PDA

View Full Version : Shall I do my US PPL in a C172 or a PA28 Warrior

PD210
29th Apr 2002, 14:10
Hello,

I am heading out to Florida late May and want to know what people think of the two aircraft options C172 or the PA28. The reason I will be flying one of those two is that I am 6ft 3 and a bit and a smidgin over 14 stone. Both aircraft are used at my local UK clubs.

So what do people think??

Cheers

The Greaser
29th Apr 2002, 14:56
Having taught students in both types, I would say that most people enjoy the PA28 more than the 172. Both have pros and cons, which I'm sure others will talk about but in my opinion the Piper is the superior beast.

Land After
29th Apr 2002, 15:15
I happily fly either and did so during my PPL training. There seems to me to be marginally more room in the 172, but the PA28 has much better viz in the circuit thanks to the lower wing.

Sit in both and see which one you feel more at home in.

That said, I think this subject has been done to death many times over. Try a search or a look in the Archives.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th Apr 2002, 16:30
PD210,

The PA-28 is an easier plane to learn to fly on. With the PA-28 you will have a higher leaning curve that the C-172.

Reasons:

Landing
1) It is a heavier aircraft
2) It will get into Ground Effect sooner

Stalls
1) More docile stall
2) Wing will stay level in a stall

Once you have your licence and a good feel for flying, you will not see a difference in the aircraft flying wise, but while learning the reasons listed above will make your flight training progress at a greater pace.

Good Luck,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

P.S. Now if you were to ask my wife, she would tell you the C-152 is the best aircraft for training bar none. (I guess we disagree because I am over a foot taller than she is) :)

PD210
29th Apr 2002, 16:41
Dear all,

Thanks for all your help and advice. Think I might be going for the PA28.

Cheers

PD210

MAJIC9
29th Apr 2002, 16:49
You won't go wrong with either. I did it in a 172, but then got checked out in an Archer later. Both have their pro's and con's..

As Richard said, Piper's stalls are really docile, whereas a 172 can turn it into a more "fun" experience (esp. power-on).

I personally got spoiled by having the "Both" position on the 172's fuel selector.. but that's really not a a big deal that'd tip the scales to one side.

Whichever one you choose (try both, at least by sitting in 'em), I would recommend getting checked out in the other. It's nice to fly both and see the differences yourself. All in all, they're both nice and fun to fly planes.

Circuit Basher
30th Apr 2002, 12:31
Just a minor point, but ISTR that in the cruise, you're supposed to not leave the C172 fuel selector in the 'Both' position, which I believe is associated with problems of uneven fuel usage OR sucking in air when one tank runs dry.

Anyone remember why this is so??

I did first 25 hrs of training in a C172, then 20 hrs mixed between C152 and PA28, then another 70 or so hrs in a PA28 (with around 15 hrs C172 / C152 just to balance it out!).

For ease of landing, I prefer the PA28; for cabin space / passenger photo platform, I prefer C172.

I don't prefer the C152 for anything except economy (and it drops a wing in a power on stall!) ;)

Speedbird056
30th Apr 2002, 15:25
I don't think I could add anything to whats written as the experience of others probably drawfs my own but having flown both I have say I prefer the PA28.

I have to say I learnt on the Cessna and from what I hear its one of the best aircraft to learn on - those things are virtually indestructable. The PA28 is also not cleared for spinning. PA28 is also much nicer to land. If your a novice and have only flown the C150s just make sure you keep an eye on your fuel, although if you learn to fly on the PA28 you shouldn't forget this.

Which ever you choose enjoy your flying.

FlyingForFun
30th Apr 2002, 15:29
Speedbird,

Some PA28s can be spun. PA28-140s can. PA28-161s can't. Check your POH! :)

FFF
-------------

Tinstaafl
30th Apr 2002, 15:51
My vote goes for the C172. I like that ground features don't disappear under the wing and the high wing provides some shade. The legroom is good.

Under normal conditions there is no fuel selector limitation in any C172 I've flown that requires 'L-only' or 'R-only' to be used instead of 'Both'

There are times when 'Both' is specified eg T/O & Landing.

Dan Winterland
30th Apr 2002, 18:57
I'm with Greaser. I have instructed in both, from the instructor's point of view, the PA28 is better. Not as stable as the 172 therefore teaches you to fly, better vis, you have to fly the landing rather than the 172 which does more seem to land itself (better training value IMHO), and the stall teach is definately better in the PA28 - as it is more controllable. The stall is more benign, but ince you are in one, the point has been made - the recovery is the same anyway.

englishal
30th Apr 2002, 19:43
C172 is probably better to learn in as it is a little more twitchy than the PA28 (wing drop in the stall etc), which is better for training. You can also do spin training in most 172's if lightly loaded, not much fuel etc. PA28 seems bit too docile, you can stall it and hold it in the stall for ages (depending on height of course!) easily using rudder. PA28 is also more forgiving in dodgey landings, due to its 3 oleos, the 172 lets you know when you came down a bit hard. Better to learn in the 172 and then fly the PA28 when you get your licence IMHO. I prefer the PA28, but the C172 is an excellent aircraft to learn in.

I was always told to LEAVE the 172 fuel selector in the 'both' position, and always have. One good feature of the PA28 is you can't leave the FS in the Both position...as it doesn't have one....so when the engine coughs and splutters, you know you have half your fuel remaining ;)

Cheers
EA

Final 3 Greens
3rd May 2002, 19:26
Both are good aircraft.

Personally I would make the choice of school first and then go with what they use.

Land After
3rd May 2002, 20:52
Final 3 Greens

Excellent Point!!

No point in picking an aircraft if you're unhappy with the contents of the right hand seat!