PDA

View Full Version : Birds on final approach

1jz
22nd Jun 2013, 00:24
If one is flying a big machine Like a 747 n down on the approach path there are individual birds along way then, how do you avoid or what actions are advisable. I guess maintaining alt can be helpful, spooling engines down to avoid greater damage in case of ingestion. What else?

bubbers44
22nd Jun 2013, 00:37
I flew into the most big bird infested area into Tegucigalpa, Honduras and you just don't hit them. Turn, pull up or what ever you have to do but going around is a lot better than sucking a bird into an engine. I have never had to go around but have avoided birds to the point a go around was much better than sucking a bird into an engine.

Intruder
22nd Jun 2013, 02:19
Just fly the airplane like the birds aren't there. You cannot predict their flight path when they get close to the airplane, so trying to jink may just put you back into a collision situation. Besides, most small birds cause minimal damage if hit.

The only general exception I can think of is if you spot a large flock that is far enough away that you can do a missed approach over and/or around them. Those situations are not common, though...

de facto
22nd Jun 2013, 04:04
Id go with bubbers on this one.
The only general exception I can think of is if you spot a large flock that is far enough away that you can do a missed approach over and/or around them. Those situations are not common, though...
Well I aint that old and already happened to me.

1jz
22nd Jun 2013, 06:05
What I have practically applied n it helped was to reduce descent as much as possible n some birds tend to dive n get out of the way themselves. But, a huge airliner would not be able to continue with a stabilized approach if descent path is not maintained.

Lord Spandex Masher
22nd Jun 2013, 06:29
Really, you'd rather hit a bird at go around power and then maybe have to divert or land single engine after flying a circuit, or the full missed approach, with how ever much damage than just...land?!

exeng
22nd Jun 2013, 16:31
Most of the time you don't time you don't see single birds until it is too late - bit like the one you end up marrying really!!

Regards
Exeng