PDA

View Full Version : Carriage of Lithium ion Batteries

Jetset320
30th May 2013, 11:47
Lithium ion batteries are dangerous goods. I am therefore not undertanding why IATA DGRs have table 9.5.A which lists Lithium Ion Batteries as "Dangerous goods not required on the information to pilot-in-command (9.5.1.1.3.2).

With the uncertainty around this product, i cannot see why they should be 'downgraded' to the bottom section of the NOTOC.

This especially since in the latest DGR edition, IATA have added a letter "Z" to the Emergency Response Guide code for Lithium batteries, which means that fire supperessant equipment may not be able to extinguish a fire, LAND ASAP.

Dufo
2nd Jun 2013, 21:56
If you read carefully, UN3480 is required to appear on NOTOC but not other lithium UN's. Why is this so? No idea but would like to know.
Every year ICAO changes something, from gross to net limits, and illogical labelling (965 IB requiring both labes but IA only one?).

At my (purely cargo) airline we are thinking of soon banning all lithium batteries.

I personally would rather carry a box of explosives than box of crap quality unmarked batteries.