View Full Version : Video Analysis of Movements

Mark654321
24th May 2013, 10:21
Good day
In light of recent UK emergency landings and maneuvers. Should all airports have strategic video monitoring installed to record all movements especially take off and landing procedures?

Il Duce
27th May 2013, 18:17
Yes, they should.

Il Duce
27th May 2013, 18:18
Changed my mind, no they shouldn't.

obwan
27th May 2013, 19:11
Talking movements, anybody know what Manchester's daily rate is at the moment?

chevvron
27th May 2013, 22:33
So who's gonna pay for it? Many airports already operate on a shoestring and the last thing they would want is to be required to install some expensive monitoring system, especially if they don't have their own radar, so they would then have to pay for radar data via expensive high grade BT lines to be sent to them.

2 sheds
28th May 2013, 07:47
Mark is talking about video recording, not radar data - so that what occurred on the runway - or elsewhere - would be on record. I have always thought that this would be a useful, and I would imagine, inexpensive facility.

2 s

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th May 2013, 09:13
When I was at Heathrow Tower (until 1992) we asked for CCTV to see down the cargo cul de sacs. We were told it would be too costly. Meanwhile, the police had CCTV cameras all over the airport to watch road traffic - even several atop the tower building.

haughtney1
28th May 2013, 11:36
When I was at Heathrow Tower (until 1992) we asked for CCTV to see down the cargo cul de sacs. We were told it would be too costly. Meanwhile, the police had CCTV cameras all over the airport to watch road traffic - even several atop the tower building.

HD all you needed to say was that it was to watch for speeders and non reflective vest wearers, you'd have had them installed before you went off watch:E

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
28th May 2013, 11:41
You're probably right!

chevvron
28th May 2013, 15:31
Even video recording of runway 'events' would be too expensive to install at some airports. There would be the cost of buying the necessary equipment, installing it, installing the cabling to feed it to the aerodrome authority, and of course, a CAA approved recording system which cannot be 'interfered' with. OK bigger airports with high passenger throughput could levy a 'passenger service' charge, but what about those airports which only have occasional business flights in addition to normal private and recreational flying?

DaveReidUK
28th May 2013, 15:53
and of course, a CAA approved recording systemGiven that it's not there to satisfy any statutory requirement, why would it need to be "CAA Approved"?

2 sheds
28th May 2013, 17:35
I think that the implication of the suggestion is that it should perhaps be a statutory requirement. It would certainly seem logical and I am very surprised at the negative attitude above. Quick trip to Maplin and a microwave link - job done.

2 s

chevvron
29th May 2013, 00:33
2 sheds: it's the cost of anything to some airfields. F'rinstance the CAA recommend that RTF at FISO airfields is recorded but unlike with ATC it's not mandatory; so how many FISO airfields do record RTF? Likewise the 'standard' for wind speed/direction to be passed to pilots wef 1 Apr this year is recommended to be a 2 min average rather than instant, but how many FISO airfields could afford to convert their anemometer display to a 2 min average one which passes Met Office inspection? We now have to say 'instant' wind rather than 'surface' wind so that the pilots know what they're getting.
These FISO airfields often operate on a shoestring and simply don't have the money to pay for anything which is not mandatory.

ZOOKER
29th May 2013, 10:48
How would such a video recording system work in LVPs?

2 sheds
29th May 2013, 13:52
Zooker - stop sh!t-stirring, it's obvious that maximum CCTV range would equate to RVR!
Chevvy
I am well aware of financial contraints, believe me. However, why the obsession with FIS aerodromes? In an imagined scenario of such a mandated requirement, I would foresee a few higher priorities. (However, the FIS (and AGCS) aerodromes should jolly well be obliged to have comms recording!)

2 s

FlightPathOBN
29th May 2013, 18:39
Chevron,

My experience is that the airports are making a lot of money, and are probably the only ones making money in the aviation circle of life.

Passenger fees dont really get translated through to the ticket price, the airlines just make even less money...aside from that, how would you justify that to the airlines? That is just part of airport ops and security. Airport security should have cameras all over the place anyways...

What would recording the events provide for anyways, youtube entertainment? The FDR provide significant data from an event.

The other part of my experience is that very few want a record of operations...

2 sheds
30th May 2013, 09:17
What would recording the events provide for anyways, youtube entertainment? The FDR provide significant data from an event.

Accidents, incidents, occurrences on or near the runway?

2 s

Talkdownman
30th May 2013, 15:01
Well for AFIS it is already 'recommended', but I see no reason to record AGCS, after all, it is not viewed as an Air Traffic Service in the UK.

FlightPathOBN
30th May 2013, 15:41
Why wouldn't SMGCS be considered an ATC function?

tubby linton
4th Jun 2013, 22:29
Isn't video a part of acdm?