engine £20.00:confused:
More than 2 engines? BN 3 maybe?

JW411
25th Jun 2013, 16:59
The Belgian DC-10.

Fieldhawk
25th Jun 2013, 18:20
All good news from Sandown Airport since it was bought by Jonathan Owen and Tony Fowler a few weeks ago.

A landline telephone has now been installed - the new number is 01983 716 926. E-mail will be available by the weekend - [email protected] and the website (www.eghn.org.uk (http://www.eghn.org.uk/)) is about to be updated. Free WiFi is also available.

The tower frequency remains 119.275MHz. Please note that PPR is not required.

Landing fees have been reduced (what?). Typically a single can now land for only £10.00. Full details are available on www.eghn.org.uk (http://www.eghn.org.uk/) / landing fees. Regretably fuel is still not available anywhere on the Isle of Wight, however efforts are being made at Sandown to resolve this.

Work to improve the facilities continues. Carla is still providing refreshments from the catering trailer whilst the team of volunteers labour to fit out a new cafe / clubroom for her.

We are on the look out for some new seaweed to feed to the pet met man (he lives somewhere under the tower). Hopefully he will provide us with some up-market weather rather that the rubbish so far this year.

So what is missing? Guess it is you. So get that aircraft out of the hangar and set course for Sandown - like now! See you there.

Fieldhawk
25th Jun 2013, 18:35
BN Trilander

carlmeek
25th Jun 2013, 18:52
A few people from our airfield have been already and brought back glowing reports, its fantastic to hear it.

I contacted the owners a week ago to get permission to use the airfield outside of published hours, because it's a great venue for a summer evening.

My question is - what's the official line on this? Can we use the airport SR-SS without PPR or is it an individual permission thing? There are a real lack of decent destinations with long opening hours.

Fieldhawk
25th Jun 2013, 19:42
Carlmeek.........

Contact the airport on the new number (01983 716926) and ask. They are the people who can answer your query.

Mike Cross
25th Jun 2013, 23:25
Unfortunately at the moment there is no avgas available on the Island, though it is available at nearby Lee on Solent.
That's true but only by arrangement so don't rely on being able to drop in unannounced and get some. Details here. (http://www.eghf.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=77)

Fieldhawk
26th Jun 2013, 17:14
All good news from Sandown Airport since it was bought by Jonathan Owen and Tony Fowler a few weeks ago.

A landline telephone has now been installed - the new number is 01983 716 926. E-mail will be available by the weekend - [email protected] and the website (www.eghn.org.uk (http://www.eghn.org.uk/)) is about to be updated. Free WiFi is also available.

The tower frequency remains 119.275MHz. Please note that PPR is not required.

Landing fees have been reduced (what?). Typically a single can now land for only £10.00. Full details are available on www.eghn.org.uk (http://www.eghn.org.uk/) / landing fees. Regretably fuel is still not available anywhere on the Isle of Wight, however efforts are being made at Sandown to resolve this.

Work to improve the facilities continues. Carla is still providing refreshments from the catering trailer whilst the team of volunteers labour to fit out a new cafe / clubroom for her.

We are on the look out for some new seaweed to feed to the pet met man (he lives somewhere under the tower). Hopefully he will provide us with some up-market weather rather that the rubbish so far this year.

So what is missing? Guess it is you. So get that aircraft out of the hangar and set course for Sandown - like now! See you there.

Phororhacos
26th Jun 2013, 17:35
Flew there today. Excellent friendly airfield. Well done to everyone involved in keeping my favourite Bacon Bap destination open :)

hegemon88
4th Jul 2013, 19:26
I am planning to go to IoW shortly and as a 100+ hour PPL I was planning to choose between Bembridge and Sandown based on the wind direction to make things easy :-)))))) But after reading this thread I think I'll go for Sandown even in a 15kt crosswind. There seems to be enough grass on either side of the runway :D

Unfortunately at the moment there is no avgas available on the Island, though it is available at nearby Lee on Solent.

I am a complete ignorant in the matters of running an airfield but would that (http://www.flyer.co.uk/aviation-news/newsfeed.php?artnum=1576) be an option? (see end of this short article)

Cheers,

H88

Mike Cross
5th Jul 2013, 07:09
I suspect that one of the issues is that short stretch of water that costs so much to cross by ferry. It takes at least an hour each way including check in and loading time and then prob at least 45 mins each way from the ferry to Sandown. Add in say another 45 mins for unloading and you have a minimum of 4 Hrs 15 plus ferry costs to make a single delivery, not counting the time to get to and from the mainland ferry port. That's a significant overhead that would push the cost up compared with mainland costs and who would uplift fuel if it was cheaper on the mainland?

mikehallam
5th Jul 2013, 09:55
Morrisons petrol station is said to be only a short walk away.

The lighter a/c end of our brethren take a can (even a shopping trolley ?) and get their MoGas there.

Unfortunately yesterday the pile up of sea/coastal murk defeated me over Portsmouth on my way to Sandown and pushed down to 1000 ft I returned to sunny Sussex !

mike hallam.

Fieldhawk
5th Jul 2013, 12:52
Yes, Morrisons is only a short walk away. If you need help to get there and back, just smile and surely someone will help you. I will if I am there.

Efforts are in hand to get Avgas at Sandown, and at competitive rates. Meanwhile supplies are available at Lee-on-Solent (by appointment) or Goodwood.

OK then, good weather forecast - Carla's Bacon Baps are on the menu. Only available at Sandown. Be there!

panther618
14th Jul 2013, 21:42
Hi Everyone

Can anyone enlighten me if Sandown is open, any contact details?

Thanks

Mark

Jodelman
15th Jul 2013, 07:55
See Post 27 above.

Open and wonderful, as usual.

Fieldhawk
12th Aug 2013, 10:36
PLEASE:

For the sanity of the poor person who has been allocated the telephone number previously used by Sandown Airport (ending ...125), please note that the correct number is:

+44 (0) 1983 716 926

This number has only been introduced in the past few months, so please check anything that may have the wrong number

Thanks

G-Atlast
20th Aug 2013, 19:57
:)The new clubhouse/cafe at Sandown is now operational! All Carla's usual delicious offerings available, with the added benefit of somewhere to sit inside should the current sunny weather take a turn for the worse. Once the temporary 'burger wagon' cafe is removed there will be good views of the airfield as well. Look forward to seeing you there!

rans6andrew
28th Aug 2013, 21:25
a bunch of us went into Sandown today, it was just the way you want a grass airfield to be. Busy but not too busy. Carla's cafe was doing a steady trade and service was quick, prices good. They still don't seem to have fuel but that is not a problem for us, we can do the round trip from Brimpton with good reserves. The runway is a bit bumpy and hard as concrete but given the weather recently it is to be expected.

A good place to chill on a weekday afternoon.

Rans6..........

Fieldhawk
10th Sep 2013, 17:49
Good news: The website for Sandown Airport has just been updated.

www.eghn.org.uk (http://www.eghn.org.uk)

This is now the official website for the airfield so, now that have read it, why not come to the Isle of Wight to see for yourself.

See you soon!

thing
10th Sep 2013, 17:58
we can do the round trip from Brimpton with good reserves.

Just looked up Brimpton, interesting location! Is it worth dropping in, local pubs etc? Years since I've been to the IOW, must give it a go, glad to see Sandown is hanging in there.

Fieldhawk
5th Oct 2013, 11:21
Saturday 19 October 2013 will see the official opening of CJ's (Carla's) Café at Sandown Isle of Wight Airport. The Opening ceremony will be performed by Mary Ellis, of ATA fame, at 1100hrs local. Everyone is invited so why not be there as well.

Details can be seen on the Events page of the airport website at www.eghn.org.uk (http://www.eghn.org.uk).

So, see you there. Where? Sandown Isle of Wight of course. No excuses please.

Fieldhawk
4th Nov 2013, 13:28
Please see the Isle of Wight, Sandown, website eghn.org.uk for regular updates including the airfield status, the report on the official opening of Carla's Café and the current news regarding the provision of fuel. And not forgetting the newly installed webcam.

Carla has now introduced a new full menu and all are welcome to sample the fine food available.

See you there!!