PDA

View Full Version : Timescale to convert to EASA licence ?

742-xx
20th May 2013, 02:10
I have a JAR PPL (I think!).
Anyway, whatever I have expires later this year. It will have reached five years old.
My question is has anybody recently converted to an EASA licence and if so what is the current timescale ?
I know that when everything first went 'EASA' it was taking a very long time.
I was told that if I went down to Gatwick in person they can do it there and then.
I need to fly every six weeks to stay 'current' in terms of the insurance where I fly.

Anyway, many thanks.

Whopity
20th May 2013, 07:09
It can take anywhere between 2 and 3 months. Complete SRG 1104 send it in and wait, your existing licence remains valid in the mean time so it really doesn't matter how long it takes until you get near the expiry date.

OpenCirrus619
20th May 2013, 09:30
Also worth noting that you don't have to send your existing licence in with the 1104 - so you still have it when you fly.

OC619

742-xx
20th May 2013, 11:54
Thanks for the replies. Most helpful.

24Carrot
20th May 2013, 12:51
I got mine back this month; it took just under four weeks.

742-xx
20th May 2013, 13:16
I got mine back this month; it took just under four weeks.

Many thanks.

OpenCirrus619
20th May 2013, 13:38
Useful to also know that they will prioritise licences that are about to expire.

When I sent mine in I waited 3-4 weeks then phoned up, just to check it had arrived - was told, since my JAR CPL didn't expire for a couple of years (yes years) the turn-round would be a little longer.

The time wasn't an issue for me - the fact that, once I received my licence, I discovered:

I wasn't a native English speaker any more
My CRI was not valid for TMG

was a bit of a shock. To be fair, however, once made aware of the issues they did re-issue the (corrected) licences (I got both the EASA and UK versions since I fly Annex II) the same day :D

The missing TMG and IMC/IR(R) on the UK version of the licence are another story (apparently neither should be on a UK CPL).

OC619

24Carrot
20th May 2013, 16:34
Useful to also know that they will prioritise licences that are about to expire.

Interesting. My JAA licence expiry was indeed next month.