PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Hire - Touring

mr_rodge
4th Jun 2013, 11:10
Morning all,

Finally getting back on the horse after much torment and indecision (Not flown since September last year, but now have a bit of cash and girlfriend approval!).

I called my regular club (Full Sutton) today to book a flight with my regular instructor and was gutted to hear that my favourite hire aircraft has been withdrawn from the club fleet due to the owner being fed up of us low hour PPLs pranging it. Fair enough, I did take off in it with the filler cap off one of the wings last year (found it in the end, after walking the taxiway and runways. I won't be making that mistake again!), so I guess I fit into the stereotype of low houred PPLs being much higher risk flyers than seasoned veterans. I also saw it skidded off the end of the runway recently and had the nose gear practically ripped off, so I guess that must have been the last straw.

It was a Warrior, which I did my IMC in and hired for day trips. I like to hire planes for full days, to go a bit further afield and see places that I wouldn't necessarily go to in the car. The club still has one Warrior, a Cherokee and a C150 left, but previous experience tells me the Warrior will get booked up, and the 150 & Cherokee don't have IFR gear, which I'd be more comfortable having.

I'm going to give York Flying school at Breighton a call as they have a C172. Does anyone have any experience with them? How is their availability etc? Their club membership is very cheap, so I'd be able to keep both club memberships going and book whichever aircraft is available. Or, is there anywhere else roughly in the middle between Scarborough and Barnsley (depending on where I'm staying, travel time roughly the same from either place) with aircraft that fit my needs?

I looked at Sherburn but was put off as I was told it's a bit more commercial and less laid back, with a strict 6 week currency 'At Sherburn' requirement. If I fly for 3 months from Full Sutton and then want to fly from Sherburn, they apparently won't allow me to without having a check ride first. It sounds awful, but I'm not looking for a place full of wannabe airline pilots climbing over each other to get an hour on an aircraft, I much prefer a clubhouse full of seasoned, relaxed GA pilots sat around having a chat about where they've been in the day, and are willing to share their wealth of knowledge or even jump in a plane with the odd one or two rookies, like me.

I realise shared ownership is probably more suited to my requirements, but for the hours I'll fly (30/yr max) and the urge to go to NI/IOM/France etc as part of my day trips with the better half I don't think it'll be worth the brass for me. Permit aircraft shares would be a maybe, but then there's the whole restriction on overseas/IFR etc. What would you do?

Sorry for the long post, can't wait to get back in the air! Thanks for reading.

Mickey Kaye
4th Jun 2013, 15:32
PM Sent

Mickey

andypandy007
10th Jun 2013, 12:34
York Flying School all day long. Breighton is a very friendly place and Mickey is a gentleman

loaded as a dice
10th Jun 2013, 15:08
Hi mate, that's a poor impression you've been given of Sherburn , I'm a member there and if you pm me ill show you around and see for yourself.