PDA

View Full Version : IR on Additional Class Rating

tdk90
19th May 2013, 19:44
Hello all..

I've looks at 804, Part - FCL etc and would like someone to kindly confirm my interpretation!

I have an ATPL with 2 type ratings and a multi engine IR, no other classes. I do have a lot of SEP/MEP but on a FAA licence which is not current.

If I add a single pilot (single or multi engine) class, I think that my IR privileges would transfer and then I could revalidate the IR portion of those additional classes during my LPC on one of the type rating ac.

What do you think?

S-Works
19th May 2013, 20:17
Yes. Just do a combined LPC for SEP and IR.

tdk90
19th May 2013, 20:59
So my LST for a SE class would not include an IR portion because I have an IR(A) already?

ifitaintboeing
19th May 2013, 21:18
tdk90, have you ever held a single-pilot IR on your UK (or JAR-FCL/EASA) licence?

tdk90
20th May 2013, 06:07
No, no single pilot IR on a JAR/EASA licence ever.

ifitaintboeing
20th May 2013, 07:01
If I add a single pilot (single or multi engine) class, I think that my IR privileges would transfer and then I could revalidate the IR portion of those additional classes during my LPC on one of the type rating ac.

No, this is not quite how it works unfortunately.

As you have not held a SEP class rating, you must complete training as assessed at an ATO, plus a LST.

For your single-pilot IR, you will be considered as an initial IR applicant. Although, since you hold a (multi-pilot) IR and have held a ICAO single-pilot IR you will require training as assessed at an ATO, plus an initial IR (single-pilot) skill test. See CAP 804, Section 4, Part Q, Subpart 1, page 3,4,5.

Once both are valid, you may revalidate your SEP class rating by experience and use cross-crediting to keep your IR-SPA-SEP current as per Standards Document 14.

If you decide to go for MEP it is as above to obtain the MEP and IR (MEP LST and SPA-IR-MEP skill test). Then it works slightly differently when it comes to revalidating as some form of LPC on MEP is always required to revalidate a MEP+IR (MEP class rating and IR-SPA-MEP - with cross-credits for multi-pilot IR). The IR-SPA-MEP is valid for SEP, although you will still require a valid SEP class rating to fly SEP.

ifitaint...

tdk90
20th May 2013, 07:18
Thanks very much, that was what I suspected but was unable to definitively prove! That certainly makes sense...

ifitaintboeing
20th May 2013, 07:20
Edited my post above to add the bit about the IR-SPA-MEP being valid on SEP also, and to keep all the info in one place.

ifitaint...

S-Works
20th May 2013, 07:30
I have an ATPL with 2 type ratings and a multi engine IR, no other classes. I do have a lot of SEP/MEP but on a FAA licence which is not current.

With all respect to ifitaint then OP states that he has a multi engine IR already. Therefore he won't be an initial applicant as he should already hold an SP IR. Therefore as I read it they need to add an SEP Class rating then renew the SP IR by an LPC.

Training as required for the SEP and a test. Unless I a missing something?

ifitaintboeing
20th May 2013, 07:47
bose, TDK90 has stated that he has a multi-engine IR... but omitted to state that it's also multi-pilot, so he doesn't hold a SP IR. Hence my question prior to answering, and TDK confirming:

No, no single pilot IR on a JAR/EASA licence ever.

TDK90 has therefore never held a single-pilot (single-engine or multi-engine) IR on his UK/JAR-FCL/EASA, and must complete the IR single-pilot skill test in order to exercise SPA-IR privileges.

ifitaint...

S-Works
20th May 2013, 08:11
Ah OK! Thanks for the clarification.

tdk90
20th May 2013, 08:40
Thanks again!