PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic ditching?

Weary
20th May 2013, 10:24
Just got back from an Atlantic crossing.
Around midnight zulu (perhaps a little earlier - didn't note the time) I heard on international HF (New York ARINC) an aircraft reporting overhearing a second aircraft that was supposedly communicating with a third aircraft, which reported a "cockpit fire, ditching in the ocean". The approximate position given (which I had difficulty discerning on HF) sounded like it was somewhere around 75W?
It was quite a long exchange with NY, who subsequently passed it on to another agency when it appeared that the aircraft was not supposedly in his airspace.

Any other crews overhear the same conversation?
Anyone else got any info?

Hopefully it was a false alarm - I cannot imagine the terror of ditching in the ocean at night.

Jet Jockey A4
20th May 2013, 12:50
Hope it did not happen but at 75W he would have been fairly south so "warmer waters".

Weary
20th May 2013, 18:06
Someone must know something - I didn't imagine it. There were plenty of aircraft making the crossing last night and I cannot believe that we were the only aircraft that heard the content and gravitas of the NY ARINC operator's replies as he was taking the call.
What about one of you US Airways guys? - there was one of your flights paralleling our route a little further north also on that frequency at that time, anybody heard anything???

spooky3
20th May 2013, 18:20
Someone must know something - I didn't imagine it. There were plenty of aircraft making the crossing last night and I cannot believe that we were the only aircraft that heard the content and gravitas of the NY ARINC operator's replies as he was taking the call.
What about one of you US Airways guys? - there was one of your flights paralleling our route a little further north also on that frequency at that time, anybody heard anything???

Could it be similar to this?

Search suspended for helicopter after hoax call - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-05-20/helicopter-believed-to-have-crashed-near-gingin/4701252)

Weary
20th May 2013, 18:35
Wrong part of the world Spooky3 for the frequencies being used and the agencies involved.

Weary
20th May 2013, 19:06
Yes - always a possibility, and may well explain the total lack of news info.

spooky3
20th May 2013, 20:05
Originally Posted by Weary
Wrong part of the world Spooky3 for the frequencies being used and the agencies involved.

I think he means it might be a hoax, too

Yes that's what i meant, unfortunately there is some sick people out there!