PDA

View Full Version : FAA PPL to EASA PPL

EGKR1
31st May 2013, 17:16
Hello all!

Sorry if this question has cropped up before, however I am perplexed by all of the new EASA regulations surrounding the conversion of a FAA PPL to an EASA/JAA PPL.

I'm thinking about doing my PPL in Flordia next summer, however this will be after the new EASA rules take place in April 2014. If I return to the UK with an FAA PPL, what steps will I need to take to be able to fly around the UK? From what I understand I will have to undergo another 25 hours under instruction and take the EASA theory exams. Can someone confirm this please?
The dream is to become a commercial pilot, so obviously I would need to build on this license.
I would really appreciate some help on this. :)

Cheers

custardpsc
1st Jun 2013, 22:33
Start off by having a search on here and by reading the stickies, some of them cover this particular question and there are plenty of general faa licencing threads, also get a copy of cap804 from the uk caa website. That will get you started on dealing with the complexities but the short answer is that whilst the training in the usa is countable in theory for the uk/easa in practice you are going to be doing the uk stuff nearly from scratch if you want a uk licence, or you can fly day vfr on your faa ppl although that privilege sounds like its days are numbered

isi3000
2nd Jun 2013, 17:20
If you've decided to go to Florida, why don't you just get an EASA PPL done over there? It makes more sense than getting an FAA PPL then needing to convert so that you can fly in the UK.