PDA

View Full Version : Category A & B flights (NB not IFR cats.)

Tinstaafl
29th Apr 2002, 11:33
In spite of searching the UK AIP I can't find a reference to what circumstances allow a flight to class itself as Category A.

I found a single reference in a text book to Category B ie search & rescue/humanitarian flights etc, but no regulatory reference.

Anyone able to expand on these two categories? Are there others and what might the regulatory reference be?

ATCO Two
30th Apr 2002, 13:49
Hi Tinstaafl,

Category A
Aircraft in emergency (e.g., engine fault, fuel shortage, seriously ill passenger). Aircraft which has declared a "Police Emergency". Ambulance/Medical aircraft when the safety of life is involved.

Category B
Flights operating for SAR or other humanitarian reasons, post accident flight checks. Other flights including Open Skies Flights authorised by the CAA.

Ref: Manual of Air Traffic Services Part 1, p 1-32.

Tinstaafl
30th Apr 2002, 15:45
Thanks for that.

Explains why no-one I've asked in the company seems to know since we don't have MATS issued to us!

Any suggestion as to whether an ambulance flight that is not life critical would be Cat A or B?

brimstone
30th Apr 2002, 16:57
Tinstaafl - The answer to that is no, unless there is some other reason why the flight is deemed worthy of high priority.

Incidentally in the past some operators have tried to imply priority by putting STS/hosp. on their flight plans.

I am pleased to see that this now has no significance in terms of exemption from Air Traffic Flow Management restrictions.

:p :p

Tinstaafl
30th Apr 2002, 17:23
Ta muchly.

Medical flights in Oz. have/used to have a flight plan notification which accorded a certain degree of priority. Obviously not the same here.