PDA

View Full Version : Enstone Airfield

tomtytom
21st May 2013, 07:29
Hoping to fly my girlfriend down to Enstone as I have booked her into Heythrop spa for the day as a surprise.

Should I book with Oxfordshire Sport flying or Enstone flying club? Price isthe same so I'm not sure what the difference is. Il be arriving at 10am is andleaving at 4ish in a Robin DR400 cadet.

Will also need fuel.

Cheers

Tomtytom

avonflyer
21st May 2013, 08:14
No real difference enstone flying club is at the end of the origional runway Oxford about half way down so you go past that establishment first. Both friendly although last time I was in enstone club there was nobody about to take my landing fee (It seemed that all they do is put it in an envelope and send it across to the other club).

Dusty_B
21st May 2013, 09:16
If you want AvGas, you'll end up having to visit EFC anyway. Still, you can fill up at EFC, pay for the fuel, then taxi accross to EFC and pay the landing fee if you want... but a little pointless!
(OSF have a very limited supply of MoGas for their gliders, so if you want that flavour, call them beore hand to check availability).

Word of caution, EFC is currently in the process of moving from one end of the airfield to the other. The fuel is still at one end, the chip and pin reader at the other!! May be a couple more weeks before it's all in one place. Bonus is that EFC new club house is closer to Heythrop than either OSF or the old club house.

Both clubs are friendly. If there are spare bods around, someone may even offer you a lift to the Spa too.

tomtytom
21st May 2013, 10:56
Yes im after avgas so will give EFC a ring today and book some PPR and Fuel. I have had a quote from a taxi firm they want £25 for there and back!! its only 6miles there and back! i would quite happily contribute some fuel/beer money to a local to give us a lift.

Tomtytom

Dusty_B
21st May 2013, 11:38
To be fair, I'm guessing "local" taxi firm is either Chippy or Woodstock based, so they'd have do do a fair few miles just to get to you.

tomtytom
21st May 2013, 12:06
Just booked in with Enstone flying club. Really friendlychap on the phone has offered us a lift as well so could be any better! Sundays punishment for failure to abide by noise abatement procedure is hanging and loss of any decent avionics so I shall have my game face on and be on the ball for arrival.:cool::)
Tomtytom

(edited to correct errors from attempted speed typing...)

wsmempson
21st May 2013, 13:15
Juts remember to look out for the fence down the middle of the airfield, which separates the grass runway from the tarmac; a little internecine grudge-match in action!

mary meagher
21st May 2013, 21:05
And for a bit of Enstone history, see my commment page 5 of the Caenerfon crash thread....

Ultranomad
23rd May 2013, 19:49
BTW, the northside grass runway on the other side of the fence at Enstone belongs to a nice maintenance facility under the proud name of Enstone Airlines, run by two senior maintenance engineers from BA. Thoroughly recommended. They do my CAMO and annuals. They also do a lot of vintage aircraft.

tomtytom
23rd May 2013, 20:01
Well aircraft is booked ppr is booked heythrop spa is booked and other half thinks we are going mountain walking and the weather forecast is pretty good for now. I have list of things from my good ladys friend of what she will need to take and got the wicca hamper packed with some goodies. I'll post back on how it goes.

Wish me luck.

Captain Gadget
23rd May 2013, 20:23
Good luck!

Gadget :ok:

cockney steve
24th May 2013, 11:33
got the wicca hamper

Do tell us more!:} pointy hats and woad and nekkid dancing and stuff?

tomtytom
26th May 2013, 11:21
As I am writing this I am post back neck massage sat having lunch at the spa. Its a lovely day out and other half is very impressed :)

tomtytom
26th May 2013, 21:45
Trip was a success! Other half very happy and I have endured a spa for first time ever. The wicker basket sits very nicely in the boot. :)