PDA

View Full Version : Ariana Hijack to STN

steamchicken
30th Apr 2002, 17:37
On Aircrew Notices (Misc) a few days ago the situation of Ariana Afghan Airlines was discussed in the light of an interview with their boss, who mentioned that he currently had 1 aircraft and 1600 employees. The planes that survived the Civil War were mostly destroyed by the US air raids.

A couple of years ago an Ariana B727 was hijacked to STN from a flight between Kabul and Mazar-i-Sharif (this was some time after Ariana had given up their last international flight.) There, the hijackers, pax, and crew all requested political asylum and gave up the plane quietly. Most of them either got asylum or ELR (exceptional leave to remain). What became of the aircraft?
Was it forfeited against debts, perhaps? As I recall, it had various tech problems on the way. Is it sitting somewhere still - will they now get it back?
As no joy on the other topic, I thought I'd put it up as a Question.

Sharjah Night Shift
30th Apr 2002, 18:13
It was their only 727-200 YA-FAW. A few weeks after it's return from Stansted it appeared on one of their regular flights with about 20 pilots to Sharjah.

Their other two 727s both 100 series were destroyed in recent bombing leaving only YA-FAW airworthy.

steamchicken
30th Apr 2002, 22:31
Thanks

Hand Solo
30th Apr 2002, 23:52
Several months ago there was an Ariana 727 parked on the ramp at Dusseldorf airport for a few days. Was this the same aircraft?