PDA

View Full Version : Of course you read the NOTAMS.....

mary meagher
28th May 2013, 11:16
So the reason the screen of the ATC at Oxford looked like the Milky Way, so many gliders.....is that there are from now on a LOT of Gliding Competitions. Two are underway this week from LASHAM.

The comp will be NOTAMED. If it might concern you, contact the organisers to find what task has been set. A list of comps is on the British Gliding Association website.

Of course if it is a good soaring day, gliders may be encountered ANYWHERE!
usually under a good cumulus, going in circles, or streaking on to the next likely climb. A comp task will not be set in weather that is not soarable. (Obviously).
Soaring weather is bumpy. So fly above the cu if you can, to get a smooth ride and avoid the gliders.

mikehallam
28th May 2013, 15:20
Thanks but perhaps a rider:

Presumably it's merely advisory as in open airspace GA is free to cross or fly in it at any height or manner it fancies even if gliders are there, as one more a/c floating through should be neither here nor there !

Or does it mean glider pilots are welcome to crowd together in safety but GA is being warned off - or what ?

Always sounds a bit like being black-balled from a posh club when one sector of the aviation community appears to go beyond merely informing others of their activity & suggests they should have exclusive airspace rights.

mike hallam.

tmmorris
28th May 2013, 16:27
mikehallam,

I take your point (sort of), and I'm a powered flyer myself. But bear in mind powered ac have to give way to gliders, so they do have right of way...

Anyway I'm sure Mary is just trying to avoid collisions. Remember there was a fatal midair just south of Oxford only a couple of years ago, RAF Tutor vs glider.

Tim

Katamarino
28th May 2013, 16:54
As I read it, Mary was simply giving us a reminder that gliding season is upon us and we can easily find out where the areas of highest activity will be by checking the NOTAMs! Everyone has the right to use the airspace, but I know that given the choice, I'd rather steer clear or at least be forewarned.

ShyTorque
28th May 2013, 17:16
NOTAMS are the way to go because the BGA webpage link mentioned in the NOTAM does not lead directly to the competitions list!

I found it took me a while to find the list Mary Meagher refers to.
Seeing as the NOTAM expects pilots to go there, imho the BGA could have made efforts to make it more user friendly. A direct link to the list would have been useful, rather than trawling the site to find it!

astir 8
28th May 2013, 18:07
Remember the Grob/glider midair near Didcot in 2010?

http://www.aaib.gov.uk/cms_resources.cfm?file=/5-2010%20G-BYXR%20and%20G-CKHT.pdf

Scroll down to the diagram showing traffic through the Abingdon/Didcot airspace "pinch point"

Glider competitions can prduce similar traffic densities in other parts of the country so being aware of them can be useful

Piper.Classique
28th May 2013, 18:47
Thank you Mary.
Yes, I read the Notams
And look at the forecast.
I used to fly a tug from Lasham.
I used to instruct from Lasham. In gliders.
I still instruct in gliders
And SEP.
I EXPECT to see gliders on a 500k day, competition or not.

IT WAS A JOKE
Now mod me again, but I did use stars........

wrecker
28th May 2013, 19:37
I would like to add to Mary's comments.
There will be NOTAMS published for all the BGA competitions. ( I know because I organize them). The NOTAM will give you a contact number to enable you to find out what the intended task is for the day. It will also point you to a link to Daily Tasks (http://www.bgaladder.co.uk/showtask.asp) which should show the task on Google Earth graphically. We all l share the same airspace: let's keep it safe out there.

Crash one
28th May 2013, 20:16
Of course if it is a good soaring day, gliders may be encountered ANYWHERE!

With a fan on the front, so can most of GA.

wrecker
28th May 2013, 20:37
If you would like a to be added to a distribution list send an email to [email protected] and I will add you to the list for competition tasks set from Lasham for the remainder of the Current competition and future ones

ZuluFoxtrot
29th May 2013, 10:46
Sorry to say this but in my opinion, gliders should be banned. They are extremely difficult to see due to their highly aerodynamic airframe and in the most part white paint. These two design features make them extremely hard to spot as contrasting is nearly impossible.
I don't know why but gliders stray from their ample roaming grounds also meaning they take you by surprise. Ban them.

SpannerInTheWerks
29th May 2013, 11:37
... and cyclists too!!! :D

I'm sure more fuel is wasted by drivers having to slow down and accelerate than is ever saved by the cyclist pedalling to work!?

KR

SITW :)

Tupperware Pilot
29th May 2013, 11:53
... and cyclists too!!! :D

I'm sure more fuel is wasted by drivers having to slow down and accelerate than is ever saved by the cyclist pedalling to work!?

KR

SITW http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Hey....you live us cyclists along...I save enough petrol every month biking to work (and the airfield) to do a couple of hours in my Cub! so sort of is green??? :ok:

Crash one
29th May 2013, 12:16
Notam seems to state that gliding will take place between May & August. Derr:ugh:

tmmorris
29th May 2013, 13:13
Well, I've just filed an MOR.

Why? Because the NOTAM states that pilots are to check

Daily Tasks (http://www.bgaladder.co.uk/showtask.asp)

for details of today's flights; so I did so at 0800 local this morning, just before heading out to the airfield to fly down to Goodwood, and got the response 'No tasks found for today':

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/2339/phototls.png (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/703/phototls.png/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

NB the time on the top says 1351 as that's the time I went back to get the screenshot. In fact, this was grossly misleading and I found myself flying over Lasham while they were launching >100 gliders. Thankfully a. Farnborough were better informed; b. I was at 4000ft in IMC, in and out of cloud, and the gliders were where they belonged, below the cloudbase, as we could see in the gaps.

A refresh of the screen at 1351 showed a .kml file which opens beautifully in Google Earth and would have been rather helpful if it had been there at 0800.

I think this website did more harm than good. If I'd not been to the website I'd have kept well clear as the NOTAM did state the competition was going on. However, because the website said there were no tasks today I assumed the wx forecast had caused today's competition to be postponed which made it more dangerous, not less.

Tim

OpenCirrus619
29th May 2013, 13:30
I was at 4000ft in IMC, in and out of cloud, and the gliders were where they belonged, below the cloudbase, as we could see in the gaps.

Don't be misled into thinking that gliders won't enter the clouds - in particular where you find isolated Cu with a large distance to the next one pilots will continue the climb into the cloud.

Glider pilots will announce their entry into cloud on 130.4 - so it's worth keeping an ear open on this if you are IMC when there are likely to be gliders around.

The only equipment a glider is required to have to fly in cloud (unless it's changed in the last few years) is:
No glider shall enter cloud unless all its occupants are wearing parachutes and have been instructed in their use.

OC619

mary meagher
29th May 2013, 13:56
Amigos in spam cans and other poorly fenestrated aircraft, I truly do not believe a task was set today for Lasham comps, as cloudbase is currently given at 350 feet!!!!!

HOWEVER be warned that even if the day is scrubbed and no task is set, this does not mean that no glider flying takes place. They've got nothing else to do if the day is scrubbed, so a lot of them may take off anyway and go local soaring! Practice, practice!

tmmorris
29th May 2013, 15:51
If you look at the site now, there's a task listed.

Thinking about this later, I think what's misleading is the site is coded to put today's date at the top even when it's not been updated. If it had said 28th May at the top, I'd have realised I was too early and check it again before takeoff. Because it said 29th I believed there was no task.

I've never understood why gliders are allowed in IMC without complying with IFR. It makes a mockery of everything you learn about quadrantal rules, VFR minima &c. keeping you safe(r) in IMC OCAS.

The500man
29th May 2013, 16:09
Seems funny they have to have parachutes to fly in cloud for their own safety but they don't give a toss whether the people in the aircraft they collide with have parachutes.

Heston
29th May 2013, 16:22
Blimey! Why all the anti-glider rants folks? You should go try it before you criticise.

On gliders and the quadrantal rule - what do powered aircraft do IFR when they are climbing or descending? They surely can't fly at the defined quandrantal altitude, can they? Gliders are always either climbing or descending, they have no way of flying level...

PaulisHome
29th May 2013, 16:57
There are at least a couple of comps on at Lasham - looking at their website the Regionals scrubbed on the ground (ie didn't fly) and the Nationals launched and scrubbed in the air.

The BGA attempt to broadcast tasks seems like a good idea. The big problem is that quite often tasks aren't known until an hour or so before launch, so at 0800 the task hasn't been set.

I don't think anybody is claiming more 'rights' than anyone else to class G - merely pointing out that on good days (today is not one) the traffic density of gliders can be very high in certain places. (Above the Cu is not usually one of them!) My experience is that on good days the number of gliders I see in the places I fly outnumber powered aircraft by a factor of two or three, and that's before you have a couple of comps with 50 gliders each.

But yes, glider pilots should call before entering an ATZ. It's the law amongst other things.

Heston
29th May 2013, 18:02
I don't think anybody is claiming more 'rights' than anyone else to class G - merely pointing out that on good days (today is not one) the traffic density of gliders can be very high in certain places

Of course they aren't. I'm afraid some people seem to think that the existence of a NOTAM establishes a de facto "no-go" area. It doesn't. It doesn't change the class of airspace either. Its simply a notice of something that all users of a particular piece of airspace may need to know about.

Crash one
29th May 2013, 19:20
Glider pilots will announce their entry into cloud on 130.4 - so it's worth keeping an ear open on this if you are IMC when there are likely to be gliders around.

The only equipment a glider is required to have to fly in cloud (unless it's changed in the last few years) is:

Quote:
No glider shall enter cloud unless all its occupants are wearing parachutes and have been instructed in their use.
OC619

There seems to be a contradiction here. If the only equipment required is a parachute, they may not have a radio (functioning) to speak with.
Point two:
A pet peeve of mine is this dedicated frequency business. Not just gliders either. Microlights seem to speak to each other on 119.825? Gliders on 130.4 Para drop a/c on 119.9 and the rest of GA on various freqs depending on whether the sun is shining or not. If this dedicated freq thing is extended a bit perhaps twins would like a freq to themselves? Maybe Cessnas & Piper a freq each.
If you enter an ATZ or are about to, then you select theirs. If you are OCAS you are free to select anyone that takes your fancy, up here in Class G that could be Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leuchars Mil, Scottish Info, Safetycom or nobody. Personally I think OCAS there should be either Scottish or London info or non radio unless requested otherwise, then at least the "Info" controller would have some idea of who he can give his info to. I'm not suggesting we should be "controlled" just that we should all be singing from the same page.
Shirley if there are "Sector controllers" there should be "Sector frequencies" to match.
Comments? or Flak?

astir 8
29th May 2013, 19:25
Don't call me Shirley

mary meagher
29th May 2013, 19:34
Tim and others who are puzzled by the BGA presentation of tasks on their website, the poor dears are doing their best! It is rather the same as herding cats, or trying to fit a large pillow into a very small pillowcase....orderly presentation at eight am on the BGA website of the tasks set for a day as compared to what actually takes place MUST be taken with a certain uncertainty.

There is are two classes of competition being run at Lasham this 9 day period. Nearly 100 gliders will take part. After the weather gurus have consulted their rhunes, tephigrams, flow charts and looked out the window, they then present their best forecasts to the tasksetters. Who will choose not just one task, but Task A, Task B, and Task C, for each of the two classes; if it turns out worse than forecast, they fall back appropriately, or indeed launch and then scrub when the gliders are airborne but nobody has started yet.

How anyone can hope to clearly state on a BGA website at 8 in the morning what task they will actually fly, if any, I sure wouldn't count on it. Although gliders in the UK are permitted to fly above cloud (if they can get there!) it is certainly a NO NO before the start of the comp, and also within a certain radius, and usually cloud flying is only practiced by guys whose other job is usually in the pointy end of something a lot bigger and a lot noiser. So they are exceedingly careful, usually IR, with bells and whistles in the cockpit, Flarm, tecas, and all sorts.

As for fumo in flammen's justified rant about some gliders violating airspace, or exhibiting contempt for ATZ's, I've seen it myself from time to time. I've also seen very brave spamcan drivers noodle across our winching activities.
There are a lot of geriatrics or idiots flying every sort of machine. The only real protection we all have is a VERY GOOD LOOKOUT.

Was it back in 1990's or so that they started to make us all hand in data loggers after flying a comp? and woe to the pilot who had busted ANY sort of airspace. There is no hiding place any more for glider pilots taking part in competition. They will be done, heavily penalised, publicly rebuked, and disqualified if they do it again, which usually works....it did for me, anyhow.

znww5
29th May 2013, 20:28
Whilst I appreciate the BGA's efforts in trying to provide more information to the wider GA community, I can't see any practical advantage unless the extra information can be available within a realistic time frame ie first thing in the morning - and I do understand why this is not possible.

A typical GA pilot will check NOTAMs and phone the AIS info line before they set off; being directed to a web site which may or may not have further info about several different routes, which in turn may or may not be used, actually makes matters worse in my view.

The whole point of the NOTAM system must surely be that relevant information is pulled together in one place, not dispersed to a variety of web sites which may or may not be up to date. Sometimes simple is better!

ShyTorque
29th May 2013, 21:48
The whole point of the NOTAM system must surely be that relevant information is pulled together in one place, not dispersed to a variety of web sites which may or may not be up to date. Sometimes simple is better!

Agreed and this was the gist of my earlier post. :)

BackPacker
29th May 2013, 22:34
Does the BGA, or the task setter, also communicate the actual task, and any updates to the task, to the regional FIS provider, and to any nearby fields which may be affected? I remember a flight in Germany where the FIS controller noted that my intended routing and altitude would take me straight through a task route and warned me about that. So I was able to climb above the first layer of CU and that kept me well clear.

tmmorris
30th May 2013, 09:09
I'm not sure i have the answer to this, but I think gliding is a bit like alcohol (and no, I don't mean addictive, though Mary may differ!). If it was invented now, it wouldn't be allowed - or at least a lot of the things we accept because they've always happened, like gliders in cloud without complying with IFR, and massive multiple launches without proper NOTAMs (I.e. without a NOTAM which is specific about the location, numbers, routes) wouldn't be. Gliders are even allowed in class A airspace with prior agreement, where I am most definitely not welcome without an IR.

I do understand the difficulty of specifying the task until the wx is known, but I am also baffled by the use of discrete frequencies. Why on earth wouldn't gliders entering cloud above Lasham announce this to Farnborough? It's as though the assumption is the only other people around are other gliders. Farnborough were blissfully unaware that the day's task had been abandoned and were clearly only going from the NOTAM, information they and I had before I took off.

Tim

Cows getting bigger
30th May 2013, 09:22
I see the BGA NOTAMs as being no different to those we get about military exercises - be aware, something slightly different is going on.

All the other stuff is sort of valid in that we all have to share the sky. Yes, it would be nice for gliders to carry strobes, Mode S etc and, personally, I get the heebie-jeebies thinking about 'invisible' aircraft operating in the same cloud I may be in. This is all about personal risk mitigation and we should adjust accordingly. Personally, I wouldn't be cloud-hopping if I knew a competition was taking place.

PS. I flew a Twinstar to the East of Bicester the other day and was being overtaken by a glider. :eek:

OpenCirrus619
30th May 2013, 09:57
Tolerance at it's best. I don't understand the animosity between different users of the same space - examples where it works well are:

Motorists on Cyclists: Cyclists should have registration plates and insurance for when they scratch my car. They're a danger to themselves and other road users. AND they don't pay road tax.
Cyclists on Motorists: Motorists should be more considerate and give cyclists loads of space - in case one falls off. They cause loads of pollution as well.
Power Boaters on Sailors: Don't understand why you'd want to sail - 5 knots max and you can't even go in a straight line. Also they make life difficult for me in harbours - constantly requiring me to give way.
Sailors on Power Boaters: What's the attraction of power boats - just a car on water. Noisy, smelly, polluting. Most of them don't understand how a boat works and show no skill at handling one or knowledge of nautical laws.

Although I haven't been in a glider for a couple of years I (along with many others) have heard the argument from both sides. The sky is big enough for everyone to share - given a little consideration on both sides.

Personally I think Balloonists should be banned :E

OC619

tmmorris
30th May 2013, 09:58
I did wonder about the decision to return IFR yesterday but the cloud base was <2000 and there were plenty of gaps, plus the cloud base at home was 1200ft and deteriorating (we actually broke out at 600ft on approach) so I'd have had to go IFR at some point. I suppose I could have gone VFR and routed west of Lasham but I'm not sure that would have been safer - at 4000 I was at least likely to be higher than the gliders as far as I could work out.

Tim

Pace
30th May 2013, 10:12
CGB

I had a near miss with a glider while descending through cloud OCAS in a piston twin!
Close enough to see him flash past in solid cloud so very close!
There was a long thread on my incident so I do not want to start that up again but it does seem double standards that a beautifully built and kitted out home built cannot cloud fly while a minimally equipped glider with an untrained instrument pilot can legally do so!
On top of that they are allowed privalages with airspace which we are not!
On the other hand we are so restricted in aviation that we do not need more restrictions added to our gliding fraternity.
Freedom of flight springs to mind powered or unpowered!Sadly the freedom bit is getting less and less

Pace

tmmorris
30th May 2013, 11:17
Quite right, Pace. I've said it before but it's the lack of (legal) IMC in permit types which is keeping me in spamcans, at least for now.

Tim

Pace
30th May 2013, 11:34
IMC in permit types which is keeping me in spamcans, at least for now.

Yes and those permit Types can be beautifully kitted out with panels that would do justice to an Airbus :ok:

Yet the glider equipped with literally nothing can legally go there un announced
One law for one another law for another.
But that is aviation there is no sense in some of the regulations!
I really do not want to restrict gliders but just a level playing field please:E

Pace

Gertrude the Wombat
30th May 2013, 12:28
Yes and those permit Types can be beautifully kitted out with panels that would do justice to an Airbus http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

Yet the glider equipped with literally nothing can legally go there un announced
One law for one another law for another.
But that is aviation there is no sense in some of the regulations!

I was vaguely under the impression that

- IFR capable certified aircraft have to obey rules about things that might include instrumentation, structural strenth, lightning resistance and so on that are of more relevance inside cloud than out

- uncertified aircraft don't have to obey these rules so are more likely to fall apart in clouds so aren't allowed in them

- it doesn't matter if gliders fall apart in cloud because the pilot is wearing a parachute.

If any of that makes any sense then that might be part of your missing logic!

tmmorris
30th May 2013, 12:50
All possibly true, but the USA isn't littered with the wreckage of home builts which fell apart in cloud.

Tim

dont overfil
30th May 2013, 12:54
it doesn't matter if gliders fall apart in cloud because the pilot is wearing a parachute.

But if the remains of the glider were to land on a puppy farm......:ooh: There may then be a change in the law.

Crash one, I agree about dedicated frequencies isolating certain branches of aviation reducing the safety benefit but at least the parachute operators are usually talking to a local radar or FIS frequency on box 2.

D.O.

Pace
30th May 2013, 14:28
Gertrude the W

I understand your point but do not forget that in FAA land home builds are allowed to fly in cloud and on instruments and have done so for years.

Composites Gliders or Home builds are threatened by lightning strikes but not all home builds (like the RV range are composites)

You mention glider pilots wearing parachutes? Not much good to me had I hit the glider I past in cloud!!! or to him had I hit him head on.

Many home builds are now fitted with BRS
One rule for one???

Pace

mm_flynn
30th May 2013, 14:32
I thought gliders were only allowed to fly in IMC either OCAS or in RA(T)s (normally poking up through Class A into the Class C).

In the first case, the UK IFRs provide virtually no collision avoidance value (and in fact forcing all aircraft of various speeds to into narrow altitude bands rather than random altitudes statistically increases collision risk). In the second case, the airspace is given over to glider ops and enroute powered IFR doesn't use the airspace.

As such, a glider in Class G IMC is no better or no worse than a spam can not squawking (and only marginally worse than a mode A only - and even then, only if the aircraft about to hit it has TCAS or PCAS or is in receipt of a radar service).

As far as I am aware gliders in the normal course of events are not allowed to fly under IFR in CAS nor are they allowed to shoot approaches under IFR (and Newton seems to have a law about them executing missed approaches ;) ). As such, it seems perfectly reasonable that they don't meet the certification requirements for IFR operations (which for powered is either certified VFR only or certified for ALL IFR ops (RNAV, MNPS, RVSM excluded)).

I am not a glider pilot, but my understanding is they sink at a much slower rate in a spin, are less likely to overspeed in a loss of control, are easier to maintain up right in IMC, and in the end, are reasonably easy to bail out of and likely to do minimal damage on the ground - so all an all it seems reasonable to fly in IMC with less training than a full IR or IMCr and a parachute.

I do have sympathy for the PFA types which are fully tricked out with highly capable systems but due to their nature are not allowed to operate IFR in the UK and would agree, there doesn't seem to be a problem in States that do allow these aricraft to operate IFR.

Gertrude the Wombat
30th May 2013, 19:55
would agree, there doesn't seem to be a problem in States that do allow these aricraft to operate IFR
Ah, but, maybe this evidence was accumulated after the rules were written?

And we know how hard it is to get bureaucrats to change rules. "If we change that rule and then someone dies their relatives will sue the **** out of us for changing the rule."

mary meagher
3rd Jun 2013, 07:41
Well, boys and girls, the Lasham Competitions are done, and out of 9 possible days, they flew IMPOSSIBLE distances on 6 of them! at least 300k, and up to 475 k. Most managed to get back to Lasham, very few landed out.

More than 80 gliders took part. I would really like to know, did any of you grumpy power pilots suffer the slightest inconvenience?

Heston
3rd Jun 2013, 08:28
I would really like to know, did any of you grumpy power pilots suffer the slightest inconvenience?

Mary, I can almost hear you wanting to add "or have as much fun?" :)

ShyTorque
3rd Jun 2013, 12:11
I would really like to know, did any of you grumpy power pilots suffer the slightest inconvenience?

We didn't hit any gliders, if that's what you mean.....

.....down the pub.

Dave Gittins
3rd Jun 2013, 14:21
Mary, no inconvenience at all. Flew yesterday afternoon from Redhill clockwise round Gatwick to Brighton and carried on via Midhurst back to Redhill.

Lots of traffic being warned by Farnborough E about gliders so the prudent aviator kept well clear.

It was clearly shown on Skydemon where the NOTAMed area was.

Hope you all had a great time.

(Haven't done any serious gliding since 1970 when I did bungee launches off Long Mynd for 2 weeks).

Pace
4th Jun 2013, 08:24
Mary

None of us powered pilots are trying to spoil your fun. I for one am for more freedom of the skies for all of us not less.

Having experienced a very near miss with a glider in cloud while descending in a twin maybe i am not quite as confident with the big sky theory as most!
Are gliders a collision threat? Of course they are! Are they a bigger collision threat than a powered aircraft IMO yes! Why?

Firstly most gliders are composites and tend to be white making them very hard to see especially as the majority of their operations are just under the cloud bases.

The second reason is that they stay in one place circling for lift compared to a powered aircraft which travels in a straight line.
Thirdly they are pack animals rather than the lone wolf powered aircraft!

They do not have transponders and while in cloud cannot fly IFR as they cannot fly level for more than short times.

Like with anything all is fine until it is not and that goes for the rest of us! A collision with a commercial airline operating OCAS would create a dramatic change in regulations overnight and that is something we all need to be aware of powered or gliders.

Jim59
4th Jun 2013, 12:29
... a lot of the things we accept because they've always happened, like gliders in cloud without complying with IFR...
Aircraft in level flight above 3,000' or the transition altitude - whichever is higher are required to fly according to the quadrantal or semi-circular rules. As stated elswewhere gliders have some difficulty in maintaining level flight for sustained periods so are conforming to rule 34. In any case the transition altitude is above 3000' in many areas and could go as high as 18,000 in the future (CAA & EASA consultations) in which case the argument looks a bit dodgy.

The future SERA (Standardised European Rules of the Air) change all this. Above 3000' they want VFR flights to conform to a semi-circular rule as well as IMC flights.

Yet the glider equipped with literally nothing can legally go there un announced...My EASA glider is certified for flight in IMC and EASA specifies the additional instrumentation to be carried.

I was vaguely under the impression that
- IFR capable certified aircraft have to obey rules about things that might include instrumentation, structural strength, lightning resistance and so on that are of more relevance inside cloud than out
- uncertified aircraft don't have to obey these rules so are more likely to fall apart in clouds so aren't allowed in them
- it doesn't matter if gliders fall apart in cloud because the pilot is wearing a parachute.
If any of that makes any sense then that might be part of your missing logic!
As such, it seems perfectly reasonable that they don't meet the certification requirements for IFR operations EASA gliders have to meet EASA certification standards CS-22. They are pretty strong (they have to be to be winch launched), are electrically bonded and meet certification instrumentation requirements. It is true that their lightning resistance is not to CAT standards.

In reality few glider pilots fly in cloud and most of them have been trained to do so in powered aircraft and either hold, or have held, a recognised qualification. However, many glider pilots fly in IMC - i.e. less than 1,000' vertically from cloud above 3,000' and less than 1500 metres horizontally whilst remaining clear of cloud. Once they have (by April 2015) their shiny new EASA sailplane licence (LAPL(S) or SPL they will loose that privilege and be restricted to pure VMC. From that date cloud flying in UK competitions will be banned.

This VFR only rule will hurt the gliding movement (unless they adopt the French approach) since lift is found under clouds and to get anywhere it is highly desirable to climb to near cloud base in a thermal to get the longest glide to the next.

Personally I do fly gliders in cloud sometimes (I have current power instrument qualification) but most of the time I don't. The reasons are simple. The glider gets wet and loses performance. When I'm very near cloud-base I cannot see where the next probable thermal down-track will be so I don't know my best heading. A few hundred feet lower (but not 1000') and I can plan a sensible route.

Pace
4th Jun 2013, 12:41
Jim

I am sorry to read the upcoming EASA restrictions on gliders flying under cloudbases!

As stated I want less restrictions and more freedom for us all not less and I can see that such restrictions will severely limit the gliding fraternity