PDA

View Full Version : Rod Lynch Joins Royal Brunei as CEO

Ttree Ttrimmer
30th Apr 2002, 17:20
Rod Lynch of Air Europe and Olympic fame has Joined RBA as CEO. A glowing portfollio, I am sure you will all agree. Any stories about what went on when he joined those outfits wouldn't go amiss so we know what to expect here. Amusing anecdotes would be good too for telling around the crew room and possibly asking him about personally if he deems himself worthy of mixing with the rank and file.

Have heard he went into his previous postings with guns blazing only to be sent packing with his tail between his legs. Please tell us all more.

Colonel Klink
30th Apr 2002, 18:21
Ah, yes, Rod Lynch!! I remember talking to him about Air Europe once on a Wednesday, he came into the flight deck of the F100 I was flying between Paris/CDG and LGW and personally assured both crew that Air Europe had got over the worst and could look forward to a bright future now that the Gulf War was over and things were getting back to normal. By Friday, I was signing for the dole at the Gatwick employment office!!
I spent seven months unemployed largely due to that mans incompetence, he is the last thing RBA need. On the other hand, he could be an improvement!!!!

Woodman
30th Apr 2002, 18:28
He was a board member of the CAA and the MD of part of the BBC - Resources, I think it was called. Wasn't he last involved with that all first class outfit that didn't happen at Stansted?

Viscount
30th Apr 2002, 18:50
Memory suggests CEO of GSS (Atlas dry lease to BAWC?) and CEO of VisitScotland (formerly Scottish Tourist Board) for about 7 days.

Lou Scannon
30th Apr 2002, 19:10
Having seen him at close hand with Air Europe, read about him when he managed to get a job with the BBC and heard about his working with Olympic, I can but offer RBA the hope that no man can be unlucky all his life and that, perhaps, his fortunes are on the up.

Puritan
30th Apr 2002, 20:48
I also remember RodL from when he joined AE.

In his early days there (and from memory) he was initially consigned to a restriction that prevented him from being allowed to operate from within the main AE (UK) HQ in the 'Manor Royal / Churchill Court' offices, courtesy of a six month(?) restraint order - imposed as part of his previous contract as Director of Ground Services (or some such) for BA; Indeed it was muted at the time that he would have to operate from a porta-cabin in the grounds of Churchill Court – I don’t believe that it ever happened as such though.

Now, given the (since proven) ‘dirty tricks’ that were being waged by BA at the time, e.g. against Dick Branson & Virgin Atlantic, it was with no surprise the Harry Goodman (he of ILG/AE fame – amongst others) found that his Bentley and the ILG / AE executive boardroom were found to be electronically bugged – but just who did it was never fully ascertained. ;)
Of course, the fact that AE (and DanAir) were at that time causing BA a massive hemorrhage in their European short haul demand could be, and was, considered to be remarkably coincidental !

So, and with RodL at the helm of AE, the ILG Empire collapsed (ostensibly on March 8th 1991).

Accordingly, having left BA to join AE, seen the company into a demise, RodL (to my knowledge) then when on to have senior managerial roles in various other airline related companies – including GB (a BA franchise - shurely just a coincidence ?! ) and SpeedWing (a BA company providing airline consultancy - again just another coincidence ?! ).
Indeed, and under the SpeedWing banner, he was recently the resident CEO(?) at Olympic Airlines in Greece........ an airline in which BA were looking to obtain a major stake. :rolleyes:

Wig Wag
30th Apr 2002, 21:42
Puritan:-

I always thought that the demise of Air Europe was a stitch up. In the Autumn before I had a 'social ' call from a friend who was then a lawyer in the City. He was under the impression that the airline was to have its financial 'plug pulled' in the Spring if they 'failed to get their act together' I thought it was odd information from an odd source and kept it to myself.

Lo and behold they duly went bust. Hmmm.

I suppose that everyone was too knackered by the event to launch a fight. If BA did play a hand then, ultimately it didn't do them any good.

I sigh, aviation is such a dirty business. Aviators are great but I wouldn't cross the road to spit at some of the 'men' who run the industry.

G.Khan
1st May 2002, 00:28
Well RBA if all the above is valid stuff then you could find yourselves working for BA after all!

Best of luck, whatever happens.

mjenkinsblackdog
4th May 2002, 11:46
Any change from FOX is good for all concerned.

CapedCrewsAider
4th May 2002, 12:35
Puritan:

Just to keep the record straight Rod Lynch has never been associated with GB Airways in any capacity. We have had our share of reject BA commercial managers in our time, he is not one of them.

Viscount Sussex
4th May 2002, 14:17
Puritan
If my memory serves me right, you are 99.99% right.
:)

Ttree Ttrimmer
4th May 2002, 14:54
Mjenkinsblackdog

I think you will find FOX was only ever Director of Flight Ops, a non board post. RL is coming here with a view to be CEO. A slightly different position.

Anyway, what axe are you grinding? Did he turn you down for a job in the past or something?

:confused:

mjenkinsblackdog
4th May 2002, 15:34
Ttree .Already been and gone laddy.

B772
6th May 2002, 07:15
Does Rod Lynch have a moustache ?.

Ttree Ttrimmer
6th May 2002, 14:42
He certainly does. A search on his name in any search engine will bring up several stories and pictures of him.

gofer
6th May 2002, 15:11
Is this (http://www.firstfoot.co.uk/News/news2001/rodlynch.htm) the fella ??

My personal test is to ask myself if I'd buy a used car from a candidate - Sorry Brunei not flying you for a little while and my guess would be you won't be in a state to carry me when my decision criteria are changed. Shame though
:D

icarus1623
7th May 2002, 17:25
There's many a slip twixt cup and lip - he is NOT appointed.

DICKUS
8th May 2002, 04:54
If RL has not been appointed, is it of his choice, or someone else's?
How long can a UK CAA Airline operate without any AOC holder?

Bus429
8th May 2002, 07:14
Dickus,
I don't understand "How long can a UK airline last without an AOC holder?".

The current ED has not yet left his post. Nothing has happened here (yet) to justify the suspension of the AOC.

Anti-ice
8th May 2002, 10:56
Good post Puritan , I and many other of your ex-colleagues at Air Europe would love to know what really happened there,as it was an airline of great innovation and promise.

It's rapid expansion at the wrong time was an obvious factor in it's demise, but it was very popular and ahead of it's time.

It seems higly coincidental that RL was ex-ba and that the dirty tricks campaign was in full swing at the time:eek:

Bus429
8th May 2002, 12:07
Should we not tread carefully here? Are you alleging or accusing?
Don't forget Danny could cop it legally if we don't watch what we write!:confused:

DICKUS
8th May 2002, 23:13
A sad fact of all the recent events within RBA, is that the company has not communicated any information to the employees at any time. The only source of information is the local newspaper which is awaited avidly to discover what new twist has befallen the company.
The last CEO resigned on the 19th April, and as far as I know there has been no-one to stand-in for him. The Chief Pilot's position has been empty since 1st April. According to the Company Ops manual, the 'Accountable Manager' was the person who resigned on the 19th April.

uaecamel
9th May 2002, 07:40
From what I have heard the standards of saftey have slipped a long way. and that even SFO's who at one time were never concidered are now in command. What is going to happen when the Senior Capt's start to leave. Any comments from those still there?

slingsby
9th May 2002, 09:39
uaecamel,
That's a bit low even for one who was an SFO here with us. Safety standards have slipped have they?, well present your evidence to back this statement up. Yes I admit some SFO's have been recently promoted, but through merit, hard work and on the back on some very intensive training.

No real hard information has yet to come from the company, there is still no official line, only that of the local newspapers.
Two chaps seen in Brunei lately, one is Rod Lynch and the other is Terry Liddiard (ex Manx). Maybe they are part of a bigger team but no one seems to know YET.:confused:

G.Khan
9th May 2002, 09:49
Quite possible that they are just there as free lance consultants, being paid to give advice, then they will go away?