PDA

View Full Version : Headset repair options

StuartUK
19th May 2013, 13:08
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a DC 10-13.4 headset from eBay but the mic was dead on arrival. The reason for me post is to get your opinions on the best way forward.

Option 1 - Order & fit a non-OEM replacement mic (e.g. Acousticom's M7A replacement for ~£35 from the US). I've struggled to find where to buy a replacement mic in the UK....any suggestions would be appreciated.

Option 2 - Take it to HSL for them to take a look at it, but then I'd probably need to sell one of my kidneys to be able to pay for it.

Option 3 - Send it back to DC in the States for them to fix. I've heard a lot of good things about their repairs (free ear gels & head pad...possibly free mic??) but then it's away for a while and I'm not 100% that they even deal with non-US customers directly.

As the headset was bought from eBay I don't know how old it is and the seller hasn't replied to my enquiry. I would have thought that it is out of its warranty period.

What would you guys do? I'm leaning towards option 1.

Thanks!

stevelup
19th May 2013, 13:43
Do you actually know it's the mic and not the cable or internal wiring?

Jim59
19th May 2013, 14:02
If it is not as described on ebay and the seller is ignoring you then ask ebay to refund you.

StuartUK
19th May 2013, 14:23
Thanks for the replies.

stevelup - I've done a continuity test from the plug to the mic pins and everything look fine there. Another piece of info I should have added to my previous post was that the mic picks up very loud sounds, e.g. blowing into the mic, but not speech or even shouting.

Jim59 - I was considering that but seeing as the headset was pretty cheap at around £80, even if I need to spend another £35 on a new mic I still think I've done alright...£115 for a spotless headset.

riverrock83
19th May 2013, 16:55
If the mic doesn't work, yet it was described as working in the listing, you don't know what other damage it might have had. Has it been submerged in water? You wouldn't know
My advice: send it back. If they then want to claim the microphone repair from the shipping company - that's up to them.

Presuming you don't take that advice, get a bigger discount off the price from the seller. If you end up needing parts - they aren't cheap compared to what you've already paid:
http://www.davidclark.com/store/productslist.aspx?CategoryID=8&selection=8

In saying that, most of the DC headsets have a gain control screw on the mic itself - it might be worth playing with it (normally a tiny adjustment produces a big change).

StuartUK
20th May 2013, 12:26
Thanks for all of the replies guys. I'll see what I can do with the seller and eBay.

Dusty_B
21st May 2013, 09:20
HSL are the servicing centre for DC in the UK anyway, so you'd still have to send it to them. If there's any chance of it being done as warrenty work, they'll sort it out for you.