PDA

View Full Version : Gar online

martello
11th Jun 2013, 22:04
I noticed there was a small thread re the new UKbf gar online (since 8th April)
On rotor heads forum
Worth publicizing it here

actually the project has been a closely kept AOPA secret for several years. There's been several attempts from on high to ditch th GAR and revert to entering via a designated port. AOPA (or a few of us foot soldiers) decided to prove the GAR system could work in 21st century. So far we're succeeding. The various apps are not perfect but doing the job. You can go to AOPA.co.uk or goav8.net where you can download a non browser version from the latter site which will save and recall previously sent GARs There is an Android app on play store which saves everything and you can add crew from your contacts. Ditto now on Apple AppStore but it is as someone said an iPhone app so you must search for uk border force ga report in iPhone apps - works fine on iPad. Still evolving but easy to use. Take no notice of one idiot review which says 'backspace deletes evérything' it doesn't but we live in the instantaneous twit generation.
As always with aviation and forums like this there are those who say pooh its rubbish. But it is a free resource courtesy of AOPA volunteers and is improving all the time

Oh and BTW when you send a gar using this system it is directed in seconds to the appropriate office INcluding police... So it is a one stop shop. That does not apply to sending a gar via email or any other so called online form including some police sites!

As some will know there is an active thread on another forum with lots of argument but I thought it worth publicizing it here -at the risk of sticking one's head in lion's mouth!!
Before you rubbish or get political about why we not the yachties have to jump through such hoops, just contemplate that the online system is a minor improvement for a huge amount of private work.

Piper.Classique
12th Jun 2013, 04:37
I used it last trip to the UK. I suppose it worked, no-one turned up to arrest me. The hard part of the trip was filing the flight plan to return home with Olivia down and no Afpex account. I ended up phoning it to Bordeaux.

overandout
12th Jun 2013, 08:39
Thread drift already!
Try using Rocket Route for filing. Dead easy asd quick from Ipad or Iphone

Piper.Classique
12th Jun 2013, 09:29
Still need an afpex account though, don't you? I live in France and normally use Olivia, which is free and very easy to use from ipad.
Only the sever was down, is all.

piperarcher
12th Jun 2013, 11:41
It's a good idea and I actively encourage anything to be online, but for the few trips I have done recently, one using a PC, and the other using the iPad (well iPhone) app, I found it to be quite 'clunky' and not really much quicker than re-using one of my old forms. Hopefully one of those systems that will mature over time though :-)

Maoraigh1
12th Jun 2013, 20:14
I've downloaded the free Home Office Android app, but have not used it. I'm looking to got to Eire, which I haven't done for years. The app has a flight plan option as well as the GAR. I'd welcome any information from those who have used them both.

A and C
13th Jun 2013, 05:41
Can someone please post a link to the iPad app for this that is mentioned above, I can't find it !

stevelup
13th Jun 2013, 06:50
Link (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/uk-border-force-gar/id643367404?mt=8)

A and C
13th Jun 2013, 07:04
Thank you.........steve

RomeoZulu
22nd Jun 2013, 10:43
Can somebody please show a link to the Android App store. Maybe it is me but I cannot find it and believe me I have tried.

Alan

stevelup
22nd Jun 2013, 16:59
Try This (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.murray.Agar14)