PDA

View Full Version : Position of feet during take off roll?

Boyington
21st May 2013, 16:57
Where should the feet be positioned during the take off roll in a A 320-with the heels resting on the floor or on the top of the rudder pedals?

Agaricus bisporus
21st May 2013, 19:46
You wouldn't get far with heels resting on the top of the rudder pedals...

I think what you mean is either heels on floor, feet on rudder or feet on rudder, toes on brakes.

Personally I find I can put my instep on the pedals and have the ball of the foot covering but not touching the brakes. Oddly I do that for take off, but heels on floor for landing unless it is very gusty and I think I may need differential braking for control. (use of autobrake makes toes on brakes unnecessary until at low speed).

Is there a "right" and "wrong" way to do it? If so I suppose I must be wrong!

ahramin
21st May 2013, 19:47
Neither. Feet on the pedals. Heel on the bottom of the pedal, ball on the top.

You'll note the pedals are roughly the size and shape of the feet, for a reason.

halfofrho
21st May 2013, 20:32
Heels on the floor. Just be ready on takeoff or landing incase you need to dance with the brakes.

This way (at least in training) it tends to prevent you from stamping on the brakes during RTO's - the autobrakes will always do a better job than we can. ;)

ahramin
22nd May 2013, 18:31
Heels on the floor. Just be ready on takeoff or landing incase you need to dance with the brakes.

This way (at least in training) it tends to prevent you from stamping on the brakes during RTO's - the autobrakes will always do a better job than we can.
You have the right idea, but the wrong method. Any time you are controlling the aircraft, your feet should be on the pedals. Not your toes, your FEET. This is especially important during takeoff and landing as the brakes are part of the controls.

Anyone who can't get it through their head that you don't brake during an RTO unless the autobrakes have failed isn't going to stop doing it because they have to move their feet. It just means that much more of a delay if they do need to use the brakes. Either train them to proficiency or get rid of them.

Instructors need to stop making up silly arguments and procedures and learn the basics. Feet on the pedals.

Piltdown Man
24th May 2013, 15:41
First thing to do is ignore shouty people like ahramin. Flying gurus whom God has personally appointed to teach aviation should really confine themselves to teaching other god-like people.

The actual answer has to depend on how big and strong you are and what you are doing. The reason I say it "depends" is because what you don't want to be doing is applying any brake on a take-off roll. But at the same time, you must be able to have full rudder control and if necessary, full control of the brakes. On an RTO, you don't mess about. Normally, the autobrake system will bring you to a rapid and sudden halt but you must be ready to back them up. And this is where size and strength comes into things. If you are a strong person with big feet, you'll probably be able to apply full brake pressure with ease but a small person with dainty little pins might have to give the brakes a good stomp higher up on the pedals. So if I was someone with little feet, I'd place my feet on the pedals in such a way that the tips of my toes were nearer the end of the pedals. With bigger feet, I'd have them lower down.

Personally, whenever I'm steering with my feet I have my heels off the floor (which I believe is important because it enables a more rapid and full movement) but have my feet positioned so that my arches/insteps towards the base of the pedal. This enables full braking, full rudder control but reduces the chance of inadvertent brake application during the take-off roll.

Hope that helps.

Dak Man
24th May 2013, 16:06
You A320 guys know nowt, for example if you were A380 guys you would know that your feet should be either side of the hostie kneeling in front of you.......

Piltdown Man
24th May 2013, 16:13
Sounds like my sort of plane.