PDA

View Full Version : Aeronautical Engineering courses

nosefirsteverytime
30th Apr 2002, 20:35
Well, I've finally been asked by the sausage machine educational system to think about what college courses I want to do, and as Aero engineering is the only thing on the CAO form that interests me, that's what I'm putting down. However, there's a snag. There's only two AE courses on the Irish isle, One in Limerick and one in Belfast. If I want more choice, I must go to the UK. I've looked them up, and I see 150 courses, pretty much covering all major cities. So, if I do end up going to the UK, then that means it's a matter of choosing which city I'd like to spend a few years in (and, of course, the quality of the course)

However, I've been told that if I got an MEng from Uni of Limerick's AE course, then that'd hold more weight than a UK MEng (all this stuff about Concorde being tested at Shannon).

So, my current line of thinking is this: Limerick as 1st choice, but put down a few UK courses in case Limerick has no space. Belfast goes on the list, but now I've to choose between London, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Glasgow, or Farnborough.

Can anyone recommend uni in one city over another? As far as I can see, all these courses are the same, so I'm basing my UK course decision on quality of uni life.

Have I gone seriously wrong in my chain-of-thought?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

sickBocks
30th Apr 2002, 21:23
London - best city in the World
Manchester/Leeds/Liverpool/Glasgow - all vibrant social towns.
Farnborough - no nightlife, not alot of places to escape to. I'd put Bristol on your list if you can (big enough to find things to do, small enough to see the edge.) I know this is from a social standpoint - just highlighting outside the box.

Bristol's reputation very good for all things Aero (Concorde among other greats was born up the road).

sB

Dan Dare
30th Apr 2002, 21:37
Agree with the above, EXCEPT, London is expensive even on my salary 10 years after graduation. Salford had good reputation, but not too near the night life. Manchester probably has good life, reputation and economy though. If money no object (nor qualifications) look at London City Uni, Oxbridge. Bath always used to do Aero Eng PLUS languages which I now believe to be a good combination. Bristol probably good, but I have no direct expeience of that course.

Good luck with the decission

Awyrennwr
30th Apr 2002, 21:46
Worth checking out Coventry, great student social lifle, used to be a dive years back, but is now a great little city.
I would say that Southampton is an absaloute must to consider for aerospace, top uni, used by the military for aero enginnering cadets, great city, brilliant night life.
The courses are all much of a muchness especially if you want to be a pilot.
I think you are right to look at the quality of life. Your social life whilst at uni will probably have an positive impact on your results.
Good luck.

Kempus
30th Apr 2002, 22:10
Hi there folks,

You seem to have missed out the college i went too!

Perth! Part of the uni of the Highlands and Islands Group.

The training is done at Perth airport in Scone at a place called Air Service Training. Never Heard of it? This is where the likes of British Airways, British Midland, Aer Lingus, Malaysian Air, Bristow Heli to name but a few send their apprenticies for the first two years of their training towards their JAR 66 licence.

If it social life that your after well your a bit out of Perth itself but it does have some good bars and clubs in the city centre and some nice totty! ;)

The College where you do your core modules was at the start of a revamp when i done my course (grad 2000) but are aiming to get degree cert soon for the course.

Ok your asking but what's the clincher?!!!

No tution fees!!!!

Check out! Need any more info e-mail me!

Stu

Lucifer
30th Apr 2002, 22:36
It will have tuition fees if and when it becomes a degree course. Established academic institutions are I think better suited here. Southampton and Bristol should certainly be included in your list, as said above.

It's quality of teaching that matters, not necessarily where Concorde was tested, so results of QAA tests and the like would be what I would be looking for in the UK (www.qaa.ac.uk). Certainly Limerick may be great, but did they tell you that or was it independent information?

Edit: having said that, it appears that the QAA have not yet got around to reviewing aero eng, but it may be worth checking at a later date.

scroggs
1st May 2002, 10:17
This topic has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the Wannabes criteria of obtaining commercial flying licences or a first flying job. Therefor I will move it to Questions.

Genghis the Engineer
1st May 2002, 15:50
There's another topic, also here on questions that is worth reading.

In the meantime, could I suggest two things...

(1) Aero Eng is a VERY broad church, what variation are you interested in at the end your degree. Some of us here might be able to steer you better.

(2) Post the question to Engineers and technicians.

G

nosefirsteverytime
1st May 2002, 17:43
Scroggs: sorry bout this, will steer clear of Wannas anymore :D

Genghis: 1: I'm not sure, but maybe the design of large cargo planes or STOL bush planes. 2:Good idea, will move the post over!

Jude
1st May 2002, 18:00
As an aero/astro grad all i can say is look around, ensure the course is accredited by the Royal Aero Society( on behalf of the Engineering council). Aero Eng is hard work but if you really want to do it stick at it. The first two years are more to do with applied maths than flying. Chose which course suits your needs then look at the town/city, all unis tend to have a good social life, but not all have a UAS, which may be of interest, but be aware spending all your time flying wont get you a degree!:rolleyes:

MikeSamuel
1st May 2002, 18:44
Worth checking out Coventry, great student social lifle, used to be a dive years back, but is now a great little city.

Oh dear, oh dear... :D

Red Spitfire Driver
2nd May 2002, 09:51
My son at Loughborough.

Seems to enjoy it there - plenty of cheap beer.

Check it out.

Cheers

JT8
2nd May 2002, 18:00
Pick one from:

Imperial
Loughborough
Southampton
Bristol

You won't go far wrong! :)

Propellerhead
3rd May 2002, 21:34
Can recommend Salford, especially as they do an aeronautical systems engineering course. This is more relevent to a pilot, as aerodynamics are replace in the 2nd year and beyond with systems eg) avionics, IRS, Hydraulics, GPS etc.

Actually closer to city centre than man. uni! but transport links not nearly as good. Manchester a great city - 50 000 students can't be wrong!!