PDA

View Full Version : Night Rating

collywolly21
23rd May 2013, 20:29
Hi all

I would like to gain my night rating.

Can anyone recommend a school in the north west?

If not in the North West, then, within in reason, I am willing to travel if necessary.

Thanks.....

tomtytom
23rd May 2013, 21:34
I did my night rating with westair at blackpool. Excellent instruction and a friendly school/club environment. There are a few schools at blackpool that will offer night courses so check them out and find the one best suited to yourself. Blackpool shuts at 9pm and has night lights on untill that time. This means you would have to wait until it starts getting closer to autumn. I don't know if liverpool has any advantage over this?

F4TCT
23rd May 2013, 21:42
I think its strictly called a night 'qualification' now..

cant really offer suggestions of schools in north west but well worth having and very enjoyable.I did mine at coventry airport with aeros.

Dan

wb9999
23rd May 2013, 21:55
It is now a rating - since September 2012. I'm sure it will go back to a qualification at some time in the future!

F4TCT
24th May 2013, 18:12
Oh right, i stand corrected. Only did mine on 21st and 22nd December 2011.

Does it really make any difference being a qual or a rating?

Pace
24th May 2013, 18:42
Does it really make any difference being a qual or a rating?

I have never understood the UK night rating its pretty well a worthless piece of training without being part of an instrument qualification. very much a cart before the horse exercise.
Unless of course you like motoring around the airfield doing circuits in the dark or like getting back from a flight with orange skies.
I really do not understand some of the thinking with our regulators! Things which should be difficult they make easy things which should be easy they make difficult :ugh:

Pace

Airlinepilot1687
24th May 2013, 19:32
I second Westair got a great setup with a nice C172 to complete it in. I did mine at Newcastle plenty of time available there to get it done, i know of people flying around at silly hours of the night in order to get it done. Northumbria Aviation nice little club and good price. I think most people will tell you it's more than likely you may be waiting for the shorter days to get it done. Worth contacting Newcastle though. I guess it's all down to how quickly you need to get it done. Good luck with what ever you decide. :ok:

BillieBob
24th May 2013, 21:53
I really do not understand some of the thinking with our regulators!Even more so now that the regulator doesn't write the rules.