PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Procedures - Departure

kingmomo
29th May 2013, 05:11
hello all
well im a studient pilot at the moment , i have came to a chapter in Airlaw ATPL book , that i really dont understand
which is (Instrument Procedures - Departure )

i just dont get it , what is SID points (standard instrument departure) and i have looked over the internet , it got something to do with the Flight managment computer FMC ,

thx ,
hope i get an answer :)

mad_jock
29th May 2013, 07:28
its just points on a departure which we have to fly through while flying from an airport.

You don't need any fancy kit to do it with they can all be radio aids and intersections or distances.

MarkerInbound
29th May 2013, 08:12
SIDs (and STARs) are mainly used at bigger airports. If a normal departure is to go direct to "A" then "B" then "C", crossing "C" at 3000 feet and then going direct to "D" and crossing "D" at 5000 feet and departure control will be on 123.75, ATC can publish all that and call it the Apple1 departure. Then all they have to say is, "You are cleared the Apple1."

kingmomo
29th May 2013, 09:33
so its more like a way point , when at point a you increase altitude , point b you turn heading ..., correct me if im wrong , and nowdays they use VOR station to do that , so first VOR is A second VOR is B
and what is the abbreviation for STARs
Thx for the answers guy really helpfull

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
29th May 2013, 09:54
Adding to previous answers, at some larger airport the SIDs may incorporate noise abatement procedures. This may mean that the route is not the most direct after take-off.

BOAC
29th May 2013, 11:58
This may mean that the route is not the most direct after take-off. - in fact, in 99% of the cases I know of, they are not, even without Noise Abatement.:).

kingmomo
29th May 2013, 15:52
thx again
i now get it ,
----
MarkerInbound
So SID is for Departure and STARs is for approach , correct me if im wrong ,
-------
guys i have another question since you guys are talking about noise abatement
i was living in london just about 5miles from Heathrow Airport , and as you guys know Heathrow Airport is one of the most busiest airport in the world , how come i didn't hear any aircraft noises o.O

MarkerInbound
30th May 2013, 00:44
Yes, the STAR is an arrival and the SID a departure.

Yes, they're just waypoints. While traditional SIDs and STARs are based on VORs, newer procedures are based on Random Navigation (RNAV). With most large aircraft, probably most aircraft in general, having GPS or INS, the people who design the routings are no longer limited to VOR/NDB nav waypoints. The FMC knows where it is and it knows where points A, B, C and D are so it tells the pilot or autopilot what direction to fly.

cosmick251
25th Jun 2013, 16:19
RNAV = Random ... :D nice Freudian slip